Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Aug 9, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #15,631 of 23,482
  Quote:

Looking forward to Tuesday which is when I'm receiving my Eddie Current Zana Deux Super.  I can't count the number of posts & testimonies  I've read stating that this is the one, the best amp for the HD6X0 siblings which I've always owned.  This will be my last shot at finding the best amp synergy (some head-fiers don't like this term) wise for the HD600.  

With the current movement of self justifying minimalism on this thread lately, I am sure your impressions will be a welcome relief for some of us.

that moment when a guy who has plenty of TOTL gears gets frustrated to see people happy with less.
2000$ amp for 300$ headphone, there at least we don't need no silly self justification right? what a relief.
wink_face.gif

I hadn't looked up the price, but $2400 for a headphone amp is too much for me. I draw the line at €1500, which is about what my speaker amplifier cost, and they power a pair of hard to drive floorstanding speakers (4 Ohm). A headphone amp that costs even half that must be pretty amazing already, and give a noticeable improvement in sound quality for me to be able to justify its purchase
wink_face.gif

But hey, if BobG55 likes it, why not. They'd look quite good in the living room (though perhaps a bit of a hassle to keep dust free).

everybody should buy what they want to. I would never even dream of contesting that, if only because I wouldn't accept others to tell me what I can and cannot buy. it's obviously the "justifying" part that triggered my irony'o'meter. eddy current gears have a solid reputation as far as I know and I wasn't trying to denigrate them or Bob for getting some. he can afford this, great for him.

Aug 9, 2016 at 5:46 AM Post #15,632 of 23,482
  everybody should buy what they want to. I would never even dream of contesting that, if only because I wouldn't accept others to tell me what I can and cannot buy. it's obviously the "justifying" part that triggered my irony'o'meter. eddy current gears have a solid reputation as far as I know and I wasn't trying to denigrate them or Bob for getting some. he can afford this, great for him.

I didn't think your reply was aimed at Bob, and I found the irony in Fearless1's reply quite amusing as well.

I can understand someone getting such an expensive amp because they get a good feeling from it, in this case most likely from both the sound and the looks. I can understand buying such an expensive amp for a relatively cheap headphone, too, because no two headphones sound alike (not entirely, anyway), and if you like the sound of the HD600, I can understand wanting to get the best to go with it.

I would never be able to justify such an expense for myself, however. If I could, I'd have a Stax SR-009, probably
wink.gif

Aug 9, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #15,633 of 23,482

The ironic thing about my wording vs your interpretation is that justifying ( as I used it) was referring to certain members need to feel they are right regardless of experience, or not acknowledging/respecting others views or experience.

Now I know two trigger words to summon you from the depths of the sound science forum, justifying and......O2

Aug 9, 2016 at 6:18 AM Post #15,634 of 23,482
I didn't think your reply was aimed at Bob, and I found the irony in Fearless1's reply quite amusing as well.

I'm glad I "amused" you, now go and enjoy your gear, I'll enjoy mine.

As far as reading material on a thread, sure I want to hear about a 60 dollar Fiio amp having the ability to drive the HD600, but I also would like to post/read about subtle changes that take place when different/scaling amplification is used or using an OTL amp without the "sound scientists" telling the poster his/hers(rare) ears are wrong.

There is a passion to this hobby, but we all hear different and have different views. I like the way the HD600 "scales", because guess what? It actually does. If that "amuses you" so be it.

Aug 9, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #15,635 of 23,482
As far as reading material on a thread, sure I want to hear about a 60 dollar Fiio amp having the ability to drive the HD600, but I also would like to post/read about subtle changes that take place when different/scaling amplification is used or using an OTL amp without the "sound scientists" telling the poster his/hers(rare) ears are wrong.

There is a passion to this hobby, but we all hear different and have different views. I like the way the HD600 "scales", because guess what? It actually does. If that "amuses you" so be it.

