Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jun 30, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #11,956 of 23,425
I've been considering getting a missus. Never thought about a blow-up doll. Makes good sense, though.

No offense . 
Just all the talk of p@$n and your PinkyPowers thing(so to speak 
tongue.gif
).

Enjoy your headphones!(preferably with music!!).

Jul 1, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #11,957 of 23,425
Hey Guys, it's getting hot in New England and I am beginning to see the advantages of an IEM . I have some super cheap JVC's I use in the gym and a pair of MEElectronics (wood) W31?? I think is the model and they sound good. 
Any opinions on an IEM for the summer so I can still do some listening? I'd like to keep it on a smaller budget say under $100.00...

Massdrop has a drop on a grab bag, MEElectronics...should I go for it? A $50.00 IEM for 25 
confused.gif

Jul 1, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #11,958 of 23,425
  Hey Guys, it's getting hot in New England and I am beginning to see the advantages of an IEM . I have some super cheap JVC's I use in the gym and a pair of MEElectronics (wood) W31?? I think is the model and they sound good. 
Any opinions on an IEM for the summer so I can still do some listening? I'd like to keep it on a smaller budget say under $100.00...

Massdrop has a drop on a grab bag, MEElectronics...should I go for it? A $50.00 IEM for 25 
confused.gif

The HD600's are open back and allow one's ears to breathe, I have no problems with them. You have an AC?

Jul 1, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #11,959 of 23,425
  The HD600's are open back and allow one's ears to breathe, I have no problems with them. You have an AC?

Yes, we have window ac's but you can't run them while listening... we are going to do central air one of these years but have a large home and it's going to be $$$. I have a ceiling fan in the room and that does help but after an hour or so I get a little warm. I also am a bigger guy and get warm easily. 
Last night I listened with the wood MEElectronics and it wasn't bad. Still know there is much better sound to be had and wanted some suggestions. 

Jul 1, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #11,960 of 23,425
@CADCAM

Trinity Delta.  As soon as the Kickstarter orders are all shipped, Bob is going to offer a Head-Fi promo.  Don't know the details yet - but this might whet your appetite .....

http://www.head-fi.org/products/trinity-delta-dual-hybrid-iem/reviews/12845

Jul 1, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #11,961 of 23,425
  @CADCAM

Trinity Delta.  As soon as the Kickstarter orders are all shipped, Bob is going to offer a Head-Fi promo.  Don't know the details yet - but this might whet your appetite .....

http://www.head-fi.org/products/trinity-delta-dual-hybrid-iem/reviews/12845

Thank you for that information. Are you fimiliar with any of the 3 MEElectronics being offered on Massdrop, if so are they worth looking at? 

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #11,962 of 23,425
  Thank you for that information. Are you fimiliar with any of the 3 MEElectronics being offered on Massdrop, if so are they worth looking at? 

I haven't personally heard any of them, though I think any of them should be solid IEMs for $25. Plus you get entered into a prize pool for some really nice stuff. I mean, it's like a 1/4000 chance but I guess that's better than nothing haha.

Jul 1, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #11,963 of 23,425
I got to say, I was so bonehead to not check my Windows OS volume, it was set just above the half way mark.
No wonder why I thought the the HD600 sounded not loud enough.
After I maxed out the volume on my PC & connected it to my amp, the clarity was amazing.

The details in voices, guitars, instrumental & separation was without a doubt superior to my Philips X1.

I do have to say the bass isn't amazing. I guess it is one of the downsides to having this high quality highs & mids.
It's pretty good, but definitely not one would call thumping.

I'm so impressed with this working with the amp, that I am strongly considering selling the HD600 & paying more to get the HD800.
I been searching around & it seems it can be had for around ~$800 used.

Since I went all in with the expensive amp & will eventually get a equally good DAC, I might as well splurge & get the best from Sennheiser.

Jul 1, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #11,964 of 23,425
I had these for a while and then purchased the Hifiman HE560s and stopped listening to the HD600s for a while. Recently plugged them back in to my Lyr 2 and they crush the Hifimans ( in my opinion ). I feel like such a moron for neglecting these for as long as I had. Incredible Pair ( I use Modi 2 uber and Lyr 2 with them).

Jul 1, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #11,965 of 23,425
  I got to say, I was so bonehead to not check my Windows OS volume, it was set just above the half way mark.
No wonder why I thought the the HD600 sounded not loud enough.
After I maxed out the volume on my PC & connected it to my amp, the clarity was amazing.

The details in voices, guitars, instrumental & separation was without a doubt superior to my Philips X1.

I do have to say the bass isn't amazing. I guess it is one of the downsides to having this high quality highs & mids.
It's pretty good, but definitely not one would call thumping.

I'm so impressed with this working with the amp, that I am strongly considering selling the HD600 & paying more to get the HD800.
I been searching around & it seems it can be had for around ~$800 used.

Since I went all in with the expensive amp & will eventually get a equally good DAC, I might as well splurge & get the best from Sennheiser.

If you're going to test the HD800 and even buy one, I wouldn't sell the HD600.  I have both it and the T1.  To be honest, the HD600 gets more head-time than the T1 - but its great having them both.

Jul 1, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #11,968 of 23,425
Different - more resolving - bigger sound-stage.

But also brighter, and the bigger soundstage is not necessarily better (for some music there is too much sense of distance).  I spent over a week with the HD800 at home on my own gear. Long term, I think I'd like to replace my T1 with either the HD800 or K812.  But I've decided that the one headphone which is not leaving  my possession any more is the HD600.  It's simply too good to let go.

Isn't the HD800 better in almost every way?

You probably need to hear the two - but it's something you need to do over a reasonable period of time.  A few hours might give you a sense of what the headphone can do - but you really need more time to make an informed decision.

Jul 1, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #11,969 of 23,425

You should listen and be the judge yourself.....

Can't really do that without buying it.

Going to have to sell my HD600, X1 & AD700, ATH-M50 & spend a few more to get it.
I guess if it doesn't live to the hype, I can always sell it & go back to the HD600.

Speaking of which, what do you guys think the price for a mint 4 month old HD600, with box & instructions & about  2 hours of use, should go for in the classified section?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back