Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jul 19, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #8,041 of 23,501
With the HD600 the better the amp the better they will sound. So... keep the E10 and get an o2. E17 is a portable DAC/AMP but i can't see why you would need something portable to use with the HD600 :p

The HD600 will be fine with the E10, so take your time to listen from the e10 and burn the headphones, and if the volume is low or you are willing to pay for something better, then i guess the O2 is a good amp.

Is it really true that a "better" amp will improve the way a headphone performs? From reading I have concluded that all an amp should do is increase volume. Interesting that you suggest the O2 as a better amp. I use it and am amazed by the SQ of this combo with the 600's. Sometimes wonder if spending hundreds on more exotic amp would be beneficial though.

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #8,042 of 23,501

With the HD600 the better the amp the better they will sound. So... keep the E10 and get an o2. E17 is a portable DAC/AMP but i can't see why you would need something portable to use with the HD600 :p

The HD600 will be fine with the E10, so take your time to listen from the e10 and burn the headphones, and if the volume is low or you are willing to pay for something better, then i guess the O2 is a good amp.

Is it really true that a "better" amp will improve the way a headphone performs? From reading I have concluded that all an amp should do is increase volume. Interesting that you suggest the O2 as a better amp. I use it and am amazed by the SQ of this combo with the 600's. Sometimes wonder if spending hundreds on more exotic amp would be beneficial though.

Don't forget about minimizing unwanted diaphragm movement.

Jul 19, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #8,043 of 23,501
Well... I really wanted to justify the purchase of e09k over o2 but you are not making it easy for me :D( because I can get much better deal on e9) I will think about it. Super excited about hd600 anyway :D
Thanks for your help and opinions

Jul 19, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #8,044 of 23,501
Hey everyone, I recently bought a new HD600 and am wondering why they sound so bassy (since most ppl seem to think these are neutral phones). Compared to my HM5, which almost sounds like they have recessed bass, hd600 sometimes has overbearing sub-bass. Does anyone know if sennheiser changed hd600's driver to be more bassy or something?

Jul 19, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #8,045 of 23,501
They are good full range headphones, with healthy bass that most people consider pretty natural and appropriate. But people vary, so you may not care for them. Make sure you have any equalization, or bass and treble controls, turned off.

Jul 19, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #8,046 of 23,501
I haven't seen the HD600s in person; only photographs. Some of the photos seem to indicate that the housing is gray faux "granite" and the pads are either gray or black. Other photos appear to show the "granite" surface as being more blue and the pads a brown color. Do the colors actually vary on these 'phones? From what I can see, the difference doesn't seem to be a matter of simply different lighting or white balance of the camera, but I could be wrong. I'm really interested in ordering these (as an alternative to my DT990s). Thanks in advance.

Jul 19, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #8,047 of 23,501
  I'm referring to this, to be clear, and let's take another classic can for comparison. I edited my previous post as per correct frequency area.

You typically will want to throw either more current or voltage to grab the can by it's hairy drivers. HD600 prefers more current, thank you.

Why do you say that the HD600 requires more current? As the impedance goes up in the peak, it actually requires less current. Most amplifiers are voltage gain devices, so the output voltage remains the same as long as the impedance doesn't go too low and demand more current than the amp can supply at the given voltage and impedance, usually not a problem if you have the correct amp. For example a typical OTL tube amp is not very good at supplying enough current for low impedance headphones and there are a SS amps that cannot reach enough voltage to adequately drive high impedance headphones. There are SS, tube and hybrid Amps that can do it all.
This stuff hangs about some basic stuff, Ohms Law. I don't see how the HD600 prefers more current. More current than what? As a general statement the HD600 may require more voltage than some low impedance headphones.

Jul 19, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #8,048 of 23,501
The 600's are a "marbleized" faux finish (can also be described as a granite looking), with blue/black colors.  Pads are black.  The 650 is gray.  
No brown pads here.  There are brown ones on the 5xx something.  I think the 598, not sure.

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #8,052 of 23,501
I'm thinking of buying odac/o2 for hd600. Since odac/o2 is considered somewhat bright, would I experience treble fatigue with it?

Nope. But you would experience boring transparent sound depend on your preferences. No bass, treble or vocal coloration. Anyway, this combo isn't bright to my ear and it's not really boring. The reason I don't pick this combo is because I like a bit of coloration from Crack. I like tubey sound but my Crack doesn't sound like a tube amp. Lol... I guess it's that Sylvania tube is the culprit.

Jul 20, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #8,053 of 23,501
I'm thinking of buying odac/o2 for hd600. Since odac/o2 is considered somewhat bright, would I experience treble fatigue with it?

No but you'd lack some grunt with how the O2 can drive the HD600 on dynamic passages. I generally like amps whose sound are for the most part "unremarkable" (meaning it doesn't do anything wrong, doesn't color the sound, etc), but when you put two such amps against each other - like the Cantate.2 and the O2 - the more powerful amp has a lot more headroom. The usual mistake that people make is assume outright that the louder amp is better, hence the critique of going for bigger and bigger amps all the time, but in this case the Cantate.2 isn't just louder, but at my normal listening level on it, there's also less audible distortion than the comparable (by ear) 3/4-ish max volume level on the O2.

Don't let that deter you from the O2 though - if you listen in a very quiet environment (I listen at night, but over here I need to run the A/C to cool the room, although I don't run it through the whole night) it's really tough to beat for its price. Note how much more the Cantate.2's MSRP was, and even its used prices are, over the O2.

Jul 20, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #8,055 of 23,501

So in the end I decided to do just that. Getting hd600 on tuesday and o2 should arrive in about 3 weeks. Thanks for help and for the measurement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back