Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Aug 8, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #15,601 of 23,499
  that moment when a guy who has plenty of TOTL gears gets frustrated to see people happy with less.
2000$ amp for 300$ headphone, there at least we don't need no silly self justification right? what a relief.
wink_face.gif

I must be hearing things.
beerchug.gif
 If I was going to part with that much dosh, I'd invest in a pair of HD800S cans. To each their own.

Aug 8, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #15,602 of 23,499
I must be hearing things.:beerchug:  If I was going to part with that much dosh, I'd invest in a pair of HD800S cans. To each their own.
Audition first if you can. I've got the original 800 heavily modded & it's not a very fun headphone. 600 & 650 get much more time. Definitely the least favorite in my collection.

Aug 8, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #15,603 of 23,499
With the current movement of self justifying minimalism on this thread lately, I am sure your impressions will be a welcome relief for some of us.

Well, I understand both perspectives. I have a lovely OTL tube amp here that an OTL and HD 600 devotee who owns both swears is more enjoyable for her than the Zana Deux Super, and she has both at the same time. I'm sure it is all so subjective, what does more enjoyable sound like right? I have the La Figaro 339, but when it shipped to me one of the input tubes was damaged so I haven't been able to even hear it yet! Replacement tubes are on the way.

I'm not sure how different if at all an OTL amp will sound. I did have a first generation Valhalla years ago, but I was pretty fresh then and had little headamp experience so no real frame of reference. I know I enjoyed it with my DT 880 (600ohm) and HD 650 that I owned back then. I have two nice solid state options so I did want to try the tube/OTL route to see if they really were different sounding. I wouldn't mind a somewhat lush sound from time to time so I'll wait and see how it shakes out. The La Figaro was much less money than something like the Eddie Current offering, which I couldn't afford anyway, nor do I think I would go that high. I would spend that on good speakers mind you.

While I think there can be sound signature differences for sure, I do tend to ascribe to the way StanD thinks in the sense that most amps and DACs these days are rather capable devices and past signature differences, the actual differences in sound quality for lack of a better term should be somewhat hard to spot. However, I do believe in sound signatures and personal preferences so that makes trying new gear and combinations worth it. As well, and I think this is a perfectly valid reason to try new gear, many of us won't admit it, but I also like the looks of gear and the combination of small sound signature changes and a new toy give me pleasure. Objectively I wonder if I could tell them apart easily, often I'm sure I couldn't, but the joy of the subjective is also valid and I do get why people go down the rabbit hole. Our brains are hard-wired to seek out novelty, and for some, audio gear scratches that itch. Nothing wrong there as long as people don't go around insisting that only really expensive boutique kit has the potential to sound great, we know from experience that isn't the case always. Some budget rigs sound stunning.

Aug 8, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #15,604 of 23,499
I also agree with that thinking. The amps build/power supply and etc. make slight differences in sound signatures, I wish I could afford the Eddie Current to compare for myself.

I come to this thread/forum to read about these impressions, and I look forward to this one from a respected member who has been chasing a particular signature.

Aug 8, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #15,605 of 23,499
I also agree with that thinking. The amps build/power supply and etc. make slight differences in sound signatures, I wish I could afford the Eddie Current to compare for myself.

I come to this thread/forum to read about these impressions, and I look forward to this one from a respected member who has been chasing a particular signature.

Thanks mate, yes I'm curious to hear what he has to say about the Zana Deux/HD 600 combination myself.

Aug 8, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #15,606 of 23,499
Audition first if you can. I've got the original 800 heavily modded & it's not a very fun headphone. 600 & 650 get much more time. Definitely the least favorite in my collection.

I've listened to the HD800 as well as the HD800S. I like both but the HD800S was more appealing, except for the price. Neither of them scaled in price to sound. Although the 800S was better to my ears, it wasn't  anywhere near $1,300 plus better. If anyone would be so kind to gift me a pair I will graciously accept them. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I found the HD700 to be overly strident to my ears.

