Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 8, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #6,961 of 23,499
The 600 and 650 headphone are amazing, especially balanced, I own higher end headphones but I still love to listen to both and likely will always keep both

Mar 8, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #6,963 of 23,499
Being a lot older and having encountered endless frustration and disappointment with audio items not delivering on their claims I am maybe too protective of a product that does deliver.

Reading this thread and came upon this quote made by krismusic 3 days ago & man, can I ever identify with that quote.  Around 2003 I bought my first pair of HD600 and kept them for approximately 8 years.  Then I bought the HD650 & sold the HD600, then I did the same with the HD650 for the HD800 which I thought at the time was the best HP in the world.  I was also reading many reviews & was a frequent visitor on Head-fi (not yet a member).  Then there was the pursuit of the perfect amp & CD Player for the HD800 (within my monetary means) : Cambridge 851A (100wpc) & 851C = sibilance; Schiit Lyr = sibilance; Kenwood KA8006 integrated amp "vintage 1974,70 wpc" (given to me by my brother : thanks Mike 
wink.gif
) = sibilance = fatigue = au revoir HD800.  Then tried the LCD2 rev2, w/Burson HA160D, then the RS1i, Schiit Valhalla, Asgard, Lyr (again with tube rolling), AKG K702 65annies, Burson Soloist, HD700, AKG K712, Tesla t1, DT990 Pro, K702 (the best of the bunch) & on & on … ad infinitum.  During this expensive period on a quest/obsession search for the perfect sound I remembered my old HD600 and how I seemed to have enjoyed them so I bought another pair & vividly remember when I put them on for the first time :a smile came upon my face & my ears/mind went "Aaaaah, yes ……"  So gradually I sold at a substantial loss, most of the HPs & HP amps. Then I bought the HD650 again = same result as when I bought the HD600 the year before.  So now I have the HD650 & just ordered new ear pads for them.  I just bought a new pair of HD600 (the 2011 pair were fine but by selling them & not passing on a great deal I ended up paying $50 for a brand new pair = worth it).  

So this long winded story is just to share why I identify with ​krismusic's quote.  I now have the two HD6xx, the K702, a Trafomatic Experience Head One HPamp, my now three years old TEAC PD-HA600 "old faithful" CD player (oh & my old Kenwood also) & that Ladies & Gentlemen is the end of my quest.  I also fully agree with many other quotes/posts which point out that in the end it's mostly about what your ears/mind preference is.  I don't covet or have any urge to try other HPs or HP amps.  The HD600 is my favourite (Canadian spelling) HP while the 650 is a nice change periodically.  As for the K702 it fulfills the rare need for a totally different sound but it never lasts long & it depends on the genre of music I'm listening to.  The HD600, IMHO, to my ears, to my personal taste, is the best overall HP ever made (never saw or heard the Orpheus) & it makes me laugh (better than crying) when I think that I've come full (expensive) circle.  It was a good learning experience, journey because I now realize what I'm happy with.  
size]

Mar 8, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #6,964 of 23,499
    As for the K702 it fulfills the rare need for a totally different sound but it never lasts long & it depends on what music I'm listening to.  The HD600, in my opinion, to my ears, for my taste, is the best overall HP ever made

As a person new to the whole high-end audio scene and was in a tossup between Q701's and HD600, I am glad my purchase of the HD600's was a good decision! Hopefully this doesn't turn into the slippery slope you mention because I don't think my wallet could bare it.

Im loving everything about the HD600's so far though 
o2smile.gif

Still saving up for a decent amp to make these things really shine!

Mar 8, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #6,965 of 23,499
  As a person new to the whole high-end audio scene and was in a tossup between Q701's and HD600, I am glad my purchase of the HD600's was a good decision! Hopefully this doesn't turn into the slippery slope you mention because I don't think my wallet could bare it.

o2smile.gif

The easiest way to avoid the slippery slope is to listen to MORE music on your HD600 and
read LESS information on forums like Headfi IMO.

Mar 8, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #6,966 of 23,499

The easiest way to avoid the slippery slope is to listen to MORE music on your HD600 and

Tell me about it. My friend is constantly buying and selling here on Head-fi and always lets me audition his new stuff. His collection is probably at $1500 right now. Trying out his HD650's told me I should jump on the HD600's that a local studio was getting rid of.

The good thing about coming here is that the marketplace is fantastic, so the blow to my wallet is not as severe.

Mar 8, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #6,967 of 23,499

o2smile.gif

+1 w/perhapss 
wink_face.gif

Mar 8, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #6,971 of 23,499

I found my endgame rig for both of my beloved headphone hd600 & hd800 (finally)
  I did purchased  a crack with speedball & mundolf caps plus several tubes (decent to good tubes)
  Why? i worried that i got bored with my current rig although i never never experience that.
 I guess i worried too much.
 Plus i head the crack got so much accolades worldwide which urged me to experience it  

Pairing crack & hd600 is really good. what amazed me is that how easy complement each other to sing ..
 You dont have to be a doctor or a rocket scientist to figure that out .
 I just experiment tweaking them for about 3 days and they  just shine&  hardly give me like a bad sound
 I am beginning to understand the description on music & how people were moved by  HD600 as i was moved differently.

Although crack/speedball/ mundolf caps + hd600  is still a downgrade for me ( no offence) , but i can still accept them .
It feels like  when i still need to keep & listen to  Hd600 although i have HD800

I am not in audio nirvana when pairing crack & Hd600 .
it is too much to ask IMO with the current mods

Mar 9, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #6,975 of 23,499
   (never saw or heard the Orpheus)

Hi Old Groucho, from your handle we may have a couple of things in common!
FWIW I heard The Orpheus at a meet. I was able to have a few listens during the day and the rest of the Sennheiser lineup.
If I could have taken a rig home with me it would have been the HD 800 with the 800HDVA amp DAC.
I expected The Orpheus to sound like angels farting into my ears but I guess technology has moved on.
The 600's came close to the 800's IMO and at the price are an absolute bargain.
I feel fortunate that such quality is available at a price that would not even get a sharp word from my wife!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back