Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Sep 20, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #4,291 of 23,501

In my experience , HD598 is not in the same league than HD600/650/800 . Very enjoyable headphone I often advice but far more mid-fi IMO . 

Thanks my friend, I trust your opinion on this.   

I got the HD558 for a friend and I had a few hours with it. Its not the 598 but its supposedly pretty close. I agree, it was good but wasn't quite up to the level of the HD600 which continues to surprise me in new ways from time to time even after more than a year of heavy use. The sound signatures are very similar between these. The 558s definitely had HD600-style forward mids. I really liked them and was pretty impressed especially for the price I paid ($115 refurbed).

Thank you :) They do look very similar there

I'm also being very surprised by the 600's! Been going through some old faves tonight (as you do when you have a new toy) and they really do play well with all types of music. I have very eclectic tastes and this hp is ideal for variety! 

Sep 20, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #4,292 of 23,501

I'm also being very surprised by the 600's! Been going through some old faves tonight (as you do when you have a new toy) and they really do play well with all types of music. I have very eclectic tastes and this hp is ideal for variety! 

Agreed! 
beerchug.gif

Sep 20, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #4,293 of 23,501
Agreed too. I didn't find anything that sounded bad on my HD580.  It's not the same story with my HD800. Even my Ultrasone is more forgiving. 

Sep 20, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #4,294 of 23,501
  Agreed too. I didn't find anything that sounded bad on my HD580.  It's not the same story with my HD800. Even my Ultrasone is more forgiving. 

Interesting. I just got the PRO 900, have you heard it by chance? I'd love to hear a comparison between it and the Signature Pros.

Sep 20, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #4,295 of 23,501
I've only heard pro900 a few minutes. So comparing it to my Signature pro would be a bit difficult.  The easiest thing to say is Sig pro is far more close to neutrality with better mids and less trebles and bass.  I'm really fond of my Signature pro :)  I compared recently to an ed8 and although ed8 seems to be a better headphones (more precise and refined although more V-shaped)  the Signature pro is still my favourite with a kind of visceral sound no other cans brought to me until now . 

Sep 20, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #4,296 of 23,501
  I've only heard pro900 a few minutes. So comparing it to my Signature pro would be a bit difficult.  The easiest thing to say is Sig pro is far more close to neutrality with better mids and less trebles and bass.  I'm really fond of my Signature pro :)  I compared recently to an ed8 and although ed8 seems to be a better headphones (more precise and refined although more V-shaped)  the Signature pro is still my favourite with a kind of visceral sound no other cans brought to me until now . 

Cool. Thanks! I'd love to tryout the Sig Pros, hopefully I'll get a chance.

Sep 20, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #4,297 of 23,501
HD650 cable will change the sound of HD600? Or is there any recommended cable to do the cable mod?

Sep 20, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #4,298 of 23,501
  If you don't mind my asking, you have all of the top Senn's apart from the 598's? Have you not tried them, or do you not like them?

I have 700 and 800, also.  I do like them.  A lot.  But sometimes I don't want analytical, I want musical.  The 700 is a good blend between the two, but errs on the analytical side so I often find the 600 on my head.  Quite a lot actually.  I put it on, and I hear music without thinking about it.  A good place to be.
  HD650 cable will change the sound of HD600? Or is there any recommended cable to do the cable mod?

650 cable sounds the same as 600 cable in my opinion.

Sep 21, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #4,299 of 23,501

Don't break your F5 key tracking your amp.  
biggrin.gif

Oh lawd. I haven't even got a tracking number yet and am religiously checking my email to await a tracking number. And when I'm not checking my email, I'm thinking about checking my email. This is gonna be a loooong wait haha 3-4 days for build time and then another 5-10 for shipping

Sep 21, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #4,300 of 23,501

I would recommend cardas. which one..i dont know.. pid like 300USD for it
  i has this audio shop imported it from us but covered the logos to avoid tax..
  i dont really give a care..what important to me ..it sounds the way i want

Why?

okay.. i  got myself he500 with alo cable ..Well hd600 with cardas  able to move me more ..
  then now...i got myself hd800 as i was thinking my hd600 being pampered too much.
  okay it is still using  the stock cable..Well hd600 with cardas able to move me more.
  i am not saying he500 & hd800 are ok headphones . HE 500 is sweet to me .
  hd800 is extremely impressive.. but i love my hd600 more ..its mids --end game to me
  it is the only headphone that i am able to follow the emotion in a music regardless it is a voice or instrument up till i can tears in my eyes
  My equipments i think good enough to drive all the headphones to really sing

