Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jul 20, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #8,056 of 23,501
  With the HD600 the better the amp the better they will sound. So... keep the E10 and get an o2. E17 is a portable DAC/AMP but i can't see why you would need something portable to use with the HD600 :p
The HD600 will be fine with the E10, so take your time to listen from the e10 and burn the headphones, and if the volume is low or you are willing to pay for something better, then i guess the O2 is a good amp.

Now why would you want to do that? 
tongue.gif

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #8,057 of 23,501
The O2, to my ears, is neither bright, nor boring. It's transparent. It sounds like whatever headphone you plug into it, eg. if you plug in HD 600s, the O2 sounds like the HD 600s. If you find the O2 boring, either you just want a colored sound or you should get new headphones.

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #8,059 of 23,501
  I haven't seen the HD600s in person; only photographs. Some of the photos seem to indicate that the housing is gray faux "granite" and the pads are either gray or black. Other photos appear to show the "granite" surface as being more blue and the pads a brown color. Do the colors actually vary on these 'phones? From what I can see, the difference doesn't seem to be a matter of simply different lighting or white balance of the camera, but I could be wrong. I'm really interested in ordering these (as an alternative to my DT990s). Thanks in advance.

It is actually all lighting. I've felt the same and thought it hard to believe it's just one version. But having owned the hd600 for more than a year, yeah their coloring changes with lighting. The 598 does this too. In many shots you will see the accents as purple, but depending on lighting, they can also seem brown.

Jul 20, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #8,061 of 23,501
  The O2, to my ears, is neither bright, nor boring. It's transparent. It sounds like whatever headphone you plug into it, eg. if you plug in HD 600s, the O2 sounds like the HD 600s. If you find the O2 boring, either you just want a colored sound or you should get new headphones.

That's why i am planning to get an O2. I love the sound signature of the HD600 :D Maybe i would like +1dB at the lower bass but that's it. I guess an amp will help at the bass, so i think i will be more than happy :)

Jul 21, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #8,062 of 23,501
  That's why i am planning to get an O2. I love the sound signature of the HD600 :D Maybe i would like +1dB at the lower bass but that's it. I guess an amp will help at the bass, so i think i will be more than happy :)

You should like it. I think if I haven't spent time with tube amp and DAC, I might grab Objective combo for my HD600. But different ear different taste. I compared O2 with Bravo V2 and Aune T1 amp, I prefer Ocean V2 over O2 due to the tube sound. :D

I think objective combo is a good pairing, but not my liking.

Jul 21, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #8,064 of 23,501

Now why would you want to do that? 
tongue.gif

Hey burning headphones can be cool... especially if they're awful. Just please don't burn your HD600... they're timeless and should be apart of society for thousands of years to come.
biggrin.gif
 Your purpose is much higher than you think, it is an important part of the history in headphones and... your HD600 could be the one that lasts till the end of time. 

Jul 21, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #8,065 of 23,501
  I haven't seen the HD600s in person; only photographs. Some of the photos seem to indicate that the housing is gray faux "granite" and the pads are either gray or black. Other photos appear to show the "granite" surface as being more blue and the pads a brown color. Do the colors actually vary on these 'phones? From what I can see, the difference doesn't seem to be a matter of simply different lighting or white balance of the camera, but I could be wrong. I'm really interested in ordering these (as an alternative to my DT990s). Thanks in advance.

Lighting changes the looks of these.  In real life, they are actually a blue/gray with black marble pattern, and all black pads.  Hard to describe the color, harder to photograph!  This is the closest I've come to the actual color.

Jul 21, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #8,066 of 23,501
Although that's a nice pic I think they are a little more subdued in real life. I've always really liked the finish. I know some don't.

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #8,067 of 23,501
Would I lose a lot (sonically speaking) if I sold my HD600 (and my FiiO E10) and just get the B&W P7?

I absolutely adore the sound of my HD600 but sometimes it would be great if I could power adequately from my laptop, mp3 player or tablet. I could also use them on long distance bus and train trips. With the HD600 I feel obligated to stay at my desk, as it's not practical to take both the laptop and the headphone amp to bed, for instance.

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #8,068 of 23,501
Have both! :) I've not heard the P7. Heard the P5 and was underwhelmed. The 600's are obviously not suited to portable use but are too lovely not to have at home IMHO. Have you tried the Momentums for portable use?

Jul 21, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #8,069 of 23,501
  Would I lose a lot (sonically speaking) if I sold my HD600 (and my FiiO E10) and just get the B&W P7?

I absolutely adore the sound of my HD600 but sometimes it would be great if I could power adequately from my laptop, mp3 player or tablet. I could also use them on long distance bus and train trips. With the HD600 I feel obligated to stay at my desk, as it's not practical to take both the laptop and the headphone amp to bed, for instance.

One possible answer - get a DAP like the Fiio X5.  Easily powers the X5 - and then makes it a transportable solution :)

X3 would be another (cheaper) alternative.

Jul 21, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #8,070 of 23,501
I cannot justify the expense of having both. I was underwhelmed by the P5 as well but have read great things about the P7 and they are absolutely gorgeous to look too.
The momentum can't really compare to the HD600 soundwise and I found the earcups maybe a little small as I was always adjusting them on my ears.

I also compared the FiiO E10 to the soundcard on my Asus and I'm finding impossible to distinguish between the two. I guess I'm selling the DAC/Amp.

EDIT: Okay, there might be a slight advantage to the FiiO over the laptop. The sound seems a bit "clearer".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back