Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 13, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #10,711 of 23,482

I heard the DT 990 Pro 250Ohm version. The mids are actually not bad on the 770 for me. I also have the HD 25-1 II which is more neutral just not as comfortable for longer sessions, and lacks the sound stage of the 770. That's the first I heard of this DT 150. Looks really old school (70's) but looks to be built like a tank. I do prefer the comfort of velour also though.

Ah, I didn't like the DT 990 Pro on anything but tubes, the treble irritated me regardless. I found the 600 ohm more to my liking. I never found the DT 770 too bad, but I prefer the DT 150. It's not the most popular headphone, but it's been around over 20 years, the original design comes from the 60s though. Pleather pads are a mixed bag, agreed. I prefer velour myself. 

Mar 13, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #10,712 of 23,482
  Ah, I didn't like the DT 990 Pro on anything but tubes, the treble irritated me regardless. I found the 600 ohm more to my liking. I never found the DT 770 too bad, but I prefer the DT 150. It's not the most popular headphone, but it's been around over 20 years, the original design comes from the 60s though. Pleather pads are a mixed bag, agreed. I prefer velour myself. 

The one closed headphone I was considering is the Shure SRH1540. But I don't know if I could justify spending that much on a closed headphone, especially considering I could get 3 sets of pretty damn good 770's for that.

PS: I was considering a decent IEM that has a comparable sound to the HD 600 too. I did order the Shure SE215. That will be my first IEM over $25. I doubt it will be even as good as the 770 though.

Mar 13, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #10,713 of 23,482
  The one closed headphone I was considering is the Shure SRH1540. But I don't know if I could justify spending that much on a closed headphone, especially considering I could get 3 sets of pretty damn good 770's for that.

PS: I was considering a decent IEM that has a comparable sound to the HD 600 too. I did order the Shure SE215. That will be my first IEM over $25. I doubt it will be even as good as the 770 though.

I haven't heard the DT770s, but I can tell you that, in my opinion, the SE215 isn't the right IEM to go for if you want something similar to HD600s. They're kinda dark. I recently bought a set of Fidue A83s and they sound amazing, much closer to the HD600s, but with a little more warmth. But those are definitely out of the range of what you were willing to pay for portable since they're nearly $300
biggrin.gif
. I think perhaps you'll want something like the Havi B3 Pro 1 or VSonic VSD3/S (at least in the range of what I've listened to though there are many others out there that might fit your needs). I haven't listened to many other IEMs but of the ones I've had, those two stand out to be the best SQ in the budget with the right signature. The VSD3/S can be a little hit and miss though on build quality and I hate their implementation of a straight jack. But the shell fit is similar to the SE215; it's sounds better than the SE215 though in my opinion.

Mar 13, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #10,714 of 23,482

I haven't heard the Shure's before. Would like to try them out. Only problem is I find so few closed-backs get it right. A closed-back can sound as good as an open-back in the same league, but so few are well designed enough to achieve that sort of sound. 

I can't tolerate IEM's personally, something about having something in my ear canal really bothers me. Hopefully they turn out well for you. 

Mar 13, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #10,715 of 23,482

If you can wait a few more weeks, there will be a dual hybrid released by a new company - it'll be a Kickstarter campaign - and IMO they actually sound kinda similar to the HD600.  Glorious vocals, bit of a mid bass hump, and enough sparkle to keep things interesting.  Best of all they'll be released with 3 filters (to tune the sound) - and I think the price will be sub $150.  Build is stellar (I've had the prototypes with me for a couple of weeks).

Can't mention too much at this stage - as manufacturer still ironing out the details - but IMO these are the real deal.

Mar 13, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #10,716 of 23,482

If you can wait a few more weeks, there will be a dual hybrid released by a new company - it'll be a Kickstarter campaign - and IMO they actually sound kinda similar to the HD600.  Glorious vocals, bit of a mid bass hump, and enough sparkle to keep things interesting.  Best of all they'll be released with 3 filters (to tune the sound) - and I think the price will be sub $150.  Build is stellar (I've had the prototypes with me for a couple of weeks).

Can't mention too much at this stage - as manufacturer still ironing out the details - but IMO these are the real deal.

Are you talking about the ENIGMAcoustic Dharma? Or is it something else?

Mar 13, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #10,717 of 23,482
Nope - brand new company.  When I get the final models, I'll send them for a quick listen if you're keen.

Mar 13, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #10,718 of 23,482
Actually I should correct that - because they are a bit darker than the HD600 - but still smooth and clear.  Maybe just a bit closer to HD650.  I love them.

Mar 13, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #10,719 of 23,482
  Nope - brand new company.  When I get the final models, I'll send them for a quick listen if you're keen.

Quote:
  Actually I should correct that - because they are a bit darker than the HD600 - but still smooth and clear.  Maybe just a bit closer to HD650.  I love them.

What is it? Is it a headphone, or IEM? Sub $150 price seems like a good deal, especially if the sound sig is close to the HD6x0.

