Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Aug 10, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #3,812 of 23,472
Quote:
Oh I see. I'm a one amp kind of guy
smily_headphones1.gif

hehe.. i couldn't decide! so i just figured 2 would solve the problem.. it was either 1 expensive set up (expensive for me) or two decent ones... happy with the choice as it will give me an introduction to both worlds. tube/solidstate.
not sure which tube i'll go with though, if i can afford a crack + speedball prebult (or perhaps without the speedball if i can't find it) i'll probably go with that.. if not that maybe a darkvoice 336se

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #3,813 of 23,472
You don't really want an amp to have a sound of its own because when an amp lets through "whatever the song is" as you say, it's much more versatile and can be paired with any headphone. Let the DAC and amp be transparent, and let the headphones and/or source EQ colour the sound in the way you want.

Heck I agree with this!!! I like my sources neutral and let my phones dictate the musical mood of what I'm listening to or mood of the moment.

Like someone else said said in this thread, I'm more a music lover than an audiophile and listen to music on headphones on the go rather than at home (I have a wonderful setup for that) so I've been eliminating add on amps and DACs from my setup and improving sources. It's a toss up between my DX100 and RWAK100 which I like better but both drive all my phones and I have no intention of tacking on more source gear that just colours the sound in ways the musicians never intended. That seems a waste of money to me.

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #3,814 of 23,472
Quote:
Heck I agree with this!!! I like my sources neutral and let my phones dictate the musical mood of what I'm listening to or mood of the moment.

Like someone else said said in this thread, I'm more a music lover than an audiophile and listen to music on headphones on the go rather than at home (I have a wonderful setup for that) so I've been eliminating add on amps and DACs from my setup and improving sources. It's a toss up between my DX100 and RWAK100 which I like better but both drive all my phones and I have no intention of tacking on more source gear that just colours the sound in ways the musicians never intended. That seems a waste of money to me.

that's a great point in switching headphones!
that's what i would do but i simply had the most difficult time in choosing an amp/dac.. but yeah that does make alot more sense to go with different headphones for a coloring of sound and to switch things up.

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #3,815 of 23,472
Quote:
Is there anyone here willing to part with their HD600 for "student pricing"?

My apartment got broken into, and they stole my HD600 and Asgard..among other things. I bought a vintage receiver on ebay for $27 as a replacement amp, now I just need to replace the HD600.

Send me a PM if so 
smily_headphones1.gif

that really stinks about your gear.  i'll send you a message if i get a line on one.

Aug 11, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #3,816 of 23,472
Quote:
Is there anyone here willing to part with their HD600 for "student pricing"?

My apartment got broken into, and they stole my HD600 and Asgard..among other things. I bought a vintage receiver on ebay for $27 as a replacement amp, now I just need to replace the HD600.

Send me a PM if so 
smily_headphones1.gif

oh dear.. too bad the burglar got good tastes 
blink.gif

Aug 11, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #3,820 of 23,472
Quote:
My friend, burn in with usage, never before usage. 

Exactly. Leaving headphones "burning in" when you could be listening to them is silly IMO. Just use them. If burn-in exists it will happen but its not more important than just enjoying your new headphones.

I noticed a change with the HD600 only within the first couple of hours. It could be I was just getting used to the sound. They haven't changed since.

Aug 11, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #3,821 of 23,472
Quote:

Exactly. Leaving headphones "burning in" when you could be listening to them is silly IMO. Just use them. If burn-in exists it will happen but its not more important than just enjoying your new headphones.

I noticed a change with the HD600 only within the first couple of hours. It could be I was just getting used to the sound. They haven't changed since.

Alright thanks for the advice!

Aug 11, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #3,822 of 23,472
the sennheisers are for as color-free a sound space as you can get. a good system will feed only what's on the file to you, letting you hear whether the orchestra or quartet or singer has a brittle tone or not. the julliard quartet was noted for having had an impossibly snobbish and edged tone, and that's what you'll hear on their schuberts -- that tone. you can't fluffy that tone up with your amp or cables or pre-amp or headphones and tell us that that is how schubert should sound. we know that that sweet sound comes from the Busch quartet from the thirties, and just doesn't exist in itself in modern string quartets. we also know that some CD's and files are recorded with lamp cord wire and will never give more than a grace or akg sound in the first place. but, at least what i want is to hear that for myself, and not have it further masked into jelly-roll.

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #3,824 of 23,472
Thanks! : )

good point. i own the Tacaks' beethovens. they're beautiful. but, i wonder if you've heard the busch schubert recordings? it's from a time before virtuoso individual, where they seem to be discovering the sweetness of the music itself... seem to be wanting the music to be sweet and beautiful. and, thinking that, makes me think of the early Budapest Beethovens. when i was a teen, i thought the Budapest was too fuddy-duddy. i should re-listen to them.

i really appreciate that you're saying something about the source of all this interest we have in head phones. for sure, i'm trying to say that it's about what the composer wanted, and not what i think i wanted when i was 15. personally, i'd give up all my electronics and the salk vaccine, if i could go back to 1882, only hearing live acoustic and waiting for adolf busch to discover schubert. i think that music as an event was possibly always as intimate as a carter family recording session, and just as performer's personality dependent.

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #3,825 of 23,472
Thanks! : )

good point. i own the Tacaks' beethovens. they're beautiful. but, i wonder if you've heard the busch schubert recordings? it's from a time before virtuoso individual, where they seem to be discovering the sweetness of the music itself... seem to be wanting the music to be sweet and beautiful. and, thinking that, makes me think of the early Budapest Beethovens. when i was a teen, i thought the Budapest was too fuddy-duddy. i should re-listen to them.

i really appreciate that you're saying something about the source of all this interest we have in head phones. for sure, i'm trying to say that it's about what the composer wanted, and not what i think i wanted when i was 15. personally, i'd give up all my electronics and the salk vaccine, if i could go back to 1882, only hearing live acoustic and waiting for adolf busch to discover schubert. i think that music as an event was possibly always as intimate as a carter family recording session, and just as performer's personality dependent.

No, I haven't heard them. I'm sure they are wonderful though -as you say.

I think its easy to wax poetic about bygone times, but in reality, I think musicianship is as good now as it ever was. And recording technology is certainly superior!

Whenever you listen to a performance, live or recorded, you are hearing the conductors interpretation of the composers vision. Unless the composer himself is conducting. The next best thing is arguably a recording of a conductor who knew the composer. Berstein, Shostakovich, Walter, etc. -the great conductors performing the great composers. But there I go romanticising the past...

Ayways, I think if you look around, you'll find that today is as good as it ever was. Maybe not the "great composers" original vision, but certainly valid interpretations and/or thoughtful and/or original reinterpretations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back