Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Feb 19, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #6,556 of 23,499

I have an HD650 cable and a multi-meter.  If you tell me what you want to measure, I can have a go.  I'm not an EE - so you may need to explain it in layman's terms.  PM me if you want.

BTW - if anyone curious - I bought the HD600 second hand and it cane with the HD650 cable.  I made my own cables for my SR325i, K702, and DT880 - all for aesthetic reasons.  I noticed no change in sonics.

Brooko you must be the other me living somewhere else than Sydney. Midfi collection check, tube amp and a NFB combo check, recabled everything for aesthetic reasons check...

Feb 19, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #6,557 of 23,499

Brooko you must be the other me living somewhere else than Sydney. Midfi collection check, tube amp and a NFB combo check, recabled everything for aesthetic reasons check...

An Aussie and Kiwi, brothers in kit. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #6,558 of 23,499

I'm hearing you mate :)

Reminds me - next job is to turn my Beyer back into a removable and more user-friendly cable (min-xlr socket).  A little fiddly - but keeps me in practise.

Feb 20, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #6,559 of 23,499
  You might as well give your money to a homeless person, at least it would be doing something useful. 
biggrin.gif

Other than construction, aesthetics or length there is nothing to it. As far as I'm concerned, unless there is something drastically wrong with the stock cable, soundwise there will be no improvement. If your cans don't sound right, no cable on earth is going to fix that, get another set of cans that sound right.
I think I have a new saying.
"An Audiophile and his money are soon parted." This is best for meaningful upgrades, not for cables due to some expected sonic improvement.
Of course you are free to do whatever pleases you.

Gotta partially disagree here.

changing cables isn't going to fix your headphones if they don't sound good.  I agree.  But saying that cables make no difference just isn't true.  Some cables do indeed change the sound.  now, weather its better or not is up to the listener.

I used to be in the "cables are BS" camp as well, until I got a chance to do some back to back comparisons with the cables I mentioned above.  Having said that, i'd never spend big bucks on a boutique cable.  Just something solid, that looks nice, and is made with quality materials at a fair price is a good buy.  But always see if you can return it.  placebo is real as well.

Feb 20, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #6,560 of 23,499
  I disagree...I ascertained it's the cable that makes the HD650 darker than the HD600. There I said it!
If you have the HD600 and want a pair of HD650, you can save $480 if you just buy the cable. 
I can't wait until next week when my new cable arrives and I show off my marbled HD650! 
biggrin.gif

not true.  I have the 600 with the 650 cable, and it still sounds better then the 650.  well maybe not better, but, it sounds like a 600, not a 650.

Feb 20, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #6,561 of 23,499
  changing cables isn't going to fix your headphones if they don't sound good.  I agree.  But saying that cables make no difference just isn't true.  Some cables do indeed change the sound.  now, weather its better or not is up to the listener.

Bad (I mean really bad) cables change the sound. Minimally decent cables - don't.

Feb 20, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #6,563 of 23,499
Quote:Madwolfa
 Bad (I mean really bad) cables change the sound. Minimally decent cables - don't.

Wrong.  The biggesr problem with cables is twofold.
1. Some people haven't the aural acuity to hear the difference in cables.
2. Some people haven't trained themselves to hear differences.

And, of course theres those who are in both 1, and 2.

Please don't call out those who can tell the difference in cables if you can't.

That's like telling Usain Bolt he can't run the 100 metres in under 10 seconds because you can't do it.

There is also the fact that your system is not resolving enough to show the difference.

Feb 20, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #6,564 of 23,499
  Please don't call out those who can tell the difference in cables if you can't.
There is also the fact that your system is not resolving enough to show the difference.

Well, I give up right here.

Feb 20, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #6,565 of 23,499
  That's like telling Usain Bolt he can't run the 100 metres in under 10 seconds because you can't do it.

Except Bolt's records are precisely measured and registered.

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #6,566 of 23,499
Keep that "better cable" nonsense in the subforum for that.

As long as your cable is shielded correctly has decent connections it will sound the same.

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #6,567 of 23,499
Ok I have a nice little DIY silver cable and it sounds good but compared to the stock cable there's not much of a difference, they sound a bit more clear but that's about it. So I was wanting to know if Cardas cables make much of a difference compared to the stock ones. For $200 I could get other things but if it makes the 600's sound clearer and cleaner I'd be happy to buy one.

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #6,570 of 23,499
I wonder how the 600 will compare to the new Hifiman orthos coming out. The he400 was supposed to equate to the 600 in price and performance, but fell short IMHO. The 600 is just so good, but I'd love for it to have that ortho bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back