Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 8, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #10,666 of 23,482
  Hi guys :)

The latest HD600s manufactured are coming in a Black or Silver box?
I noticed in the HD650 thread that Sennheiser changed it from Silver to Black and some users reports a little different tuning (maybe new earpads??).

Maybe they just ran out of boxes and decided to refresh the look of the packaging. That doesn't mean that they would change the cans. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Mar 8, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #10,670 of 23,482
  Maybe they just ran out of boxes and decided to refresh the look of the packaging. That doesn't mean that they would change the cans. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I'm asking that because after much reading (opinions and technical articles) I still don't get if HD600 and HD650 drivers (newer versions) are the same with just different tuning or if HD650 have a superior driver due to the price-difference between the two.

Mar 8, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #10,671 of 23,482

My Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 Plus arrived! Now my HD600s get to really sing.

Congratulation for new amp/dac, give D1 time to burn-in.The sound will be better after burned in.

Is it safe to leave the box powered on all the time, or will that kill the tubes quicker?

Mar 8, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #10,672 of 23,482

I'm asking that because after much reading (opinions and technical articles) I still don't get if HD600 and HD650 drivers (newer versions) are the same with just different tuning or if HD650 have a superior driver due to the price-difference between the two.

IMO in this case superior is a subjective thing. The HD600's R&D and setup costs have long since been recovered so it's easy for Sennheiser to sell it a lower price and still ring up profits. I would go by the sound profile, which I did and after extensive A/B comparisons I selected the HD600's. Another person might prefer the 650's.

Mar 8, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #10,673 of 23,482
  IMO in this case superior is a subjective thing. The HD600's R&D and setup costs have long since been recovered so it's easy for Sennheiser to sell it a lower price and still ring up profits. I would go by the sound profile, which I did and after extensive A/B comparisons I selected the HD600's. Another person might prefer the 650's.

Well, I mean technically superior (objective), not tonally or tuning-wise (that's subjective) superior.
It's like comparing power and torque from two vehicle engines but for headphones we have parameters like distorsion, impedance, phase shifts, etc

Looking into this thread (http://www.head-fi.org/t/627036/sennheiser-hd580-hd600-replacement-driver-parts-lists-costs) confused me more than before because raw HD600 drivers costs more than HD650 drivers...weird!

Mar 8, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #10,674 of 23,482

Is it safe to leave the box powered on all the time, or will that kill the tubes quicker?

You don't have to turn on 24x7...:)
Attach your HD600 into D1 , play some music let's say ,3-5 hours per day.

I have D1 since 2011(?), the tube still good and strong, but the blue LED sometime not working.

Mar 8, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #10,675 of 23,482

You don't have to turn on 24x7...:)
Attach your HD600 into D1 , play some music let's say ,3-5 hours per day.

I have D1 since 2011(?), the tube still good and strong, but the blue LED sometime not working.

I ask, not because of burn-in, but because I tend to leave all my equipment on, anyways. Except my monitor. That I turn off when I'm done.

Is the vacuum tube technically "in-use" while it's powered on, even if I'm not playing any music through it?

I can see that the tube is lit up, and generating heat, so I assume it is under some sort of load.

Mar 8, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #10,676 of 23,482

Well, I mean technically superior (objective), not tonally or tuning-wise (that's subjective) superior.
It's like comparing power and torque from two vehicle engines but for headphones we have parameters like distorsion, impedance, phase shifts, etc

Looking into this thread (http://www.head-fi.org/t/627036/sennheiser-hd580-hd600-replacement-driver-parts-lists-costs) confused me more than before because raw HD600 drivers costs more than HD650 drivers...weird!

Specwise, I'd say that the HD650 might have a tad less distortion, which might not be in the human realm of perception. The HD600 has an FR that is more neutral while the HD650's bass is more elevated and its treble is slightly reduced. When it comes to headphones, IMO it is best to give it a listening to.
There was a poll on Head-Fi comparing the two, I believe that the HD600 won, not by a large margin.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/698372/the-ultimate-hd600-vs-hd650-poll-closed-hd600-wins

Mar 8, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #10,677 of 23,482

I ask, not because of burn-in, but because I tend to leave all my equipment on, anyways. Except my monitor. That I turn off when I'm done.

Is the vacuum tube technically "in-use" while it's powered on, even if I'm not playing any music through it?

I can see that the tube is lit up, and generating heat, so I assume it is under some sort of load.

The part that you see lit is the heater. And yes, it is best to turn off a tube amp if you leave it for any length of time. The tubes have a lifespan in hours and turning off the amp extends that lifespan. 

It's like turning off the lights when you leave the room.

Mar 8, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #10,678 of 23,482
I was once told that valves will last indefinitely if left on. Switch on causes the most stress.
However, I used to leave my amp on my stereo on. Until the day a malfunction took a driver out!
There is also the possible fire risk to consider.
I wouldn't worry about tube life. Switch on a while before listening if possible. Turn off when unattended. Buy new tubes as necessary. Would be my advice.

Mar 8, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #10,679 of 23,482

This might help (http://www.head-fi.org/t/740942/comparison-review-part-deux-a-tale-of-two-sennheisers-hd600-vs-hd650)

Both were the "newer driver" versions.  Differences aren't huge.

Mar 8, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #10,680 of 23,482

This might help (http://www.head-fi.org/t/740942/comparison-review-part-deux-a-tale-of-two-sennheisers-hd600-vs-hd650)

Both were the "newer driver" versions.  Differences aren't huge.

True, the differences between the two is rather moderate, there is no huge difference between the two. I have found depending on the system the differences can be larger or smaller though. Though some odd reason I find my HD 600 to sound more akin to my K712 than the HD 650. This causes a problem as the HD 600 fights with my K712 for head time. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back