Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jul 1, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #11,975 of 23,423
  The only stores that sells higher priced headphones around here is Best Buy & Guitar Center.

I doubt either would carry $1,000+ headphones.

Probably not.
Best Buy in my experience is a sad joke.

Guitar center maybe worth a look.
I`m never been in one but I know some folks who have gotten some decent stuff there before.
I think they generally carry some Shure and Beyerdynamic stuff.
More for musicians market I suppose.

IMO you should compare some under $1000 headphones first.
Especially the Shure, Beyerdynamic and Senn. stuff.
There are some fine products in there.

Jul 2, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #11,978 of 23,423
If anyone lives near Orange County in Southern California, there is a men's boutique store called "Cloth and Metal". They have a demo station and stock Audeze, Grado, Senheiser headphones and other top of the line closed backs from B&o and master and dynamic. and expensive DAC and amp systems from Schiit and Peachtree Audio. I went last week and they had both the HD650 and HD600 up for demo.

Jul 2, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #11,980 of 23,423
  When did Sennheiser change the hd600 box? I just exchanged a defective pair with a modern box and got a black "crinkly" box in return. Is there some difference denoted by the boxes I should be aware of?

I'm told that it increases the soundstage.  
biggrin.gif
 Only, I don't believe it.

Jul 2, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #11,981 of 23,423
I like the new box better than the old one as it looks more modern and way less like DIY.
My guess is that the new box design exists since at least summer last year as there was a huge price drop of the HD 600 on Amazon, probably to get rid of the old stock. When I ordered mine in November last year on Amazon I also received a model with the new box design wherefore I was really surprised as I only knew the old one.

Jul 2, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #11,982 of 23,423
  I like the new box better than the old one as it looks more modern and way less like DIY.

I felt this way immediately. There's no difference in sound that I can detect though, so I'm assuming it was just an update and not a way for Sennheiser to internally differentiate product. 

Jul 2, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #11,983 of 23,423
^^^

That's what I think, too, though the last time (before I bought them last year) when I got my hands on the HD 600 was many years ago.

Despite all of today's flagships, imo the HD 600 and DT880 Edt. 600 Ohm offer the best value among open-back headphones when it comes to price-to-sound-ratio with a personal preference towards the HD 600 as it provides the better sound stage reproduction out of the two (for my ears).

Jul 2, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #11,984 of 23,423
  ^^^

That's what I think, too, though the last time when I got my hands on the HD 600 was many years ago.

Despite all of today's flagships, imo the HD 600 and DT880 Edt. 600 Ohm offer the best value among open-back headphones when it comes to price-to-sound-ratio with a personal preference towards the HD 600 as it provides the better sound stage reproduction out of the two (for my ears).

I have both and couldn't agree with you more. I come from a 2 channel audio background and have heard some great amps and speakers and the HD600 & DT880 continually impress me.
Glad I got a good education on headphones and made some intelligent decisions.  Great hobby!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back