Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Dec 6, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #5,311 of 23,433
  This is probably the wrong place to post that but because you are already discussing around this, I'm also chasing a closed headphones as I won't be able to listen to my HD600/HD700 anymore for the coming months.
I already have a Mad Dogs 3.1, I like it but I'm looking for something clearer, less "closed" because at the end even if they are very good, I find them a bit claustrophobic.
I was thinking about Kef M500 or HP100 or maybe Signature pro if I can find a good 2n hand price.
I might consider TH600 as well but I have no comparison between m500/HP100 or Sig Pro/TH600... if by chance somebody woud have an opinion... thanks

Oops. I guess this is the wrong place but I really do enjoy the sound signature of the HD600.  Now only if Senn make one with a closed port that sounds exactly like the HD600.

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #5,312 of 23,433
What music?
I just got a TH600 and it does sound superb with EDM . They'll be replacing my Mad dogs as my closed can I take around and listen to in the office. The Mad Dogs are more comfortable with the Alpha pads and the isolate better but the TH600 has it all over the mad dogs for SQ is most areas. The TH600 doesn't isolate nearly as well and skund leaks a little bit.

What music?  Mostly, classic Jazz, Vocals, Country, some Pop, and R&B.

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #5,314 of 23,433
  Oops. I guess this is the wrong place but I really do enjoy the sound signature of the HD600.  Now only if Senn make one with a closed port that sounds exactly like the HD600.

Yup. I think about this too. I wonder what closed headphone that better or on-par with HD600. Well, I know it's two different design etc but I wish it's easy to get the closed design replacement of HD600 or HD650.

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #5,315 of 23,433

Yup. I think about this too. I wonder what closed headphone that better or on-par with HD600. Well, I know it's two different design etc but I wish it's easy to get the closed design replacement of HD600 or HD650

The momentum has some similarity and to me that seems to be the best so far.  It however does not scale well with my DAC/Amp.  They need to make a momentum that is 300 ohms!

Dec 6, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #5,318 of 23,433
Hi Guys,

I absolutely love my HD600. However, one thing I find myself wanting at times is an ever so slight boost in the lower bass frequencies when listening to my punk/metal music. I find that it just doesn't extend far enough into the bottom as I would like it to.

What would you guys recommend I do to try and get a little more of the lower frequencies out? I don't need a lot. I had purchased the fiio E12 amp after reading reviews dated back in February about the bass boost staying in the sub bass frequencies. However, it turns out the model I have ordered has it's sound affected all the way up to 1KHz almost (which is what I do not want).

I don't listen to music out of my computer. I have several iPod's which I run via Line out to a Fiio E11 when I'm walking around the house, or to my Pimeta amp  when remaining seated/stationary.(http://tangentsoft.net/audio/pimeta/)(http://www.head-fi.org/t/693021/unbranded-amp-please-tell-me-what-i-have-inside-pics-included). The EQ on the ipods sounds just terrible. The boost switch on the E11 muddies up my sound. I want everything above the 80-100 area to stay the same.

What else can I do? What do you guys do?

Many thanks!

Dec 6, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #5,319 of 23,433
  Hi Guys,

I absolutely love my HD600. However, one thing I find myself wanting at times is an ever so slight boost in the lower bass frequencies. I find that it just doesn't extend far enough into the bottom as I would like it to.

What would you guys recommend I do to try and get a little more of the lower frequencies out? I don't need a lot. I had purchased the fiio E12 amp after reading reviews dated back in February about the bass boost staying in the sub bass frequencies. However, it turns out the model I have ordered has it's sound affected all the way up to 1KHz almost (which is what I do not want).

Many thanks!

Maybe try a JDS Labs C5. It has a bass boost but is a really neutral amp. 

Dec 6, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #5,320 of 23,433
  Yep the appearance of the HD600s is a polarizing topic. :) I actually think they look really great and even better than the HD650.

