Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
May 23, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #14,716 of 23,472
  As for the X7 and having the different modules, how do you know that somewhere down the line that they may offer the X7 with the different modules?  

and I don't know of many who would use the HD-600 or any other high impedance headphone as a portable device 

Well I sort of see what you're saying, but the fact remains that there are a number of popular closed back headphones that are high impedance too, so people will need the X7 to drive those while out&about. Furthermore, seeing that FiiO has plugin amps for the X7 means they recognize there will be a multitude of different uses, so I don't see why they should force the situation and not give us our choice of amp at the outset.

Some guys in here question why I would want a portable source for the HD600 as if the law imposes the death sentence for using the HD600 outdoors Lol. FTR, I have no problems whatsoever using the HD600 as my only portable headphone, openback makes no difference to me, I just don't see how openback is an issue, since I already explained further back in this thread that i'm not averse to external sound getting in, my mind just ignores it and keeps hearing the music. And, I just won't use them on public transport because I wouldn't use a closed back headphone on public transport either.

I've seen others around the streets using the HD600 too, so they obviously feel the same way as me about, i.e. it's not an issue.  

May 23, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #14,717 of 23,472

I have the same dilemma as you. I'm waiting for a DAP powerful enough to drive the HD600. By the looks of it i'm gonna need something with a minumum of ">50mW into 300ohms"

I can't speak to whether 30 mW or 65 mW will adequately power the HD 600 to satisfy most most people, as I've only used my HD 600s with amps capable of 800+ mW into 300 ohms. Obviously, based on the specs I would think that the Peachtree would do better in that regard. Even though I'm not looking for a portable amp/DAC, my curiosity got me to look at both the HA-2 and the Shift to see how they compare. I gather that the HA-2 can be used as a DAC only, through it's line-out jack, to a more powerful headphone amp, if you wanted to, but the Shift can't be used that way? If so, that certainly makes the HA-2 more flexible, even if less powerful for driving high impedance headphones.

May 23, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #14,718 of 23,472
I have the same dilemma as you. I'm waiting for a DAP powerful enough to drive the HD600. By the looks of it i'm gonna need something with a minumum of ">50mW into 300ohms"

Yes, so don't you think that the Peachtree SHIFT would suffice? It outputs 65 mW into 300 Ohms.

BTW - Is that what you found through your research? That we'll need at least 50 mW?

May 23, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #14,719 of 23,472
Yes, so don't you think that the Peachtree SHIFT would suffice? It outputs 65 mW into 300 Ohms.

BTW - Is that what you found through your research? That we'll need at least 50 mW?

Well yes, but I don't know a lot about it, i'm just groping around in the dark when it comes to knowing what might drive the HD600 properly.

However, the guy at Headphonia doing the review of the FiiO X7 used the AM2 amp module, which outputs >30 mW(300Ω/1 kHz). And he said something to the effect of the following... The AM2 managed to power my HE-400i very well, and I can even live with it powering my HD650! Out of curiosity I also hooked up the HE-1000 and HD800 directly to the X7 with the AM2 module, and I have to say I was surprised to hear the HD650 sounded reasonably good. I expected both headphones to sound a lot worse, although I still wouldn’t advise using the AM2 with the X7 to drive the HD650, but it does show the potential the X7/AM2 combo was capable of.

So, my synopsis after reading his review, we see that he was surprised at how well the FiiO X7 with AM2 >30 mW (300Ω/1 kHz) was able to drive the HD650, which is a notoriously hard headphone to drive I hear. So, logically I decided if a pro reviewer confirmed that >30 mW (300Ω/1 kHz) was able to drive the fussy HD650 somewhat competently, then (in answer to your question), i would conclude that >65 mW (300Ω/1 kHz) would be more than enough.

May 23, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #14,720 of 23,472

The QuestStyle QP1R will do it.

May 23, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #14,721 of 23,472

I've seen others around the streets using the HD600 too, so they obviously feel the same way as me about, i.e. it's not an issue.  

Ignoring the use of HD600s in an outside environment (because do whatever you like, I'm sure as hell not gonna stop you from enjoying music how you want
wink.gif
), you see people around your area with HD600s? At least people around you know about audio quality for price. All I keep seeing around my area are Beats and Apple earpods. Sad to think most people don't know how to make their music sound good.

May 23, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #14,722 of 23,472
[COLOR=444444]Well yes, but I don't know a lot about it, i'm just groping around in the dark when it comes to knowing what might drive the HD600 properly.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=444444]However, the guy at Headphonia doing the review of the FiiO X7 used the AM2 amp module, which outputs[/COLOR] [COLOR=666666]>30 mW(300Ω/1 kHz). And he said something to the effect of the following... The [/COLOR][COLOR=444444]AM2 managed to power my [/COLOR][COLOR=000000]HE-400i[/COLOR][COLOR=444444] very well, and I can even live with it powering my HD650! Out of curiosity I also hooked up the [/COLOR][COLOR=000000]HE-1000[/COLOR] [COLOR=444444]and [/COLOR][COLOR=000000]HD800[/COLOR][COLOR=444444] directly to the X7 with the AM2 module, and I have to say I was surprised to hear the HD650 sounded reasonably good. I expected both headphones to sound a lot worse, although I still wouldn’t advise using the AM2 with the X7 to drive the HD650, but it does show the potential the X7/AM2 combo was capable of.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=444444]So, my synopsis after reading his review, we see that he was surprised at how well the FiiO X7 with AM2 [/COLOR][COLOR=666666]>30 mW (300Ω/1 kHz) was able to drive the HD650, which is a notoriously hard headphone to drive I hear. So, logically I decided if a pro reviewer confirmed that >30 mW (300Ω/1 kHz) was able to drive the fussy HD650 somewhat competently, then (in answer to your question), i would conclude that >65 mW (300Ω/1 kHz) would be more than enough.[/COLOR]

