Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
May 24, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #14,746 of 23,456
  you see people around your area with HD600s? At least people around you know about audio quality for price. All I keep seeing around my area are Beats and Apple earpods. Sad to think most people don't know how to make their music sound good.

Well yeah I will admit that seeing anyone wearing an HD600 on the streets is a rare event, most certainly in the minority. Most (like you said) around these parts are wearing Beats and Apple earbuds, but not all, many are using the Audio Technica ATH-M50, and many have alternate brands that simply look cool (including a lot of the ladies in the 20-30 age group) from a myriad of manufacturers, but I think well maybe at least they're making an effort to step things up a bit, kudos to them for that, I see a few Grados too from time-to-time. Funnily enough I often see a lot of males wearing the "Bose" headphones, this brand seems to be quite popular among males, mainly Yuppie types needing to uphold their image Lol.

May 24, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #14,747 of 23,456

Well yeah I will admit that seeing anyone wearing an HD600 on the streets is a rare event, most certainly in the minority. 

I can't imagine how that works when even the A/C in my room needs to be overwhelmed by very high output levels thanks to the open back design. At best there are foam pieces behind the driver, but they're mostly just for keeping foreign materials off the diaphragm. Sadly there aren't any spots to mount the compressor in a split A/C just to take the main source of noise out of the room.

May 24, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #14,748 of 23,456

Huh? You say FiiO MAY offer the X7 with different amps some where down the rd... which to me means the opposite of what you concluded. The fact that FiiO isn't offering our choice of module at the beginning when buying an X7 means that FiiO IS "forcing the situtaion" at this point.

We have NO CHOICE BUT TO GET THE FIIO X7 WITH THE AM1 MODULE whether we want the AM1 or not, which means to me that FiiO IS FORCING THE SITUATION. Me and you have concluded differently, let's just leave it at that.

Or you could just wait until they have the additional options available.    Why not wait til the modules are offered

No one is forcing you to do anything...

May 24, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #14,749 of 23,456

Huh? You say FiiO may offer the X7 with different amps some where down the rd... which to me means the opposite of what you concluded. The fact that FiiO isn't offering our choice of module at the beginning when buying an X7 means that FiiO IS "forcing the situtaion" at this point.

We have NO CHOICE BUT TO GET THE FIIO X7 WITH THE AM1 MODULE whether we want the AM1 or not, which means to me that FiiO IS FORCING THE SITUATION. Me and you have concluded differently, let's just leave it at that.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/809223/fiio-releases-the-x7-standard-edition-without-amp-module

May 24, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #14,750 of 23,456
Thanks for the link. Maybe now UtopiaB can stop ranting about Fiio's manufacturing and marketing decisions on the HD600 impression thread. And rant there instead...

May 24, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #14,751 of 23,456

Well yeah I will admit that seeing anyone wearing an HD600 on the streets is a rare event, most certainly in the minority. Most (like you said) around these parts are wearing Beats and Apple earbuds, but not all, many are using the Audio Technica ATH-M50, and many have alternate brands that simply look cool (including a lot of the ladies in the 20-30 age group) from a myriad of manufacturers, but I think well maybe at least they're making an effort to step things up a bit, kudos to them for that, I see a few Grados too from time-to-time. Funnily enough I often see a lot of males wearing the "Bose" headphones, this brand seems to be quite popular among males, mainly Yuppie types needing to uphold their image Lol.

Yeah, I see people around here with the Audio Technicas too: M50s, M40s, sometimes M30s. There are some people that have uniquely good choices like Momentums and actually also saw an Ultrasone at one point too. Haven't seen anyone with an openback though. But I'm on a university campus, people just don't consider something like the HD600 stylish, no matter how much it puts their Beats Solo HD to shame in sound quality. I personally find that the Momentum series looks better than anything from Beats or Audio Technica's portable headphone lineup.

May 24, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #14,752 of 23,456
  Yeah, I see people around here with the Audio Technicas too: M50s, M40s, sometimes M30s. There are some people that have uniquely good choices like Momentums and actually also saw an Ultrasone at one point too. Haven't seen anyone with an openback though. But I'm on a university campus, people just don't consider something like the HD600 stylish, no matter how much it puts their Beats Solo HD to shame in sound quality. I personally find that the Momentum series looks better than anything from Beats or Audio Technica's portable headphone lineup.

