Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Aug 12, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #3,842 of 23,482
Quote:
During the time that I owned my HD600, i found the paint and build quality to be very good. In this regard, I believe they are superior the the HD800.

I've had that same experience with the build; very solid, I never feel like I have to baby them.  My only feature request is pads that don't flatten so-quickly 
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #3,843 of 23,482
really? my HD800's are very well made. maybe you got a counterfeit? -- there was some guy posting that his vinyl was cracking on his 800's.  the 800's are more like a mercedes than the beemer 320 hd600's -- so, what's happening with yours? are they falling apart?

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #3,844 of 23,482
I don't know about superior in build quality, but the HD600 earpads are easily replaceable whereas the HD800 ones are not. That's a definitely knock against a $1500 headphone.  
And mikebauer, while I agree with many of the things you say, I'm not sure that I would call the HD600 bright. The HD800, maybe. For a neutral, accurate headphone, the HD600 is pretty relaxing, though not as relaxing as the HD650.

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #3,845 of 23,482
I might be mistaken, but I think that the 800's silver paint is prone to chipping.  I remember that Jude recommended using a silver Sharpie to fix the issue at the LA Headfi meet.
Quote:
really? my HD800's are very well made. maybe you got a counterfeit? -- there was some guy posting that his vinyl was cracking on his 800's.  the 800's are more like a mercedes than the beemer 320 hd600's -- so, what's happening with yours? are they falling apart?

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #3,846 of 23,482
^I didn't know silver Sharpies existed.  

Hey, don't knock Bimmer lol. Comparing brands isn't fair - a 7 series is way more solid than a B-class. A better comparison might be S-class to C-class, or 7 series to 3 series.

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #3,847 of 23,482
Yes, a number of people on the HD800 thread have complained of paint chipping. I haven't had it happen to mine yet, but I am extra careful with them because of these comments.

I also agree that the HD600 is not bright. Not dim either. Its just right.

Aug 12, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #3,849 of 23,482
Quote:
I might be mistaken, but I think that the 800's silver paint is prone to chipping.  I remember that Jude recommended using a silver Sharpie to fix the issue at the LA Headfi meet.

As much as I'd like to say I was the clever one who came up with that, it wasn't me. The first mention I've found of the silver Sharpie for the HD 800 is here (by DucatiMatt):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/426508/sennheiser-hd800-appreciation-thread/3240#post_8271673

(By the way, dsound, thank you again for the glass at the meet! I'll PM you separately about that.)

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #3,850 of 23,482
You are very welcome, glad you like the glass!
Quote:

As much as I'd like to say I was the clever one who came up with that, it wasn't me. The first mention I've found of the silver Sharpie for the HD 800 is here (by DucatiMatt):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/426508/sennheiser-hd800-appreciation-thread/3240#post_8271673

(By the way, dsound, thank you again for the glass at the meet! I'll PM you separately about that.)

Aug 14, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #3,851 of 23,482
Glass?

When I first heard the HD600 I was quite surprised at the treble extension and bass quantity, both of which are definitely sufficient. With all this talk of the "veil" I was expecting something a little on the dark side, but nope. There's just no big hump at 10k. And the bass really punches when the track calls for it, even though it's not the fastest bass I've heard.

Does anyone know if there's such thing as fake HD600s? Google didn't pull anything conclusive.

And Sharpie makes an "industrial" marker as well, though only in black. Does anyone know if it's more or less durable than the paint markers?

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #3,852 of 23,482
using foobar2000 in the configuration for output there is a "wasapi: speakers: event: odac" and a "wasapi: speakers: push: odac"
is there any difference between them, i noticed a slight difference when i changed the output from default to the wasapi:xf_eek:dac but it's hard to tell between the event/push.

Aug 15, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #3,853 of 23,482
Quote:
using foobar2000 in the configuration for output there is a "wasapi: speakers: event: odac" and a "wasapi: speakers: push: odac"
is there any difference between them, i noticed a slight difference when i changed the output from default to the wasapi:xf_eek:dac but it's hard to tell between the event/push.

Found this on Jriver site

WASAPI output mode pushes data from Media Center to the sound device. It works with nearly all hardware.

WASAPI Event Style lets a sound device pull data from Media Center. This method is not supported by all hardware, but is recommended when supported.

This has several advantages:

1. It lets the audio subsystem pull data (when events are set) instead of pushing data to the system. This allows lower latency buffer sizes, and removes an unreliable Microsoft layer documented below.
  1. It creates, uses, and destroys all WASAPI interfaces from a single thread.
  1. The hardware (or WASAPI interface) never sees any pause or flush calls. Instead, on pause or flush, silence is delivered in the pull loop. This removes the need for hacks for cards that circle their buffers on pause, flush, etc. (ATI HDMI, etc.).
  1. It allows for a more direct data path to the driver / hardware.
  1. The main 'pull loop' uses a lock-free circle buffer (a system that J. River built for ASIO), so that fullfilling a pull request is as fast as possible.

...Then again, if you can't hear a difference, it doesn't matter.

Aug 15, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #3,854 of 23,482
Quote:
Found this on Jriver site

WASAPI output mode pushes data from Media Center to the sound device. It works with nearly all hardware.

WASAPI Event Style lets a sound device pull data from Media Center. This method is not supported by all hardware, but is recommended when supported.

This has several advantages:

1. It lets the audio subsystem pull data (when events are set) instead of pushing data to the system. This allows lower latency buffer sizes, and removes an unreliable Microsoft layer documented below.
  1. It creates, uses, and destroys all WASAPI interfaces from a single thread.
  1. The hardware (or WASAPI interface) never sees any pause or flush calls. Instead, on pause or flush, silence is delivered in the pull loop. This removes the need for hacks for cards that circle their buffers on pause, flush, etc. (ATI HDMI, etc.).
  1. It allows for a more direct data path to the driver / hardware.
  1. The main 'pull loop' uses a lock-free circle buffer (a system that J. River built for ASIO), so that fullfilling a pull request is as fast as possible.

...Then again, if you can't hear a difference, it doesn't matter.

thanks, it felt like there was a slight, slight difference as if you enabled a preset eq that shifted things a tiny bit but nothing that i could pick out in a blind test or anything.

Aug 15, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #3,855 of 23,482
Guys, I said goodbye to some old friends today.

Thinking of you, 580's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back