Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
May 26, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #11,656 of 23,482
  I like its sound signature, being very balanced, never overbearing at either extremes, very clean sounding,. bass amount is just nice. I found out that this model was bought from retailer in June 2014. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it lacking the said 'veil'. 
Will feedback more after more auditioning.

I don't think it has anything to do with being a newer model, but rather just that I never felt like the HD600 had a "veil." The HD650 maybe, sure I feel that has some amount of darkness that doesn't manifest in the HD600, but the HD600 has always sounded fantastic to me.

May 26, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #11,657 of 23,482

I don't think it has anything to do with being a newer model, but rather just that I never felt like the HD600 had a "veil." The HD650 maybe, sure I feel that has some amount of darkness that doesn't manifest in the HD600, but the HD600 has always sounded fantastic to me.

I think the veil thing started when the HD600 first came out and headphones of the time leaned on treble more than being neutral. So comparitively some people came up with the veil moniker since they may not been used to neutral. I can just imagine what they would have said about Beats.

May 26, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #11,658 of 23,482
  I think the veil thing started when the HD600 first came out and headphones of the time leaned on treble more than being neutral. So comparitively some people came up with the veil moniker since they may not been used to neutral. I can just imagine what they would have said about Beats.

I don't think that "they" would say anything about Beats at all.....

May 26, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #11,660 of 23,482
Am I the only one who is slightly bothered by the HD 600 peak at the upper mids? I used to find forward treble fatiguing and never thought mids, as low as 4K, would cause fatigue too. HD600 has been giving me some fatigue recently and I've identified the cause by using e.q. to tame the upper mids. Sure enough, it was that peak that was ruining it for me. I wonder if I was wrong to choose HD600. Maybe HD650 would have been better.

May 26, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #11,661 of 23,482
  Am I the only one who is slightly bothered by the HD 600 peak at the upper mids? I used to find forward treble fatiguing and never thought mids, as low as 4K, would cause fatigue too. HD600 has been giving me some fatigue recently and I've identified the cause by using e.q. to tame the upper mids. Sure enough, it was that peak that was ruining it for me. I wonder if I was wrong to choose HD600. Maybe HD650 would have been better.

Yup, this is exactly why I personally always preferred the 650 to the 600 (owned the former 3 times, and the latter twice), I could never get used to that slight 4~5k boost in comparson in the 600. If you find that area bothersome and feel that you can live with a bit more of a midbass boost in the HD650's, then I can definitely recommend the 650 as a perfect substitute.

May 26, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #11,662 of 23,482

Pick your relative peak in the treble, both have them at different frequencies. You'll notice that the HD650 runs out of gas in the upper treble.

May 26, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #11,663 of 23,482

I call Beats bad value. The nicer ones are maybe around $60 in worth on an average sound quality scale. Obviously there are still better sounding sets at and below that price point, but they're the heavy value-hitters, like the Takstar HI2050 I wrote a review on. The HD650 sounds muffled in some way to me but I think that just has to do with the sound sig it carries.

May 26, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #11,664 of 23,482
Man finding an upgrade to the HD600s is difficult honestly prefer their sonic signature over anything else in their price range, but i think upgrading to planars later down the line has reached the point of diminishing returns. I don't think i can ever part ways with them even if i do buy something more expensive ill always go back to them. That's how good I feel they are.

May 27, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #11,667 of 23,482

Yup, this is exactly why I personally always preferred the 650 to the 600 (owned the former 3 times, and the latter twice), I could never get used to that slight 4~5k boost in comparson in the 600. If you find that area bothersome and feel that you can live with a bit more of a midbass boost in the HD650's, then I can definitely recommend the 650 as a perfect substitute.

The bass on the 600 is perfect the way it is, it's just that upper mid peak that needs to be shaved off. EQ takes care of it well without much distortion, since it's only a couple of db.

It looks like you eventually chose MA900 over your HD650. Why so?

May 27, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #11,668 of 23,482
  The bass on the 600 is perfect the way it is, it's just that upper mid peak that needs to be shaved off. EQ takes care of it well without much distortion, since it's only a couple of db.

I actually quite like the upper mids slight coloration. If you are seeking for a little more neutral and modern hp, look at the new ATH-R70X. Very very interesting.

May 27, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #11,669 of 23,482

That upper mid peak was the reason I sold mine.
I was very sensitive to it. It stood out like a sore thumb to me.
If it hadn't been for that one little flaw, I would have kept mine without hesitation.
BTW, I also sold my Hifiman HE-560 due to a peak in the same area too. Lol.

May 27, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #11,670 of 23,482
I compared the HE560 and the HD600 not too long ago and I found the Hifiman's lower treble to be much more bothersome relatively

The original HD6xx's had that veil. My friend has one of those and it has that sound. Senn made a silent revision somewhere down the line and neither headphone is no longer what I would consider veiled. For those looking for treble irregularities or rolled-off bass to increase "detail" it might sound veiled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back