Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 10, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #10,697 of 23,482
  As much as I like Hendrix, some of his stuff could get rambly or silly.  But right now, listening to "1983...A Merman I should turn to be", thru uberfrost/valhalla2/HD600, I'm hearing it as if for the first time.  I used to write off this track, but now i'm digging it deeply.  Thank you Jimi, Fender, Marshall, Schitt, and Sennheiser.

While you've got Electric Ladyland out, give "Voodoo Chile Slight Return" a spin.
Also try "Pali Gap," it's on the "Rainbow Bridge" album and some of the later concoctions thrown together after he croaked. You wouldn't think Hendrix did that one.

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #10,698 of 23,482
  Too late, it's back up to full price at Adorama. 
mad.gif
  It's $289 at Amazon.

Here in Canada it's hard to find under $500. I got a family member in California to get it at bestbuy and ship it to me for $400. I would do it all over again too!

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #10,699 of 23,482
Mar 11, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #10,706 of 23,482
Had an incredible listening session last nite with my DT880's, loaded up my 6 disc platter with some great music and had a blast. That was last night. So today I switched it up and put 4 great discs in and hit random with the HD600 connected. Very different but just as enjoyable. The HD600 is much more mid-range focused than the DT880 which has a more accentuated high end. I'm not saying the HD600 lacks high end detail but the DT880's treble is hotter, as many have said.
The bass on both is impressive but the HD600's bass on this setup (Maverick D2 DAC, LD MKIII amp) is superior IMHO. Although the DT880's have great bass the low end on the HD600 seems more refined and natural sounding. I've heard members say the HD600 reminds them of listening to a loudspeaker setup and I agree. It's the most speaker sounding of all my headphones. The HD600 is also so easy on the ears but I believe the DT880 is just as comfortable if not slightly more so.

Listening to -
Gov't Mule - Life Before Insanity
Widespread Panic - Everyday
Styx - Greatest Hits (remastered)
Yang - A Complex Nature

nice variety of music that the HD600 handled well

Mar 12, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #10,707 of 23,482
  Had an incredible listening session last nite with my DT880's, loaded up my 6 disc platter with some great music and had a blast. That was last night. So today I switched it up and put 4 great discs in and hit random with the HD600 connected. Very different but just as enjoyable. The HD600 is much more mid-range focused than the DT880 which has a more accentuated high end. I'm not saying the HD600 lacks high end detail but the DT880's treble is hotter, as many have said.
The bass on both is impressive but the HD600's bass on this setup (Maverick D2 DAC, LD MKIII amp) is superior IMHO. Although the DT880's have great bass the low end on the HD600 seems more refined and natural sounding. I've heard members say the HD600 reminds them of listening to a loudspeaker setup and I agree. It's the most speaker sounding of all my headphones. The HD600 is also so easy on the ears but I believe the DT880 is just as comfortable if not slightly more so.

Listening to -
Gov't Mule - Life Before Insanity
Widespread Panic - Everyday
Styx - Greatest Hits (remastered)
Yang - A Complex Nature

nice variety of music that the HD600 handled well

Thanks for the comparison. I own the DT 770 and have auditioned the DT 990 but not the DT 880 yet. I found the 990 a bit harsh and sibilant in the 9k+ range. The 770 is my go to closed can when I need isolation at home. Alot have noted the 880 as having elevated high's. Make's me hesitant because of my experience with the 990. The 770 has elevated highs too but they are pretty rolled off and never get harsh for me. I love the mids and overall natural yet revealing sound signature of the HD 600.

There's a reason I'm not alone in this regard. Mids are often a weak point, especially on closed headphones. Vocals fall into the mid range and are central to "almost" all genres. So why shouldn't mids be the central focus on a headphone? Human hearing can actually withstand more volume in the mid range. Interesting that our ears are best at hearing our own voices. The newer trend in my generation seems to be lows and highs. I think because the combination of high's and boomy bass gives a perception of loudness. This is how a lot of pop music is mixed now, people want 100% loud 100% of the time. What happened to the build up? That's what I love about classical. They used volume and tempo to portray emotion. It's like we all got ADD now.

Mar 12, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #10,708 of 23,482

Thanks for the comparison. I own the DT 770 and have auditioned the DT 990 but not the DT 880 yet. I found the 990 a bit harsh and sibilant in the 9k+ range. The 770 is my go to closed can when I need isolation at home. Alot have noted the 880 as having elevated high's. Make's me hesitant because of my experience with the 990. The 770 has elevated highs too but they are pretty rolled off and never get harsh for me. I love the mids and overall natural yet revealing sound signature of the HD 600.

There's a reason I'm not alone in this regard. Mids are often a weak point, especially on closed headphones. Vocals fall into the mid range and are central to "almost" all genres. So why shouldn't mids be the central focus on a headphone? Human hearing can actually withstand more volume in the mid range. Interesting that our ears are best at hearing our own voices. The newer trend in my generation seems to be lows and highs. I think because the combination of high's and boomy bass gives a perception of loudness. This is how a lot of pop music is mixed now, people want 100% loud 100% of the time. What happened to the build up? That's what I love about classical. They used volume and tempo to portray emotion. It's like we all got ADD now.

Mids are often a weak point on many headphones sadly. If you want excellent mids from a closed-back while having pleasant treble and bass, the DT 150 is the answer. Which DT 990 did you hear? The DT 880 can be sibilant depending on the system. The mids on the HD 600 are awesome that's for sure. 

I have noticed so many songs don't have a proper built up. Classical can surprise you with the sudden build up and other times simply bring you to tears, sometimes it brings you to awe. It's like an emotional journey throughout the track.

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #10,710 of 23,482
  Mids are often a weak point on many headphones sadly. If you want excellent mids from a closed-back while having pleasant treble and bass, the DT 150 is the answer. Which DT 990 did you hear? The DT 880 can be sibilant depending on the system. The mids on the HD 600 are awesome that's for sure. 

I have noticed so many songs don't have a proper built up. Classical can surprise you with the sudden build up and other times simply bring you to tears, sometimes it brings you to awe. It's like an emotional journey throughout the track.

I heard the DT 990 Pro 250Ohm version. The mids are actually not bad on the 770 for me. I also have the HD 25-1 II which is more neutral just not as comfortable for longer sessions, and lacks the sound stage of the 770. That's the first I heard of this DT 150. Looks really old school (70's) but looks to be built like a tank. I do prefer the comfort of velour also though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back