Aug 8, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #15,607 of 23,499
I've listened to the HD800 as well as the HD800S. I like both but the HD800S was more appealing, except for the price. Neither of them scaled in price to sound. Although the 800S was better to my ears, it wasn't  anywhere near $1,300 plus better. If anyone would be so kind to gift me a pair I will graciously accept them. :)  
I found the HD700 to be overly strident to my ears.
Yes, I had the hd-700 for a few months. Just a mess imo. One of my few bad investments.focal elear is the next can I'd like to hear

Aug 8, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #15,608 of 23,499
I wonder if the HD 700 can be saved by equalizing? They are being practically given away compared to their once suggested retail price. I wouldn't pay over $400 for a HD 700.

Aug 8, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #15,609 of 23,499
  I wonder if the HD 700 can be saved by equalizing? They are being practically given away compared to their once suggested retail price. I wouldn't pay over $400 for a HD 700.

I always say, why buy a pair of headphones or IEMs that you don't like. You can probably fix it with a parametric EQ, however, that means you would have to configure EQ's for every player (app) that you use and on every platform. I use a lot of players so that would not appeal to me, too much hassle.
If the 700s weren't strident/piercing, I would like them a lot. Unfortunately it doesn't take long for them to become fatiguing, at least for me. I really wanted to like them.

Aug 8, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #15,610 of 23,499
  I always say, why buy a pair of headphones or IEMs that you don't like. You can probably fix it with a parametric EQ, however, that means you would have to configure EQ's for every player (app) that you use and on every platform. I use a lot of players so that would not appeal to me, too much hassle.
If the 700s weren't strident/piercing, I would like them a lot. Unfortunately it doesn't take long for them to become fatiguing, at least for me. I really wanted to like them.

True, but, this is the question, if somebody really only used one player (which I'm sure describes quite a few people including myself), could the HD 700 be made to sound very good via EQ? I'm not in the market at all, but for others it may be worth considering as they really do go for almost nothing now and I'll bet by late this year for even less as stock gets cleared out.

Aug 8, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #15,611 of 23,499
  True, but, this is the question, if somebody really only used one player (which I'm sure describes quite a few people including myself), could the HD 700 be made to sound very good via EQ? I'm not in the market at all, but for others it may be worth considering as they really do go for almost nothing now and I'll bet by late this year for even less as stock gets cleared out.

Under those conditions, if one had a parametric EQ and knows how to use it, most likely yes. Some folks deplore EQ, so obviously they wouldn't get on that bus.

Aug 8, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #15,612 of 23,499

It might be possible to notch out the mid treble spike, but with the HD 700 you're also battling against ringing, which EQ can't help. I've actually seen an interesting thread on the high seas about a pad mod that supposedly fixed the spike. Tyll even did measurements that showed it smoothed out. The end result was described as sounding quite a bit like an HD 600...

...at which point the exercise becomes somewhat pointless. For even the reduced money over the HD 700's MSRP, an HD 600 plus something nice with the extra ~$100 (like a decent amp or some music) still sounds like a better deal, IMO.

Aug 8, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #15,613 of 23,499
It might be possible to notch out the mid treble spike, but with the HD 700 you're also battling against ringing, which EQ can't help. I've actually seen an interesting thread on the high seas about a pad mod that supposedly fixed the spike. Tyll even did measurements that showed it smoothed out. The end result was described as sounding quite a bit like an HD 600...

...at which point the exercise becomes somewhat pointless. For even the reduced money over the HD 700's MSRP, an HD 600 plus something nice with the extra ~$100 (like a decent amp or some music) still sounds like a better deal, IMO.

Fair enough. I feel very badly for the people who paid full-pop when the HD 700 came out. Imagine trying to sell them used? That said, I know some people seem to enjoy them quite a bit.

Aug 8, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #15,614 of 23,499

Aside from the nasty dips and peaks in the treble, the HD700 does have a little more sub bass. For me the treble is too volatile and would require more fiddling with the EQ than I'd be willing to diddle with.

Aug 8, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #15,615 of 23,499
When I look at that graph, I would think the mid bass/upper bass would be strong enough to mask some treble issues, but the mids look recessed in comparison. Is this how it plays out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back