Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jun 4, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #20,523 of 23,458
Textbook signs of HD 600s not getting enough quality power is that they sound thin and lifeless. It might have nothing to do with the quality of the iPhone DAC. It probably has more to do with the inability to drive the cans properly.

Jun 5, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #20,524 of 23,458
We've removed some of the off-topic discussion from the thread. Thank you to everyone who helped keep it on track.

For those who would like to debate amp differences in general, there are several active threads for that discussion. Let's please keep the conversation related to the HD 600 in this thread. Thanks everyone.

Jun 7, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #20,525 of 23,458
tldr: the hd600 sound too good on extreme volume levels, but not as good on low/medium levels, is this normal? Or does it mean I need only a dac, an amp, or both?

Sorry for dumping all this together, but here's my situation.
I bought an ancient used hd600, it sounds too warm compared to the ath-m40x (is it?).
I tried it with my lg v30, es100, and an alienware. As far as the sound volume goes, the alienware has like x1.50 the volume of the lg v30 (on the "highest" dac mod, I have it rooted), and the lg v30 has like another x1.50 on the es100.
I haven't tried comparing the sound quality much, but I slightly felt the v30 sounded better although I'd brush it off as placebo. I'm not experienced and wouldn't give a verdict unless I try much more.
What's important to me though, is how they sound a lot better with really high volume. Details fade out when they're on lower volume. I don't know how this effect compares to other headphones though. I might be getting this feeling only because the hd600 always get better with more volume, unlike all my other gear which reaches that state where loudness affects the mix and detail. Am I feeling this because I don't have a proper dac/amp? Which one of them would help with getting the same quality of high volume, only with less volume?

Also the es100 says it has analog volume control, instead of digital. I tried maxing out my digital pc volume and controlling from the es100, to keep the "sound waves/frequencies" proportions the same regardless of voulme (which is what I understood analog volume control does, from what es100 claims). can't tell if it's placebo or not as well. But eitherway, the hd600 still sound much better on higher volume.

Jun 7, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #20,526 of 23,458
Jun 7, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #20,527 of 23,458
^^I think you have gotten used to the Audio Technica which has got a good deal of extra energy in the treble compared to the 600. That effectively means that it will sound ‘clear/detailed/bright’ compared to the more balanced treble of the 600....also why so many folks talk about the infamous Sennheiser “veil”; they most likely come from headphones that have more energy in the upper regions such as Beyerdynamic, AKG or if you’d like to keep it within the Sennie-fold: the HD700 or the HD800(s).
Try listening to the Sennheiser for a bit more and see if your head suddenly finds the sound signature pleasing..if not then there are no amps or dacs that will change the signature for the brighter. What you can do is to remove the foam between the drivers and your ears which will yield a brighter sound. If that is not enough, then I’d probably look for a Beyerdynamic or AKG instead:)

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #20,528 of 23,458
Jun 7, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #20,529 of 23,458
Jun 8, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #20,530 of 23,458
To get the best out of HD600 with an amp, is it better to max out the source volume and control the music volume from the amp, or is it better to max out the amp volume and control music volume from the source?

If neither should be maxed out, which volume should be higher, the source or the amp?

It has nothing to do with the headphones. It is always correct and safer to max out digital sources and control volume at the amp. Analog sources will have a sweet spot near max volume.

Think about it. If you control the volume with the source and have the amp on max, you are not driving the amp as it was designed to be driven, and you are getting maximum distortion since the amp does not do its best full blast. And if you make a mistake and connect a source running line level you will blow your speakers or if you have headphones you will blow your brains and and blow your cans.

The way things are designed to work is that sources run at line level (0 dB) and volume is control at the integrated amp. No surprises, no equipment or brain damage, and best possible sound quality.

Jun 8, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #20,531 of 23,458
Thank you so much for this information. You've taught me something new. I'm a complete newbie to the audio quality world in search for my perfect sound. My knowledge is very basic at the moment.

I haven't tried many headphones, but I do know that the HD600 is a headphone I instantly fell in love with. Maybe my pool of comparison between different headphones is low, and I'll find better as I mature in this field. But I suspect this headphone will still be a keeper for life.

It has nothing to do with the headphones. It is always correct and safer to max out digital sources and control volume at the amp. Analog sources will have a sweet spot near max volume.

Think about it. If you control the volume with the source and have the amp on max, you are not driving the amp as it was designed to be driven, and you are getting maximum distortion since the amp does not do its best full blast. And if you make a mistake and connect a source running line level you will blow your speakers or if you have headphones you will blow your brains and and blow your cans.

The way things are designed to work is that sources run at line level (0 dB) and volume is control at the integrated amp. No surprises, no equipment or brain damage, and best possible sound quality.

Jun 8, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #20,533 of 23,458
If you try newer 'higher end' headphones you may get a brief thrill from whatever they do well but may find yourself going back to the comfort of the well balanced HD600.
So yes it's a keeper!

100% agree. Been there, done that.

Jun 8, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #20,534 of 23,458
Thank you so much for this information. You've taught me something new. I'm a complete newbie to the audio quality world in search for my perfect sound. My knowledge is very basic at the moment.

I haven't tried many headphones, but I do know that the HD600 is a headphone I instantly fell in love with. Maybe my pool of comparison between different headphones is low, and I'll find better as I mature in this field. But I suspect this headphone will still be a keeper for life.

They're hard to beat for a lot more money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back