Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
May 24, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #11,626 of 23,433
  I have come across that. I personally find differences are often exaggerated but I have found I can hear subtle differences when doing blind tests, but it does make me realize I sometimes exaggerate the differences. I personally have a bit of a problem with the HD 600, it's not quite clean enough for my tastes, I find the HD 650 slightly cleaner but still not quite clean enough. After listening to headphones such as the LCD-2/3, HD 800, R10, various electrostats, etc. for extended amounts of time, I realized I will have to go another level headphone wise to sate my clarity and refinement tastes. I'm too picky about the subtle details in audio.

Specwise the HD600 is just around the edge of human THD detection and the HD650 a little lower than the HD600. I also have a pair of HE-500's which I like a lot.

May 24, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #11,628 of 23,433
  I know they are, but I realized for me personally I'll need to save up for a pair otherwise I won't really be satisfied. I think it's time to sell some headphones soon for me. 

HD800's and LCD's can be very different sounding. Audition them carefully. I'm partial to planars for the bass, however, some of the LCD's sound a little bit lower in their level of treble than I prefer. I found the HD800's to be easier to drive than many make them out to be. You might want to try the HE-560's. Smash that piggy bank wide open.

May 24, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #11,629 of 23,433
  HD800's and LCD's can be very different sounding. Audition them carefully. I'm partial to planars for the bass, however, some of the LCD's sound a little bit lower in their level of treble than I prefer. I found the HD800's to be easier to drive than many make them out to be. You might want to try the HE-560's. Smash that piggy bank wide open.

I'm not planning on getting the HD 800, treble is a tad too present for my liking. The LCD-2 was more to my liking and it's cheaper. Currently my cleanest sounding headphone is the DT 150 by a small margin over the HD 650. It also has low thd specs like the Senns but is a little more neutral than either, which was confirmed by measurements. But I don't want to wear a sealed closed-back all the time. I'm keeping my options open, I don't plan on going a step up headphone wise till later this year. Going to audition the headphones I'm eyeing a bit over the summer.

May 24, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #11,630 of 23,433
Seriously, can anyone name a headphone that truly dethrones the HD6** series headphone as a true all rounder ? I own a HD800 and I think for general listening the Hd6** wins. It's just smoother and less intense for most music. My end game is the perfect headphone for all genres and it's currently the HD650(for my taste) Hd600 is close second (although it changes back and forth ). If Sennheiser could release a Hd800/hd600/hd650 hybrid I think i could die happy !

May 24, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #11,631 of 23,433
Seriously, can anyone name a headphone that truly dethrones the HD6** series headphone as a true all rounder ? I own a HD800 and I think for general listening the Hd6** wins. It's just smoother and less intense for most music. My end game is the perfect headphone for all genres and it's currently the HD650(for my taste) Hd600 is close second (although it changes back and forth ). If Sennheiser could release a Hd800/hd600/hd650 hybrid I think i could die happy !

Agreed!
beerchug.gif

If we could get an Orpheus 2 with a similar tonal balance and better technical abilities I would quit Head-Fi for good
basshead.gif

May 24, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #11,632 of 23,433
Agreed! :beerchug:

If we could get an Orpheus 2 with a similar tonal balance and better technical abilities I would quit Head-Fi for good :basshead:

Agreed! Now imagine a dynamic Orpheus 2 for a reasonable price so could be plugged into a normal amp. Kinda like Sennheser just making a statement like ' you having that?!' To other manufacturers . End of chat , everyone goes home and just enjoys the music :)

May 24, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #11,634 of 23,433
Agreed! Now imagine a dynamic Orpheus 2 for a reasonable price so could be plugged into a normal amp. Kinda like Sennheser just making a statement like ' you having that?!' To other manufacturers . End of chat , everyone goes home and just enjoys the music
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, if possible. It seems to me that there's a certain limit to what traditional dynamic drivers can do in terms of technical ability. I know the original Orpheus was aimed at a more neutral (if slightly warm) sound, similar to the HD600. If Sennheiser ever does bring back their e-stats, I could easily see that being exactly what us HD600 owners love.
  Eventually there's another headphone to want. 
regular_smile%20.gif

Not for me at this point. I'm in a similar place as James: HD800 & HD600 although I do believe our systems might be different...
evil_smiley.gif

May 25, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #11,635 of 23,433

Yes, if possible. It seems to me that there's a certain limit to what traditional dynamic drivers can do in terms of technical ability. I know the original Orpheus was aimed at a more neutral (if slightly warm) sound, similar to the HD600. If Sennheiser ever does bring back their e-stats, I could easily see that being exactly what us HD600 owners love.

Not for me at this point. I'm in a similar place as James: HD800 & HD600 although I do believe our systems might be different...
evil_smiley.gif

And exactly whose wallets will be severely on fire
tongue.gif

May 25, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #11,636 of 23,433
Silly me.  When I went for that $229 HD600 deal, I should have known that I wasn't just gonna spend $229.  Ever since I built my Gamma 1 DAC and M^3 amp 6 years ago, I've been satisfied.  They sound fantastic with my HD600.  But in this thread I learned about the O2 amp & DAC which have been the source of much praise and drama for the past several years.

I couldn't resist.  I ordered all the parts yesterday.

May 25, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #11,637 of 23,433
Silly me.  When I went for that $229 HD600 deal, I should have known that I wasn't just gonna spend $229.  Ever since I built my Gamma 1 DAC and M^3 amp 6 years ago, I've been satisfied.  They sound fantastic with my HD600.  But in this thread I learned about the O2 amp & DAC which have been the source of much praise and drama for the past several years.

Nice that you are building it yourself. It's pretty cheap built so you are not exactly down the road to ruin! :)
I'll be very interested to read your impressions/addition to the drama.

May 25, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #11,639 of 23,433
Has anyone paired both O2 and vali with hd600? Any impressions?

Getting my HD 600 soon! :)

I have the ODAC/O2 combo ready and have been using them with Beyerdynamic products with no isses (including the 600 ohm ones!) :) Can't wait to see what all this 'neutrality' or 'transparency' is, since it should be a 'transparent' chain from ODAC->O2->HD 600. I tried the dt 880/250 with them, but it was flat..flat response to my ears (relative to dt 770, dt 990, T1, philips fidelios, akg 550, etc).

Everything was heard in a flat field in front of me, all details are shown, but with little boost, so, it kept me from 'feeling' the music. Not to say it was bad experience, just not as engaging as I prefer music to be. It does fine when you wanna do some work and kick back the music. But when you wanna head bang, sing to your heart's content, I think the o2/odac + dt 880 doesn't do it. I'd guess that the hd 600 wouldn't too but I'd have to let you know when I get them.

May 25, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #11,640 of 23,433

Have you ever built any electronics like this before? It's a good thing to learn if you havent. There's a lot of DIY audio projects.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back