Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Sep 19, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #4,261 of 23,501

This isn't the forum for going into a lot of detail, but basically, when most people say "balanced" they are really talking about a "bridged" amp. That's two amps in one chasis - one for each channel. In theory, a bridged amp is better because your splitting the "work" between two amps. The reality is that one amp properly designed and sufficiently powerful to drive a pair of headphones will not be working hard at all so there is no need for "two amps" in one box. If a person states that the balanced output sounds better than the unbalanced output, I bet the comparison was not performed with precise volume matching or blind conditions - two requirements for accurate comparison.

Balanced is simply a wiring method to reduce noise/hum in long cable runs. Not a factor in home audio.

Unless you have heard it, you shouldnt assume a result.  You are correct that this is not the forum for a lot of detail.  Those wondering about balanced setups should do some research on how it actually works.  There is actually a decent write up on Wikipedia.  It is more then just splitting a signal.  There is phase inversion, separate ground, etc.. 

When I listened to the eddie current example which has both SE and Balanced out, the difference was obvious. I have done similar comparisons with cans like the aka 701.  if you can do a side by side, the difference is easily heard.

ok, so the hd600.. is awesome.  

Sep 19, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #4,262 of 23,501

Thank you :) 

And you're not the only one who is confused about my comments.... And I wrote them! 

I think I mean that.. The soundstage is the same form - in relation to width and height only on a slightly smaller scale. Yup 'scale' is the word we're looking for here. 

LCD2's have a narrow one... K701's have a wide pillar box one... etc. But the Senn's have a perfect round bubble of a soundstage. Only the HD800's have a bigger bubble.

Got it?
bigsmile_face.gif

Yes that makes sense. The soundstage are the same shape and proportions, but scaled to a different size.

This isn't the forum for going into a lot of detail, but basically, when most people say "balanced" they are really talking about a "bridged" amp. That's two amps in one chasis - one for each channel. In theory, a bridged amp is better because your splitting the "work" between two amps. The reality is that one amp properly designed and sufficiently powerful to drive a pair of headphones will not be working hard at all so there is no need for "two amps" in one box. If a person states that the balanced output sounds better than the unbalanced output, I bet the comparison was not performed with precise volume matching or blind conditions - two requirements for accurate comparison.

Balanced is simply a wiring method to reduce noise/hum in long cable runs. Not a factor in home audio.

With balanced wiring the two channels are truly separated and independent. With single ended the two channels share a common ground, which opens up the possibility of crosstalk/contamination.

Sep 19, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #4,265 of 23,501
What HP cable do you guys like with the 600?  I found the silver dragon to be too bright at one listening session.  the original 600 cable is just so flimsy, I'd like to change it out.

Sep 19, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #4,266 of 23,501
Thanks for the replies guys. I was confusing XLR to 1/4" adapters with 1/4" to XLR adapters. That makes more sense now.

I'd love to hear more people's insight on balanced setups. I know this is the HD600 thread but that's the main reason I want to know, because it would be pretty easy to balance my HD600 and I'm wondering if its something I should consider.

Sep 19, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #4,268 of 23,501
  Thanks for the replies guys. I was confusing XLR to 1/4" adapters with 1/4" to XLR adapters. That makes more sense now.

I'd love to hear more people's insight on balanced setups. I know this is the HD600 thread but that's the main reason I want to know, because it would be pretty easy to balance my HD600 and I'm wondering if its something I should consider.

weather you go balanced or not depends on your amp.  the top couple of amps for the 600 are not balanced.  crack and woo.  Personally, I wouldnt bother. But, since your in the zone, You would do better using the search engine looking for sennheiser 600 amps.  look in the hd800 threads as well.

Sep 19, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #4,269 of 23,501
I've been into vintage amps for a little while now and find them to be very good value compared to HP amps up to the mid price mark. But only for certain hp's. The Senn's imo definitely benefit from all the power and high impedance. Especially if any of you folk like a full sounding bottom end. 

Also, there is always a set of tone controls with in hands reach with these amps. I'm always pleased when I don't need to use them and with the 600's there is no need at all. In fact when I was playing around with the tones I noticed that the sound really deteriorated. Some hp's are equalizer friendly while others aren't. The HD600 come under the latter category.

Such a well balanced presentation. I was also not expecting them to be as detailed as they are. I haven't owned the 650's for a couple of year now but detail was never their strongest point from memory. It may be my different equipment or it may be that the 600 are more cleaner sounding, not sure.

I'm really liking the treble, playing some classical and the extension is perfect. Rolling off at just the right place so brass never gets annoying. In fact these are just great with classical. Timbre is a very strong attribute of these. Acoustic Jazz is very believable. 

Anyways... I could go on but I'm starting bore myself :D

I'm just going to sit back with my glass of cold beer and appreciate Britten's violin concerto with my new toy. 

beerchug.gif

Sep 19, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #4,270 of 23,501

Thats the sennheiser veil animation.  wrong sarcasm lol.. 

It's the "beating the dead Sennheiser veil horse" emoticon. Most people these days use it just for the "beating a dead horse" part 
smily_headphones1.gif

What HP cable do you guys like with the 600?  I found the silver dragon to be too bright at one listening session.  the original 600 cable is just so flimsy, I'd like to change it out.

I have the HD650 stock cable. It's thicker than the HD600 stock cable but still cheap if you don't need a fancy exotic cable.

Sep 19, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #4,271 of 23,501
  It's the "beating the dead Sennheiser veil horse" emoticon. Most people these days use it just for the "beating a dead horse" part 
smily_headphones1.gif

I have the HD650 stock cable. It's thicker than the HD600 stock cable but still cheap if you don't need a fancy exotic cable.

Cool.  thats what I was thinking.  that 600 cable is just so flimsy.  surprising for such a great can.

Sep 19, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #4,272 of 23,501
Quote:
smily_headphones1.gif

How much does a stock HD 650 cable cost?

Sep 19, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #4,274 of 23,501

Cool.  thats what I was thinking.  that 600 cable is just so flimsy.  surprising for such a great can.

Yeah it is but I can't believe how many times I've stepped or sat on mine and yanked it out of the hp or amp.  I'm a spaz with my cable.  It's still working but I'd like to get a beefier one like the 650 or some custom one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back