Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Feb 1, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #6,005 of 23,499
...and you can always consider getting a tasty, flavorful DAC to compliment your O2...

I think getting a transparent dac is better because it provides a platform to have the best if both worlds. He can then have the O2 for a clear window into the recording and also have a tube amp to tube roll with until finding his flavour of distortion .

Feb 1, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #6,006 of 23,499
  Just pulled the trigger on a pair of HD600's from the classifieds! Pretty excited.

I have a question for you guys. I already have a pair of DT770's and an Objective2 amp. Will the O2 run the HD600's nicely, or should I invest in a new amp as well?  Regardless, I am going to get a DAC since I will be listening from my PC.

The HD600's are not that hard to drive. Some people would make you think that it needs all sorts of fancy amps, but the HD600's are not as finicky as some make them out to be. An amp has be be able to make enough voltage at 300 Ohms and be clean, the HD600's are pretty sensitive and don't need as much juice as the HD650's or HD800's. Why not give it a go and see how you like it. Which impedance is your DT770's?

Feb 1, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #6,007 of 23,499
I would get the odac and then you have a 'control' as it was . Anything you do after that is giving you the change to suit your taste and mood. I personally have only got solid state because I am anal about accuracy, I will however be getting a BH crack at some point because I want to have a different sound for a change now and again and it will be fun to build .

Feb 1, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #6,008 of 23,499
I think getting a transparent dac is better because it provides a platform to have the best if both worlds. He can then have the O2 for a clear window into the recording and also have a tube amp to tube roll with until finding his flavour of distortion .

Yeah but you bought the 650s so we can't really trust what you say! 
biggrin.gif

Actually what you say makes sense if one wants more than one amp.
I always thought a tube DAC and the O2 would be a fun combo or that if I had a tube DAC, I'd want a transparent amp.
I have tube amps but still prefer 'musical' NOS DACs...so what do I know...

Feb 1, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #6,009 of 23,499
  The HD600's are not that hard to drive. Some people would make you think that it needs all sorts of fancy amps, but the HD600's are not as finicky as some make them out to be. An amp has be be able to make enough voltage at 300 Ohms and be clean, the HD600's are pretty sensitive and don't need as much juice as the HD650's or HD800's. Why not give it a go and see how you like it. Which impedance is your DT770's?

Thanks! The 80 ohm version.

Feb 1, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #6,010 of 23,499
Been playing the HD 600 on the Magni/Modi for the last couple of hours (as opposed to my Lyr/Bifrost) and I feel fairly confident in saying this. You could buy an HD 600, a Magni, and a Modi and not ever need anything else. This could potentially be end-game material for a large majority of people.

Feb 1, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #6,012 of 23,499
Yeah but you bought the 650s so we can't really trust what you say! :D
Actually what you say makes sense if one wants more than one amp.
I always thought a tube DAC and the O2 would be a fun combo or that if I had a tube DAC, I'd want a transparent amp.
I have tube amps but still prefer 'musical' NOS DACs...so what do I know...
Either way works really but my logic is that the source should always be transparent , it doesn't really matter as long as the end result is the same. Oh and I have the HD800s that's why i didn't want the 600s . I needed some warmth in my locker :wink:

Feb 1, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #6,013 of 23,499
Feb 1, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #6,014 of 23,499
LOL, I'm now enjoying some loud thrash metal on my HD600s... and before that some dubstep. And before some jazz and classic rock.
Love versatility!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back