That review seems to suggest that the OPPO HA-2 could indeed be good enough for the HD 600's.

But would 65 mW into 300 Ohms actually produce better sound (vs 30 mW into 300 Ohms)?

May 23, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #14,723 of 23,472
That review seems to suggest that the OPPO HA-2 could indeed be good enough for the HD 600's.

But would 65 mW into 300 Ohms actually produce better sound (vs 30 mW into 300 Ohms)?

Depends on who you ask. Power is one of those things that varies ear to ear. Some will say the extra 30mW will add dynamic and crisp sound while others will argue all it does is increase the volume by virtue of increasing power. Like much of the audio world, it's a YMMV scenario as far as I'm concerned.

May 23, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #14,724 of 23,472

We must not forget or ignore that the HD6X0's are not just a 300 ohm  headphone.  It's impedance curve is not flat at 300 ohm.  At 100hz it measures all the way up to 500 ohm which will require even more current from an amp.  

cheers

May 23, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #14,727 of 23,472
So Raptor34, Would 65 mW into 300 Ohms be sufficient in this case?

Probably not.   If you want to enjoy the full potential of the HD 600, you must feed it raw, red juicy meat, not fried chicken skin.   Can't believe I said that
redface.gif
but it's true.  Now if you want to spend pretty much the same money, my Oppo PM-3 (shameless plug) out of my HA-2 sounds absolutely stunning.  That's with Lossless files mind you. The PM-3 impedance is 32 ohm @ 102db.  Both components compliment each other.  A good match.   Not so with the HD600.   Just my thoughts on the subject.

cheers

May 23, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #14,728 of 23,472
Depends on who you ask. Power is one of those things that varies ear to ear. Some will say the extra 30mW will add dynamic and crisp sound while others will argue all it does is increase the volume by virtue of increasing power. Like much of the audio world, it's a YMMV scenario as far as I'm concerned.

Hi Midgetguy.

At the same volume, would 65 mW possibly give better sounds than 30 mW?

May 23, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #14,729 of 23,472
  My primary source of music will be my iPhone 6s (with lossless files).  The OPPO HA-2 and the Peactree SHIFT are made for exactly this type of source.

We have 2 small children, and I don't have a dedicated listening room/space in our home.  I need to be versatile, and likely won't know which room I can listen in ahead of time.  

I won't be listening outside of the home (I understand that the HD 600's are "open" headphones), but I do want to be able to travel with them if need be. 

For all of the above reasons, I want/need a portable set-up. 

Interesting situation you have, hope others can come up with a good solution for you.  Does it have to be the HD-600 or are you open to other headphones? If so see below 

My GF uses a HD-700 when she is out walking our dog and uses a Fiio X3 which drives them quite well. 

Another option I would recommend is an EL8 open which my old S5 will drive to very loud levels so I would think your 6S should be okay.

My S5 will also drive my SRH-1840 but the volume will be maxed out at times.

Last recommendation would be HE-400S, I haven't heard it but it seems to be easy to drive.

May 23, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #14,730 of 23,472

Well I sort of see what you're saying, but the fact remains that there are a number of popular closed back headphones that are high impedance too, so people will need the X7 to drive those while out&about. Furthermore, seeing that FiiO has plugin amps for the X7 means they recognize there will be a multitude of different uses, so I don't see why they should force the situation and not give us our choice of amp at the outset.

Some guys in here question why I would want a portable source for the HD600 as if the law imposes the death sentence for using the HD600 outdoors Lol. FTR, I have no problems whatsoever using the HD600 as my only portable headphone, openback makes no difference to me, I just don't see how openback is an issue, since I already explained further back in this thread that i'm not averse to external sound getting in, my mind just ignores it and keeps hearing the music. And, I just won't use them on public transport because I wouldn't use a closed back headphone on public transport either.

I think the majority of those who are buying headphones like the HD-600 or high Z closed headphones are not looking for something that is portable so the market for a DAP with very high output is limited.  As I noted in my other post, Fiio may offer the X7 with different amps some where down the road so I don't see them as "forcing the situation" at this point.

While I've never seen a HD-600 on the streets my GF uses a HD-700 when she walks our dog using a Fiio X3, great sound but the main reason was she wanted to be aware of her surroundings so she wanted an open headphone.  She got stopped by a few people who asked about the HD-700 and another girl that was walking her dog actually when and got a HD-700. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back