Mar 13, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #10,720 of 23,482
Just my view Riz - H20 initially thought they were a bit boring, but I've seen both the HD600 and 650 described the same way.  For easy no fatiguing listening with plenty of vocal detail, but natural balance, I think they knock it out of the park.  They're a dual driver hybrid IEM.  Still in development.  Wonderful build quality + has a filter system for changing sound sig.

Mar 13, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #10,721 of 23,482
  Just my view Riz - H20 initially thought they were a bit boring, but I've seen both the HD600 and 650 described the same way.  For easy no fatiguing listening with plenty of vocal detail, but natural balance, I think they knock it out of the park.  They're a dual driver hybrid IEM.  Still in development.  Wonderful build quality + has a filter system for changing sound sig.

Sounds like a real deal. The RE-600, which I initially think sounds great, gets boring very quickly. Still looking for a portable headphone/IEM that suits my taste and, although I am yet to audition some good candidates (Momentum 2, Spirit Pro, PM-3) I can't see why I shouldn't get this IEM if it doesn't cost a lot.

Thanks for the heads-up Paul!

Mar 13, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #10,722 of 23,482
I'll let you know when the KS campaign is underway.

By then we should be able to disclose a lot more info about them.  So far 3 reviewers working with the new company - myself, H20 and Mark2410.  It's been quite a cool project to be involved in -especially watching development, and having a hand in some of the input.

Mar 13, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #10,723 of 23,482

Audeo Phonak PFE 112, is very reminiscent of the HD600.  no longer being manufactured but still readily available direct or through earphonesolutions.  I have 3 pairs.  The oldest is about 4 or 5 years old and still going strong.  They share the same clarity and detail as the HD600.  The gray filter is a bit weaker on bass than the 600, but the black filter is about like the 600 or a bit stronger on sub-bass.  These are an incredible bargain, even though their price has gone up some since they were first introduced.  I really wish Audeo hadn't gotten out of the IEM business.  The expensive 232 (which was 5 times the price and only slightly better in sound compared to the 112) was a bad idea on their part  and I think was what pushed them out of the sector.  The 232 is a a good IEM, but matched by their own much cheaper offering. But if you like the HD600, you will like the PFE 112.

Mar 13, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #10,724 of 23,482

I haven't heard the DT770s, but I can tell you that, in my opinion, the SE215 isn't the right IEM to go for if you want something similar to HD600s. They're kinda dark. I recently bought a set of Fidue A83s and they sound amazing, much closer to the HD600s, but with a little more warmth. But those are definitely out of the range of what you were willing to pay for portable since they're nearly $300
biggrin.gif
. I think perhaps you'll want something like the Havi B3 Pro 1 or VSonic VSD3/S (at least in the range of what I've listened to though there are many others out there that might fit your needs). I haven't listened to many other IEMs but of the ones I've had, those two stand out to be the best SQ in the budget with the right signature. The VSD3/S can be a little hit and miss though on build quality and I hate their implementation of a straight jack. But the shell fit is similar to the SE215; it's sounds better than the SE215 though in my opinion.

Yes since this is my first dip into the deeps of IEM I didn't want to spend over $100 yet. My main concern is whether I can get used to the comfort of IEM's. My past experience with cheap ones has been very bad. If I am at least happy with the fit and comfort I can move up to something that sounds better in the future. But I probably can't justify going over $200 for an IEM that will likely only be used away from my main rig. I like the replaceable cables on the SE215 too, since that's been the single point of failure with my other earbuds. Especially considering these will get moved and abused on the go. Thanks for the suggestions, the VSonic looks alot like the SE215 at half the price. I would probably have jumped on that one too.

Edit: Just realized the Vsonic has detachable cables too. Well that's pretty sweet! Maybe I will suggest them to a friend and take a listen to compare to my SE215 :p.

Edit2: What do you think of the Vsonic GR07? Reviews of that seem very good too at the same price as the SE215.
  I haven't heard the Shure's before. Would like to try them out. Only problem is I find so few closed-backs get it right. A closed-back can sound as good as an open-back in the same league, but so few are well designed enough to achieve that sort of sound. 

I can't tolerate IEM's personally, something about having something in my ear canal really bothers me. Hopefully they turn out well for you. 

I feel the same way, very skeptical an IEM can sound even as good as a full-size on ear closed headphone in the same price range, let alone a legendary open-back headphone like the HD600. I don't really have high expectations of IEM's which is why I'm not spending too much. Comfort is always a top priority for me, and also a problem I have had with other earbuds. Under $100 the SE215 seemed to offer a great ergonomic design. For now I am happy with my HD 25-1 II for on the go, but alot of times I leave it at work so it would be nice to have a 2nd on the go pair. So I figured why not try an IEM.

Mar 14, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #10,725 of 23,482
My sister came over and I had her try my Maverick D1>HD600 setup. Played her some Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga Cheek to Cheek. Her immediate reaction was, "It's like they're singing right in front of you!", which she exclaimed in an overly loud voice.

L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back