I've never seen a HD-600 being used by anyone walking around but my GF uses her HD-700 when walking our dog and got another girl who asked about them and went out and got a HD-700 also, my son uses Momentum on-ear, his GF uses V-Moda XS, and since I've given them Momentum on-ears, Jae and Momi use theirs when at the gym when working out, Mina and Racheal use theirs when traveling or working out, and Steve uses his on the bus.  I'm trying to get most of my friends and family to get better gear than Beats, cheap Sony's, and ear buds that come with their phones.

One thing I did notice was that most beginners like a sound signature with more bass than what the HD-600 has, many have liked the HD-650 but shy away once they try it on their phone after hearing what they sound like from my BH Crack and usually like the Momentum or X1 better when driven by a phone.  I've also built 2 SennGrado's and one SR-80i woody for friends who really love them.

May 24, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #14,753 of 23,456
  I've never seen a HD-600 being used by anyone walking around but my GF uses her HD-700 when walking our dog and got another girl who asked about them and went out and got a HD-700 also, my son uses Momentum on-ear, his GF uses V-Moda XS, and since I've given them Momentum on-ears, Jae and Momi use theirs when at the gym when working out, Mina and Racheal use theirs when traveling or working out, and Steve uses his on the bus.  I'm trying to get most of my friends and family to get better gear than Beats, cheap Sony's, and ear buds that come with their phones.

One thing I did notice was that most beginners like a sound signature with more bass than what the HD-600 has, many have liked the HD-650 but shy away once they try it on their phone after hearing what they sound like from my BH Crack and usually like the Momentum or X1 better when driven by a phone.  I've also built 2 SennGrado's and one SR-80i woody for friends who really love them.

Not surprising about the bass part. A lot of the lower-grade consumer-focused offerings seem to have an emphasis on bass. I don't mind more bass, I quite like my bass cuz I listen to a lot of EDM, but lower-end stuff tends to be tuned in a way where the bass just muffles everything.

The styling of the HD700 and HD800 are definitely eye-catchers, that girl did the right thing asking your GF about it haha. The Momentum lineup is very good as their portable line. And they look classy as hell, not like how Beats just has a bunch of glossy plastic.

Cheap stuff is tempting just because it's cheap, but I can't go back to those mainstream cheap offerings anymore, they just seem to be missing so much. It's not that you'd have to spend a fortune to get good IEMs either, just a tad more than your run-of-the-mill $15 earphones. Modern smartphones do a great job of powering IEMs and portable-oriented headphones and there are plenty of great-sounding earphones for under $50 these days, so getting good audio quality isn't really that costly.

May 24, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #14,754 of 23,456
I saw someone at The grocery store with HD600's. I respect that, but I wouldn't do it. I've seen some nice headphones here and there. I imagine some of the m50x's you see or even Bose are being worn by people with better stuff at home, or not. I don't think hd600's are a good move outdoors or in public.

May 24, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #14,755 of 23,456
I saw someone at The grocery store with HD600's. I respect that, but I wouldn't do it. I've seen some nice headphones here and there. I imagine some of the m50x's you see or even Bose are being worn by people with better stuff at home, or not. I don't think hd600's are a good move outdoors or in public.

Did you see they were using to drive the HD-600?  Not that I would use one outdoors either but just curious as there are some asking for a portable solution.

May 24, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #14,756 of 23,456

People walk around with fully open headphones in public? That's incredibly rude.

May 24, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #14,757 of 23,456

People walk around with fully open headphones in public? That's incredibly rude.

Not really as I found people don't listen to them loudly enough to bother others. I wore the HD 600's out in public before and I never listened to them loud enough to bother others. And the other people seen wear them I can't even hear them unless I'm right by them and it's quite quiet then. If anything I found open backs makes one more considerate of their surroundings. I prefer wearing open backs on the go because I listen to them quieter and I can hear what's going on around me. It's the people that blare the closed backs and earbuds at insane volumes found to be the most rude as it's loud and you can hear them approach and they can't even hear you.

May 24, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #14,758 of 23,456

I think, to be fair, the people posting on here about using open back headphones outside are well aware of the potential to annoy other people and use them in situations that don't affect others.

May 24, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #14,759 of 23,456
Fair enough, those who blare open back headphones are likely the ones who also walk around with closed headphones and don't pay attention to their surroundings.

May 24, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #14,760 of 23,456
  Fair enough, those who blare open back headphones are likely the ones who also walk around with closed headphones and don't pay attention to their surroundings.

True, but I have yet to come across that thankfully. But if one does blare it, it's quite rude, it's really the apple earbud/cheap earbud/iem wearers that are the worst offenders. Just recently graduated college, so been around a lot of people with headphones on at a regular basis. Can't imagine what damage that does to their hearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back