My new path is listening to music still remain the same - the music must be believable enough to touch my soul
  No more 3d , huge soundstage , huge depth, silent background or whatever people use to describe music in their rig
  what is important to me.. it me and the music..nothing else it between
  i dont want to be amazed by music, i want to be spellbounded by it ..period..
  i want the magical window to be open at all times..

if  people ask me what  one word that could  describe those cans

he500 --fun
 hd800-impressive
 hd600-emotion

Sep 21, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #4,301 of 23,501
To respond to a few points:

1. The HD598s are NOT on the same level as the HD580/600/650/700/800. They are definitely more mid-level. Again, the Sennheiser numbering scheme doesn't really make sense.

2. In my experience, the HD600 and HD650 cables sounded the same.

3. The Ultrasone Pro 900s gave me headaches. Big bass, but it bled all over everything. The Pro 2900s are the open-backed version of the Pro 900s. They are much, much better, but still clearly not neutral. The Signature Pros are some of the most impressive headphones I've ever heard. They get very, very, VERY close to HD800 performance, but in a closed-back can, which I never thought would be possible. They lack the bloated bass, head-clamping and artificiality of the rest of the Ultrasone line. The Sig. Pros are extremely comfortable and very neutral. An amazing technical feat to get so close to HD800s in closed-back cans. The Signature DJs are also very nice, but definitely have big, non-neutral bass. They are actually kind of reminiscent of the V-Moda M100s.

4. The Bendix 6080s with graphite plates are great tubes.

Sep 21, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #4,302 of 23,501

I would recommend cardas. which one..i dont know.. pid like 300USD for it
  i has this audio shop imported it from us but covered the logos to avoid tax..
  i dont really give a care..what important to me ..it sounds the way i want

Why?

okay.. i  got myself he500 with alo cable ..Well hd600 with cardas  able to move me more ..
  then now...i got myself hd800 as i was thinking my hd600 being pampered too much.
  okay it is still using  the stock cable..Well hd600 with cardas able to move me more.
  i am not saying he500 & hd800 are ok headphones . HE 500 is sweet to me .
  hd800 is extremely impressive.. but i love my hd600 more ..its mids --end game to me
  it is the only headphone that i am able to follow the emotion in a music regardless it is a voice or instrument up till i can tears in my eyes
  My equipments i think good enough to drive all the headphones to really sing

My new path is listening to music still remain the same - the music must be believable enough to touch my soul
  No more 3d , huge soundstage , huge depth, silent background or whatever people use to describe music in their rig
  what is important to me.. it me and the music..nothing else it between
  i dont want to be amazed by music, i want to be spellbounded by it ..period..
  i want the magical window to be open at all times..

if  people ask me what  one word that could  describe those cans

he500 --fun
 hd800-impressive
 hd600-emotion

Great impressions. Yeah the musicality of the 600's is really something

To respond to a few points:

1. The HD598s are NOT on the same level as the HD580/600/650/700/800. They are definitely more mid-level. Again, the Sennheiser numbering scheme doesn't really make sense.

Thanks for that :) Its been crossed off my list now.

Sep 21, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #4,303 of 23,501
And after rereading LugBug1's question I see he was asking if I had/heard the 598?  I have the 595 and don't want anything else in the 5 series (except the 500).  I've heard the 598 at a meet.  Not good enough enough to warrant the purchase.  But that's not to say I won't ever buy them cause I'm goofy like that.

Sep 21, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #4,304 of 23,501
I gave the HD598 a listen at a local Best Buy using my portable setup a couple of weeks ago. Here are my impressions compared to the SRH840:

- To me it has some upper end emphasis which makes it sound fun but becomes a bit too sharp on the top end
- Bass is tight yet punchy, but definitely not the selling point of the cans - they're pushed a bit back in the mix
- Mids and vocals are good, but not buttery smooth like the Shures; still enjoyable though
- Soundstage is great, as is the handling of more complicated passages in music (metal, rock, electronic)

Sep 21, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #4,305 of 23,501
^^ good stuff. Yeah I had the 595's before I got the 650's. They were my first serious headphone... Had them plugged into a Creek OBH21 with Vdac. *Fond memories* :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back