You misunderstood.  I wasn't referring to the look of the HD600's, I was referring to the colored covering used by a member to cover the headband!  I think HD600's outta the box are elegant-looking cans.  You oughtta see my 10+ yr old pair, the blue stickers on the side have faded as has much of the lettering along the top of the headband, not to mention the cushions on the inside of the headband have flattened!  I have recently changed the ear cushions out for new ones though.  I like this look, kinda like a pair of well-used favorite funky jeans!:wink:  But most importantly, they're still comfy and still SOUND amazing!

Dec 6, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #5,321 of 23,433
  I was considering the HD700 for home.  How are they compare to the 600?

I've listened to all three and spent 45 minutes carefully comparing the HD600 and HD650 and purchased the HD600 even though going in I was expecting to get the HD650.
I found the the HD600 had an wonderful neutrality and the treble response was spot on. The HD650 had a bass that was pushed up a tad more than the HD600 ans a treble that was more recessed, which in combination tarnished the sound a bit for my tastes. I liked the build of the HD700, however, the treble was elevated a bit too much for my tastes, I was hoping that either the HD650 or HD700 would sound even better to me than the HD600. Although the HD600's have been around for a very long time, IMO they sound great and not easily surpassed, unless you really lose all control of your wallet.
I'm trying my best not to listen to the HD800 and directly compare it the HD600, else I will get in trouble with the boss when she recognizes yet another set of cans in the house.

Dec 6, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #5,322 of 23,433
The sound of the TH600 is very open. The TH600 sound is on another level to the MDs. THE TH600 actually sounds more open than the HD600s IMO. Although the TH600 is supposedly a closed can it leaks sound a bit and does not isolate anywhere near the MDs

Dec 6, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #5,324 of 23,433
I'm not sure how much has been said on the HD600 with the Woo WA3, but I recently acquired a WA3 from the FS section and have been enjoying this combo immensely! Since I got the HD600 I have been impressed with how naturally they are able to reproduce certain instruments, and they have been excellent as a reference phone for mixing, but I have found them a bit on the flat side for casual listening, and would frequently turn to my K340 for a fun time (I'm a mids junkie, what can I say). With the addition of the WA3 however, they have reached another level in terms of realism (I can't shake the impression that certain songs are performed right there before me), have an even greater and more immersive soundstage, and a warmer and more present midrange. In short, the WA3 has essentially filled everything that I felt was missing in order for the HD600 to be a truly "fun" pair of headphones, and I've never enjoyed a pair of headphones more! This is also my first tube amp, so I look forward to exploring the new world of tube rolling. And when I need a reference phone I can always switch right back to SS. Truly a remarkable and versatile pair of headphones!

Dec 6, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #5,325 of 23,433
  I've listened to all three and spent 45 minutes carefully comparing the HD600 and HD650 and purchased the HD600 even though going in I was expecting to get the HD650.
I found the the HD600 had an wonderful neutrality and the treble response was spot on. The HD650 had a bass that was pushed up a tad more than the HD600 ans a treble that was more recessed, which in combination tarnished the sound a bit for my tastes. I liked the build of the HD700, however, the treble was elevated a bit too much for my tastes, I was hoping that either the HD650 or HD700 would sound even better to me than the HD600. Although the HD600's have been around for a very long time, IMO they sound great and not easily surpassed, unless you really lose all control of your wallet.
I'm trying my best not to listen to the HD800 and directly compare it the HD600, else I will get in trouble with the boss when she recognizes yet another set of cans in the house.

I'd agree with that, the 600's are more of an audiophile hp than the more 'fun' 650. 

Must say as well... It is infact pointless trying to fight the urge not to buy the HD800's. The seed is already there my friend. And it will stay there, growing in the back of your mind until it strangles your reasoning. Then one day with an empty look in your eyes and empty house (Wife not in) you will order them. Then for the next few days you will feel a mixture of guilt and high expectation as well as an almost sexual excitement as you keep checking the tracking information. When they do finally arrive, your hands will 'shake like a sh****g dog' as you unbox and then hold them in your mortal hands... They don't sound too bad either. 

But you will probably keep your HD600's as well. Like I did. Because they do some thing's... 'Differently'. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back