Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jul 6, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #20,656 of 23,454
The HD800(s) is a completely different sounding headphone. Where the 600 is neutral the HD800 has a dip in the uppermids just before the big ooomph of treble energy. The HD820 is another animal altogether and is tuned way more like a DT770 (v-shaped) than a Sennheiser.
I don’t think there exist a better neutral headphone...yet if you want to try some of the supposed heirtakers to the 600, then I recommend the Focal Elex as well as the ZMF Auteur:)

Thanks. I just wanted to get a better headphone before getting a Hugo 2, since it's stupid to spend more on a DAC than headphones.

Jul 6, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #20,657 of 23,454
the HD600s are great but not perfect, otherwise HD800S and HD820 wouldn't exist.

I guess I should just skip to the $1000-$1500 domain? The HD800S exceeds my budget already, the HD820 is closed so I have no use for it, and the HD800 I heard has terrible highs. What's a good, flat, neutral open headphone for $1000-1500?

You are going about it the wrong way if you're guided by price. There is no better neutral open headphone at any price. No better headphone period, at any price IMHO and that of others. I heard many top tier headphones and owned a $3k one for nearly two years.

Jul 6, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #20,658 of 23,454
the HD600s are great but not perfect, otherwise HD800S and HD820 wouldn't exist.

I guess I should just skip to the $1000-$1500 domain? The HD800S exceeds my budget already, the HD820 is closed so I have no use for it, and the HD800 I heard has terrible highs. What's a good, flat, neutral open headphone for $1000-1500?

That is not the reason the 800/800S and HD 820 exist, as @Kammerat Rebekka said. I have the 600s and the 800s and the 800s are not more enjoyable for most music. They're a great pair of super analytical cans that do great for orchestral music, big bands, and when you need to hear detail.

Flat, neutral, open headphone for $1000-1500? A pair of HD 600s and a big OTL amp :)

Jul 6, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #20,659 of 23,454
Thanks. I just wanted to get a better headphone before getting a Hugo 2, since it's stupid to spend more on a DAC than headphones.
That’s the thing and what most of the previous page went on about: if you want a neutral headphone you simply can’t beat the 600. You can get better bass extension via fx an Elex but the mids and treble over the Focal is not anywhere near as smooth and realistic sounding as the old Sennheiser.
The term ‘better’ is literally meaningless in a hobby that relies on individual tastebuds. Trust me, when you’ve plowed through the first 80+ headphones and listened to thrice that at various meets, it dawns on one just how differently we hear headphones...and how different our preferences are:)

Regarding the Hugo2? Personally I think you should save your money, but then again I come from the ‘blindtest-camp’ and have honestly never come across anyone who could tell dacs apart if they couldn’t see what was playing..any dac.

Jul 6, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #20,661 of 23,454
I have the R70x's. How are the HD600's compared to it? Is it an upgrade or a samegrade? Also how is the HD600 compared to the HD700? Why is the HD700 the ugly middle child nobody wants?
I haven't heard the R70x, wish I could comment on that because there was a point I had wanted to try them. Audio Technica tends to have a different overall sound signature they go for compared to Sennheiser. It's in a pretty ideal price range at least compared to the HD600, very similar price tier. From the bits I read back then, I would assume it to be a sound signature sidegrade whichever way you go between the two headphones.

Honestly, the above statement about sound signature sidegrade feels about right for the HD600 vs HD700 comparison too as far as I'm concerned. I listened to an HD700 for a brief test period, but that was quite a long time ago so take my thoughts with a heap of salt. The comfort was nice in the sense of earcup space because I like the D-shape Sennheiser goes for on the HD700/800 series. Sound signature felt much more oriented for genres like pop and electronic, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just not what Senneheiser's reputation is built on. Then again, I felt like that's what they did with the Momentum series of headphones and IEMs, but everyone probably accepted that more because it wasn't part of the "prestigious HD series". Or rather, HD6+ series. Aside from the HD59x iterations, I felt like the modern HD5xx series of headphones are also more consumer sound signature oriented as well (in fact, I started my headphone journey on the HD558). It seems to me that the public opinion is that the HD6+ series of headphones should adhere more to Sennheiser's reputation of neutrality, accuracy, and classical sound since that's the point when everything starts costing more as well. For me, the biggest problem I always had with the HD700 was its price tier. It never felt to me like it cost $200 more than an HD600. The qualities you could compare regardless of sound signature just didn't justify the price hike. I'm quite happy with either sound signature and if it was a difference of $30-40, I would just say to pick the one that's more comfortable or fits your music better. But considering the massive price difference at the time, the HD600 was the right pick because it's just an overall better choice accounting for all the variables (so long as you aren't affected by the HD600's mid spike).

Jul 6, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #20,667 of 23,454
How come?

Subjectively the feeling of owning a new product is well worth the extra € 50 or € 100. Objectively, there is a VERY good chance the grills will have bends in them, the headband will be bent to someone else's liking, and who knows what else, even if they sound 100% OK. My advice, go new whenever it doesn't break the bank.

Jul 6, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #20,668 of 23,454

Focal Clear

Jul 6, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #20,669 of 23,454
I come from the ‘blindtest-camp’ and have honestly never come across anyone who could tell dacs apart if they couldn’t see what was playing..any dac.
Meet me. Meet my wife (who is not by any means an audiophile). Both of us can easily distinguish (in blind testing) between my outboard DAC (Marantz HD-DAC1), with the analog output going to my Denon receiver, and the DAC in that Denon x4400h AVR.

Jul 7, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #20,670 of 23,454
^Sorry if I don’t take your word for it. I’ve heard so many say these things beforehand only to realise that they don’t have a way to levelmatch the volumes properly.
‘Even my wife can hear it’
-never gets old:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back