Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 27, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #10,876 of 23,472
So which is better when directly used with laptop for classical orchestra?
Meier Corda Jazz or LDMK3?

Thanks!

No one can possibly answer that without having heard the analog-outs of your computer. Intuitively speaking, you may be better off with a DAC/amp combo. As for your preferred musical genre, it's essentially irrelevant; knowing your sonic preferences is much more helpful. Good luck.

Mar 27, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #10,877 of 23,472
No one can possibly answer that without having heard the analog-outs of your computer. Intuitively speaking, you may be better off with a DAC/amp combo. As for your preferred musical genre, it's essentially irrelevant; knowing your sonic preferences is much more helpful. Good luck.

The LD MKIII also has RCA inputs so I believe he would need to come out of the computers headphone output unless there is also a line out, but I assume you would want to use the USB output. So I agree a DAC that accepts USB and has an internal amp might be the unit to look for. As I said I personally do not listen from a computer so if I am wrong someone please correct me.

Mar 27, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #10,878 of 23,472
  I had the HD598's and didn't like them. Somewhat grainy sounding at times with the Sennheiser "veil" I had read about. The HD600 is a different headphone all together... refined, balanced, very pleasing to the ear and absolutely no veil with my LD or Keces amps. The HD598 did look very nice though and were comfortable from what I remember. 

excuse me my ignorance but .... what is "veil" ?

Mar 27, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #10,879 of 23,472
To me it sounded like someone threw a sheet or fine material over the sound. It just lacked...life. 

Mar 27, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #10,880 of 23,472

The LD MKIII also has RCA inputs so I believe he would need to come out of the computers headphone output unless there is also a line out, but I assume you would want to use the USB output. So I agree a DAC that accepts USB and has an internal amp might be the unit to look for. As I said I personally do not listen from a computer so if I am wrong someone please correct me.

Well, I have no idea of DAC. I never used. I have a HP laptop with beat audio. To my surprise, I just found it can drive hd600 pretty well. Well, I know I did not listen to a well-drived 600. I just found on HP with beat audio, it's much better than other laptop. When I further use fiio e12 with them, I feel e12 cannot have obvious improvement over HP. That's it.
So I suppose HP laptop cannot fully drive 600 and e12 is not good enough. So what's next for me?
As for sonic preference, I prefer warm sound a little bit. Well, when I told I listend to Orchestra/symphony, I mean I do not listen too much vocal. And for symphony, dynamic and soundstage is very important.
Is it now more clear for my need?
Thanks so much!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 27, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #10,881 of 23,472
Well, I have no idea of DAC. I never used. I have a HP laptop with beat audio. To my surprise, I just found it can drive hd600 pretty well. Well, I know I did not listen to a well-drived 600. I just found on HP with beat audio, it's much better than other laptop. When I further use fiio e12 with them, I feel e12 cannot have obvious improvement over HP. That's it.
So I suppose HP laptop cannot fully drive 600 and e12 is not good enough. So what's next for me?
As for sonic preference, I prefer warm sound a little bit. Well, when I told I listend to Orchestra/symphony, I mean I do not listen too much vocal. And for symphony, dynamic and soundstage is very important.
Is it now more clear for my need?
Thanks so much!:)

With your experience and sonic preference in mind, I'd look for a Matrix M-Stage with a built-in DAC in the classifieds.

Mar 27, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #10,883 of 23,472
New lowest price for HD600 ... $239.00 on Adorama (40% off).

http://www.adorama.com/SEHD600.html?emailprice=t&utm_term=wCyw0fSG60k4zhsXZP0ui2JfUkVRP805yQF0zE0&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=rflaid62905&cvosrc=affiliate.62905

Mar 27, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #10,884 of 23,472
I'm gonna let you guys into a little secret... I've sold my HD800 and kept the HD600. 
eek.gif

Its true! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Why? 
confused.gif

Well. I needed the cash truth be known.... But! The main thing is, I'm not missing the Senn flagships at all (had em 2 years). They've been gone for 3 weeks now and I am happy as Larry with the hd600. 

Theres no denial involved here, honestly! The HD600 have everything I want in a headphone. They reproduce the music in a natural, airy, dynamic way with a nice punch and coherence that even the 800's can't match. 

I've always been more of a music fan than an audiophile so.... Yes I will miss the uber clarity and refinement of the HD800 (they deserve their reputation) but for now I'm back in the arms of a reliable - master of sound reproduction.

Now thats appreciation folks!  

Mar 27, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #10,885 of 23,472
  I'm gonna let you guys into a little secret... I've sold my HD800 and kept the HD600. 
eek.gif

Its true! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Why? 
confused.gif

Well. I needed the cash truth be known.... But! The main thing is, I'm not missing the Senn flagships at all (had em 2 years). They've been gone for 3 weeks now and I am happy as Larry with the hd600. 

Theres no denial involved here, honestly! The HD600 have everything I want in a headphone. They reproduce the music in a natural, airy, dynamic way with a nice punch and coherence that even the 800's can't match. 

I've always been more of a music fan than an audiophile so.... Yes I will miss the uber clarity and refinement of the HD800 (they deserve their reputation) but for now I'm back in the arms of a reliable - master of sound reproduction.

What's amplifier are you using? :)

Mar 27, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #10,886 of 23,472

What's amplifier are you using? :)

Currently plugged into a vintage NAD 3225PE. And a NAD 3020 for my bedroom rig. 

Done a lot of amp rolling and these old guys have a tone that is very special imo. :)

Mar 27, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #10,887 of 23,472
I'm gonna let you guys into a little secret... I've sold my HD800 and kept the HD600. :eek:  

Its true! :bigsmile_face:  

Why? :confused:  

Nice. :)

Mar 27, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #10,888 of 23,472
Currently plugged into a vintage NAD 3225PE. And a NAD 3020 for my bedroom rig. 

Done a lot of amp rolling and these old guys have a tone that is very special imo. :)

I've owned both of the amps. They do have a pleasing tonal balance at the expense of detail, definition, articulation, and transparency. Have you, by chance, tried a very good dedicated HP amplifier with a similarly warm tonal balance?

Mar 27, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #10,889 of 23,472
I've owned both of the amps. They do have a pleasing tonal balance at the expense of detail, definition, articulation, and transparency. Have you, by chance, tried a very good dedicated HP amplifier with a similarly warm tonal balance?

Well "good" is ofcourse subjective my friend :) But I've had amps from Schiit, Audio GD, OTL designs, many SS at the lower end. And they all have their qualities. But no amp that I have tried sounds as good as the ole NAD's. But hey, thats just my preference :) 

Your statement of 'tonal balance at the expense of detail, definition, articulation, and transparency' paints a very different picture to my experience. Did you have them serviced? Cleaned etc? Cap's don't last forever. 

Mar 27, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #10,890 of 23,472
Well "good" is ofcourse subjective my friend :) But I've had amps from Schiit, Audio GD, OTL designs, many SS at the lower end. And they all have their qualities. But no amp that I have tried sounds as good as the ole NAD's. But hey, thats just my preference :) 

Your statement of 'tonal balance at the expense of detail, definition, articulation, and transparency' paints a very different picture to my experience. Did you have them serviced? Cleaned etc? Cap's don't last forever

I owned them while they were in production in a system consisting of a Thorens 'table, and KEF Ref101/ BA A100/ BA A40 (at various incarnations of the system). Switching to a Hegeman Hapi2/Amber70 was a revelation at the time. I also re-auditioned the 3020 in a much higher resolution system about 15 years later. Frankly, it was a slaughter. No offence meant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back