Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jul 10, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #7,996 of 23,482
That's good news.  Free fixes are the best!

Jul 10, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #7,997 of 23,482
  It's actually not the cable itself, I found. When I moved the two-pin plug where it goes into the earcup, the sound in the left channel crackled and cut in and out. So I unplugged it and plugged it back in - now it's back to normal! Weird.

That's probably a sign that there's wear on the solder of the contacts to the driver. Do you pull the cable out often?

Jul 11, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #8,000 of 23,482
I listen to the HD600 through an Arcam irDAC, Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear Diamond Edition and Cardas cable. Every day it puts a grin on my face or goosebumps on my arms. Truly exceptional headphone.

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #8,002 of 23,482
  OR...

It wasn't plugged in correctly in the first place....

Hence my asking if he pulls the cable out often.
regular_smile .gif

Jul 13, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #8,003 of 23,482
I had a listen to The Beatles - Abbey Road album for the first time on the marantz cd player and HD600... then I moved to something 'new' in Daft Punk - RAM... jolly goodness me. What an experience. HD600 you are absolutely my king.

I mentioned I didn't really recall a difference between the stock HD600 cable and the replacement HD650 I had to replace it with, but I'm really curious now if it actually improves the sound. I still have the HD600 cable (which has one side working) would it make a valid test to plug one side with HD650 cable and the other with HD600 with output from the same device?

Jul 13, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #8,006 of 23,482
It's a killer. The only cure is when you realise that the 600's are so nice that you don't need to worry about the minuscule difference things like cables may or may not make. IMHO of course.

Jul 14, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #8,008 of 23,482

I feel like I stirred some angst regarding cables a few posts back so let me state a few things for the record:

1. I sometimes flame posts regarding cables.

2. Don't take it personally.

3. I seriously urge you to listen to an hd600(or any other headphone) with original cable and any re-cabled version to see if you really hear a difference BEFORE you re-cable.Especially if your not a tweaking kind of guy and simply think it will sound better because someone said so.

4. There's nothing wrong with being a "tweaking kind of guy".

5.. I myself have a very nice custom custom cable for my hd600.It's a Mogami W2534 cable with cardas connectors and a gold Neutrik jack. It looks real nice, it's clearly more durable and it doesn't tangle as easy as the original.It's also a more suitable length for my setup.I (no matter what I try to convince myself) can't hear any difference between it and the original.

6. Enjoy your headphones.

Jul 14, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #8,009 of 23,482
  That's probably a sign that there's wear on the solder of the contacts to the driver. Do you pull the cable out often?

I've only pulled out the cable 2-3 times since I've had them. I got them used so I'm not sure about the previous owner.

OR...

It wasn't plugged in correctly in the first place....

It worked perfectly for almost a year plugged in the same way...

Jul 14, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #8,010 of 23,482

3. I seriously urge you to listen to an hd600(or any other headphone) with original cable and any re-cabled version to see if you really hear a difference BEFORE you re-cable.Especially if your not a tweaking kind of guy and simply think it will sound better because someone said so.

6. Enjoy your headphones.

Really liking this two points :)
Especially for someone like me who only hear about 20-30% improvement sound improvement after upgrading from Goldring DR150 to Sennheiser HD600 (2-3x price). Oh, and bout 20% improvement from FiiO E10 to Aune T1 (2x price). Bad hearing I guess.

Glad (or sad?) that I'm not those who can hear those 2-5% differences....

My Sennheiser HD600 is one year old now. And never wanting to upgrade. HD600 just hit all the right spot to me.
This is my final journey (of headphone) I guess. Now, saving money for amplifier before ending this journey for good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back