Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Aug 6, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #15,571 of 23,497
If you had the chance to choose between the Hd600 & HD650, new unit & same price, which would you choose and why? Sorry to ask this here, but I'm stuck on the decision & I have to decide quickly.

I currently have the Grace M9XX, Aune T1se, AKG K7XX & TH-X00 Purpleheart arriving soon. Looking for something a bit different to complement those headphones. I love bass, but I love vocal clarity as well. I mostly listen to mainstream music though.

600's for me. Clarity and natural sound. A bit bass light though TBH.
If I was after a bass head phone it would not be the 650.
The best bass phone I have heard was the Demon 7000.
Did nothing else particularly well though.
I often think it would be nice to have the 7000 to complement the 600's.
A phone that would encompass both digs would be awesome.
The 650 is not that phone IMHO.

Aug 6, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #15,572 of 23,497
You should consider pairing the HD600's with the TH-X00 by Fostex and sold on Massdrop.  The TH-X00 is very similar to the Denon 5000/7000/Fostex TH-900 and costs between $400-500 depending on what kind of wood cups you want (Mahogany, Ebony, Purpleheart) and they do make a difference in sound signature.  I haven't received my TH-X00 Purpleheart quite yet, but others have said they're the perfect bassy and fun sounding headphone to compliment the natural and balanced HD600.  I've owned the 600's for almost a year and absolutely love them, so obviously I'm pumped to compare the two headphones in a few weeks when I get the chance.

Aug 6, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #15,573 of 23,497
If you had the chance to choose between the Hd600 & HD650, new unit & same price, which would you choose and why? Sorry to ask this here, but I'm stuck on the decision & I have to decide quickly.

I currently have the Grace M9XX, Aune T1se, AKG K7XX & TH-X00 Purpleheart arriving soon. Looking for something a bit different to complement those headphones. I love bass, but I love vocal clarity as well. I mostly listen to mainstream music though.

I like both. I went for the 650 for the silliest reason, I knew I would EQ the subs so I picked the one that showed an already louder sub on online measurements. that simple ^_^.
 both unEQed, IMO the 650 sounds a tad more "relaxed"? not sure if it means something to you but it's the only subjective idea I can think of. depending on your own desire, it's a good or a bad thing.

Aug 6, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #15,575 of 23,497
  What would be a good price for HD 600s? I am currently in Canada, looking to try these out. And will Dragonfly Red be able to power them well?

Used or new? I would want to pay at most $375 Canadian used. Not that they aren't a great sound signature, but there are so many excellent headphone choices now.

Aug 6, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #15,579 of 23,497
  I am looking to buy used right now. Which other alternatives would you suggest I try out? I currently have the Hifiman HE400S for my home use needs.

I guess it would depend on many things. What qualities in a headphone signature do you most value? What styles of music do you listen to the most and in what environment? Is the Dragonfly Red your current amp? And are you interested in open designs only or might closed headphones be considered?

Aug 6, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #15,580 of 23,497
  I guess it would depend on many things. What qualities in a headphone signature do you most value? What styles of music do you listen to the most and in what environment? Is the Dragonfly Red your current amp? And are you interested in open designs only or might closed headphones be considered?

I am fine with open or closed back, I would prefer a somewhat extended bass from my HE400S'. I love the mids of HE400S', so something along those lines. Not really looking to get a new amp yet. If that is necessary for other options then I'll have to wait for a while before I get new headphones.

Aug 6, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #15,581 of 23,497
  I am fine with open or closed back, I would prefer a somewhat extended bass from my HE400S'. I love the mids of HE400S', so something along those lines. Not really looking to get a new amp yet. If that is necessary for other options then I'll have to wait for a while before I get new headphones.

The Yamaha HPH MT 220 is an excellent headphone. Like all closed headphones it does suffer some loss of sound stage, but other than that it is a bargain. On Amazon.ca AV Gear out of Ontario sells them. You may have to search for MT220BL as they use that description. Now if you don't mind waiting longer, Langton Distribution turns up on Amazon.ca when you search for MT220, but it takes about two weeks from the UK. However; they sell for $20 less than AV Gear ($269 versus $289) and when they shipped to me, without asking they declared the item as a gift which meant no duty or taxes plus the shipping was only $7.50. Maybe it will be more to you in BC?

The Yamaha MT220 is seriously worth considering if closed headphones are in play. It allowed me to sell my TH 600 and know I still had a really good closed headphone with solid bass and good across the board. Check them out.

Aug 6, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #15,582 of 23,497
  The Yamaha HPH MT 220 is an excellent headphone. Like all closed headphones it does suffer some loss of sound stage, but other than that it is a bargain. On Amazon.ca AV Gear out of Ontario sells them. You may have to search for MT220BL as they use that description. Now if you don't mind waiting longer, Langton Distribution turns up on Amazon.ca when you search for MT220, but it takes about two weeks from the UK. However; they sell for $20 less than AV Gear ($269 versus $289) and when they shipped to me, without asking they declared the item as a gift which meant no duty or taxes plus the shipping was only $7.50. Maybe it will be more to you in BC?

The Yamaha MT220 is seriously worth considering if closed headphones are in play. It allowed me to sell my TH 600 and know I still had a really good closed headphone with solid bass and good across the board. Check them out.

If I buy from AVGear will I be able to return them if I don't like them? Does amazon return policy apply or they have a different one. Sorry I am new to this. I always buy Prime shipped products :p

Aug 6, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #15,583 of 23,497
  If I buy from AVGear will I be able to return them if I don't like them? Does amazon return policy apply or they have a different one. Sorry I am new to this. I always buy Prime shipped products :p

They are pretty nice. I did return a headphone no issue, but it had a fault. You can call them and ask first, they always answer the phone 905-792-7617​. Read in the MT220 thread, you will be surprised how well received the headphone is. I'm pretty happy with it as my closed headphone.

Aug 6, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #15,585 of 23,497
OK, so everyone is back to their HD600's and being nice to each other. I took a big music break and listened to my HD600's and HE500's two of my favorite headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back