Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Feb 20, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #6,571 of 23,482
  Ok I have a nice little DIY silver cable and it sounds good but compared to the stock cable there's not much of a difference, they sound a bit more clear but that's about it. So I was wanting to know if Cardas cables make much of a difference compared to the stock ones. For $200 I could get other things but if it makes the 600's sound clearer and cleaner I'd be happy to buy one.

It wouldn't make $200 difference, but hey, it's your money. I have Cardas myself (I too had some money to burn 10 years ago), but I'd never pay that today.

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #6,572 of 23,482
Please get back on-topic. This discusion (has been had many times, and) belongs in the sound-science sub-forum.

Let's get back to discussing the fantastic (and seemingly timeless) HD600!

Sounds good to me. If anyone wants to contribute money to a cable maker, have fun, you have been informed.

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #6,573 of 23,482
Reminds me of Coconut-Audio.com's slogan "To get the best sound, you should spend at least 95% of your entire system on our cables, 4% on our tweaks, and 1% on electronics"

Sadly I make my money on cables (sales job @ electronics store), some of the employees get so caught up in their lies about monster cable that they actually start to believe it themselves.

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #6,575 of 23,482
Thanks allot to all of you for the help on my search for a second pair of headphones. A special thanks goes to Brooko who did a very good analysis between the Beyers DT880 and the Senn HD600. Because all of your help, I will be ordering the HD600s from Amazon very soon. I just sold my trailer home, so as soon as the check clears I will use part of it to buy the phones. 

Look at what this addiction is doing to me! :wink:

Bob Graham

Feb 20, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #6,576 of 23,482
HD600's arrived, listening to them,

Magical
beyersmile.png

Now I am Official member of HD600 club
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #6,578 of 23,482
There is no need to fret about cables or anything else with the 600's. They sound absolutely superb to me. Stock and straight out of the box. I continue to be amazed that such quality is available for relatively little money. Best audio purchase I ever made. :)

Feb 20, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #6,579 of 23,482
  I will be ordering the HD600s from Amazon very soon. 

Look at what this addiction is doing to me! :wink:

http://www.razordogaudio.com/collections/frontpage/products/sennheiser-hd-600-audiophile-headphones-hd600
Make sure you check back at razor Dog to see if you can use the $100 coupon for your cans when they are back in stock.

Feb 20, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #6,580 of 23,482
  Maybe you can call them and work out ordering it in advance and get that $100 rebate. There has to be a good reason why their sold out, especially when a $100 rebate is offered,

what StanD is talking about is this site.

http://www.razordogaudio.com  $50 and $100 instant rebates on items over $249!

But there is more to the story than this. When you go to the site it tells you the Sennheiser HD 600s are out of stock. Also else where on the site it tells you Sennheiser is excluded from the hundred dollar rebate. But there is a parentheses next to the HD 600s which says ($100). When you call to arrange a preorder and ask if the parentheses means you could get the $100 the man tells you Sennheiser will not let him give the full hundred dollars but for Head-Fi members he will give $80 Sennheiser allows him to do that.

Consequently I have one on preorder for the preorder price of $319.95.

Feb 20, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #6,581 of 23,482
  Gotta partially disagree here.

changing cables isn't going to fix your headphones if they don't sound good.  I agree.  But saying that cables make no difference just isn't true.  Some cables do indeed change the sound.  now, weather its better or not is up to the listener.

I used to be in the "cables are BS" camp as well, until I got a chance to do some back to back comparisons with the cables I mentioned above.  Having said that, i'd never spend big bucks on a boutique cable.  Just something solid, that looks nice, and is made with quality materials at a fair price is a good buy.  But always see if you can return it.  placebo is real as well.

That is why we have double blind tests. Careful testing always, and I mean ALWAYS, shows cables do not affect the sound so long as they are well designed and appropriate to their use. Really long, super thin cables can have a minor audible effect. Pretty much the same goes for amps unless they are actually designed to sound different and that means not flat or more distortion.

Tim

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #6,582 of 23,482
I'm hoping to audition some amps for my 600's soon. I don't know how I am going to be objective during a short listen. Expectation and placebo play such a huge part IMHO.

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #6,583 of 23,482
  I'm hoping to audition some amps for my 600's soon. I don't know how I am going to be objective during a short listen. Expectation and placebo play such a huge part IMHO.

What do you plan to use with the HD600? I just got myself a WA6 for my own HD600. I really enjoy the overall warmer sound when compared to the Vali. However I still prefer the Vali for several tracks. 

Feb 20, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #6,585 of 23,482
  what StanD is talking about is this site.

http://www.razordogaudio.com  $50 and $100 instant rebates on items over $249!

But there is more to the story than this. When you go to the site it tells you the Sennheiser HD 600s are out of stock. Also else where on the site it tells you Sennheiser is excluded from the hundred dollar rebate. But there is a parentheses next to the HD 600s which says ($100). When you call to arrange a preorder and ask if the parentheses means you could get the $100 the man tells you Sennheiser will not let him give the full hundred dollars but for Head-Fi members he will give $80 Sennheiser allows him to do that.

Consequently I have one on preorder for the preorder price of $319.95.

When I bought my HD600's a couple of years ago, Brian (Razordog) was still selling on eBay only (he did not have a website). Brian (and the other main Sennheiser sellers) routinely sold the HD600 for under $300. I bought mine from Amazon.com for $260 - new, retail, authorized seller. Sennheiser subsequently cracked down on this and we are where we are now. A few "creative" resellers have come up with ways to sell them for less, but it's not common. For example, one reseller holds a periodic sale where you can purchase $100 "gift cards" for $75 - no limit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back