I never told anyone that his or her ears were wrong. Everyone experiences sound differently, which is what makes it often difficult to determine what headphone gives what kind of sound. Or how much influence an amp has on the sound. Measurements are sort of a neutral ground, but, to me at least, are not necessarily more helpful than other's opinions.

Despite my amusement, confirmation bias, or justifying, can work both ways, I agree. Both someone who bought something expensive and someone who bought something cheap may feel obliged to defend their choice for the expensive/cheap thing as being the right choice.

I'm not trying to say you or Bob are wrong in getting a good amp for your HD600 (and other headphones), if that is what you enjoy and you can afford it, more power to you.

Aug 9, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #15,636 of 23,482
I had a chance to choose between HD650 and HD600 and 600 was my clear choice. I had HD600 for few days but had to sent them back because of packaging problems. Then I checked HD650 for a very good price (demo) in a local store. They did not sound right after listening to HD600, it's not too much bass but loss of details and clarity and the sound is not neutral across the whole spectrum. I considered HD800 but reordered 600 and never had any second thoughts. I may buy HD800s at some point, those may be new HD600. 

Aug 9, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #15,637 of 23,482
I had a chance to choose between HD650 and HD600 and 600 was my clear choice. I had HD600 for few days but had to sent them back because of packaging problems. Then I checked HD650 for a very good price (demo) in a local store. They did not sound right after listening to HD600, it's not too much bass but loss of details and clarity and the sound is not neutral across the whole spectrum. I considered HD800 but reordered 600 and never had any second thoughts. I may buy HD800s at some point, those may be new HD600. 
After thinking long & hard I think I will also get the HD600. I'm targeting a headphone that is neutral with lovely clarity since my TH-X00 is arriving soon so that'll be my 'fun' headphone. I would love to try it out with my M9XX but I don't have the time right now plus there's not a single audio shop in my town.

How would you compare the sound of the HD600 to the HE400i?

Aug 9, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #15,638 of 23,482
After thinking long & hard I think I will also get the HD600. I'm targeting a headphone that is neutral with lovely clarity since my TH-X00 is arriving soon so that'll be my 'fun' headphone. I would love to try it out with my M9XX but I don't have the time right now plus there's not a single audio shop in my town.

I wish I could help, but I sold my 400i about 3 months ago. Hopefully somebody in this thread has both.

Aug 9, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #15,639 of 23,482
There is still no headphone in the world that would truly outclass the HD600. So can't go wrong buying it either way...

It's a staple that should be in everyone's collection, IMO.

Aug 9, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #15,640 of 23,482
  There is still no headphone in the world that would truly outclass the HD600. So can't go wrong buying it either way...

It's a staple that should be in everyone's collection, IMO.

I could staple it to my head for hours on end.

Aug 9, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #15,641 of 23,482
Aug 9, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #15,642 of 23,482

I don't have the HE400i, but what I can tell you is that I have both the HD600 and TH-X00 Mahogany and they are a fabulous combination to have around. They complement each other in exactly the right ways to cover all the different music you might listen to.

I could staple it to my head for hours on end.

You haven't done that already?
tongue.gif

Aug 9, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #15,645 of 23,482

And what about the HiFiMan 400S?  Some say that its signature is very similar to the HD600/650...

I'm sorry mate, never heard the 400s so I can't know. I could speculate with the 400i versus the HD 600 as I owned the 400i, and currently have the 600, but audio memory is pretty notorious for not being accurate. Many people believe it is more accurate than science would suggest, but that is for another forum ... What are your concerns with say getting the HD 600 as opposed to the 400i? Both are extremely nice headphones for sure so the idea of a wrong choice seems like a minimal risk. What do you listen to and what amp do you have? As long as the amp can reasonably drive the headphones, StanD is a good person to ask about that, you should be fine. I did find the 400i a modest load so your phone isn't going to do it, but when I used my ONKYO DP-X1 in balanced mode (150mW) it sounded quite nice and with contemporary, louder masters it got to a decent volume. Older quieter masters with more dynamics didn't get loud enough for me mind you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back