Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jul 7, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #7,969 of 23,433
do i really need a dac? or should i just spend the whole $400 on an amp? i dont really get what the dac does. i know it converts the whole binary thing but isn't the computer already does that for me?

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #7,971 of 23,433
  You're asking me which dac/amp combo? For $400 - you are looking at portable dac/amp only I think

Don't be ridiculous.
A lot of popular "sedentary" DAC/amps usually recommended here can be had for $400 or less : ODAC/O2, the cheaper Schit stuff, the Yulong, Audio-GD and Matrix series, the list goes on and on.
You only need to skim this very thread to get pages of recommendations.

Jul 7, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #7,972 of 23,433
do i really need dac? or should i just spent the whole $400 on amp? i dont really get what the dac does. i know it convert the whole binary thing but isn't the computer already does that for me?

The real problem isn't the DAC chip but the analog output stage after it. A dedicated DAC (or one device with both HPamp and DAC in it) would have a better output stage on it designed for delivering a cleaner signal to the amp. In some cases the reason for getting one can be because the PC's soundcard gets a lot of noise from inside the computer chassis, which is usually inaudible with for example PC speakers but then becomes audible when you start using more sensitive (and transparent) amplifiers.

You're asking me which dac/amp combo? For $400 - you are looking at portable dac/amp only I think

Schiit Modi $99 + Asgard2 $249 + shipping

Jul 7, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #7,978 of 23,433
I have $400 to improve the HD600. What should i buy? DAC/AMP or DAP? Sorry if it's a repost.

Schiit Magni or Vali (depending on your preference), plus Fiio X3 (Portable player and usb DAC) works fine for me. And it fits your budget as well...
(X3 is not enough to drive HD600 at full potential on its own, but with an amp it is miraculous.)

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #7,979 of 23,433

The real problem isn't the DAC chip but the analog output stage after it. A dedicated DAC (or one device with both HPamp and DAC in it) would have a better output stage on it designed for delivering a cleaner signal to the amp. In some cases the reason for getting one can be because the PC's soundcard gets a lot of noise from inside the computer chassis, which is usually inaudible with for example PC speakers but then becomes audible when you start using more sensitive (and transparent) amplifiers.

Schiit Modi $99 + Asgard2 $249 + shipping

I second that. After days of research and frustration, that was the setup I shortlisted before realising there's no real way to plug a CD player into it :)

thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back