Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
May 20, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #20,507 of 23,425
I haven't tried the 650 but I like the 600 design. It looks like it would distribute the pressure better.
I hang my 600 on a headphone hanger, and while it has a rounded surface, it's still much wider than the small gap between middle 2 pads of the 600 cushion, and contributes to the flattening. Hence I was considering the 650 pad due to its larger gap in the middle, which might suit my hanger better.

May 20, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #20,508 of 23,425
I hang my 600 on a headphone hanger, and while it has a rounded surface, it's still much wider than the small gap between middle 2 pads of the 600 cushion, and contributes to the flattening. Hence I was considering the 650 pad due to its larger gap in the middle, which might suit my hanger better.

It may indeed suit your headphone hanger better but it will probably not suit your head better :wink:

Modern problems...

May 26, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #20,510 of 23,425
Does anyone know how HD600 compares with AKG 712Pro in sound quality?

Thanks in advance.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-akg-k712-pro-support-and-impressions-thread.659251/unread

Go to this thread/ link. Once your in the thread, enter HD600 in “Search this thread” and press enter.
You”ll get a list of posts which talks about the HD600 in the K712 thread. All you need to do then is find a post that either compares the two or talks about the benefits of the HD600, etc.

May 26, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #20,511 of 23,425
Does anyone know how HD600 compares with AKG 712Pro in sound quality?

Thanks in advance.
600 is better. K712 lacks definition and resolution, and bass comes off lacking as well. I just didn't find it as revealing as HD600. You hear more of the recording with HD600. I guess the sound stage is large (or larger) on the K712? Still, I prefer the transparency of the HD600.

I attribute my perception of K712's characteristics to the large pad room inside causing a diffuse response that causes sound to lack bite, and focus. I notice this where there's a lot of room inside. I found this to be the characteristics of headphones with large cup room.

I was so disappointed with the K712 as soon as I listened to it. This impression was immediate, no denying. I found it very low performing. I don't like any of the classic AKG 7 series from Austria.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #20,513 of 23,425
I really like the K712 pro, and I really like the HD600. Both are great to me. I love the mids on HD600, but the airy nature and soundstage of K712 make me want to listen to all my old songs again with a revived "wow" factor.

The bass on K712 is better than HD600 for me. I don't find the bass lacking in them at all.

600 is better. K712 lacks definition and resolution, and bass comes off lacking as well. I just didn't find it as revealing as HD600. You hear more of the recording with HD600. I guess the sound stage is large (or larger) on the K712? Still, I prefer the transparency of the HD600.

I attribute my perception of K712's characteristics to the large pad room inside causing a diffuse response that causes sound to lack bite, and focus. I notice this where there's a lot of room inside. I found this to be the characteristics of headphones with large cup room.

I was so disappointed with the K712 as soon as I listened to it. This impression was immediate, no denying. I found it very low performing. I don't like any of the classic AKG 7 series from Austria.

Jun 2, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #20,514 of 23,425
I really like the K712 pro, and I really like the HD600. Both are great to me. I love the mids on HD600, but the airy nature and soundstage of K712 make me want to listen to all my old songs again with a revived "wow" factor.

The bass on K712 is better than HD600 for me. I don't find the bass lacking in them at all.
I guess it's my amp. My amps generally brings out the bass out of the Sennys, and definately more so than the K712. I have used others in the K7 series in the past with the large pad room, and generally found the room too large that causes bass roll-off easily without much impact, which has generally been cases with various headphones for me.

For example, Fostex reduces cup room to increase bass and this is very evident that reduced pad room increases bass.TH900 was the similar in this regard with more expanded pad room. I needed a particular tube amp to exaggerate it's bass to get up to a level that was worth it. Generally didn't have as much bass I preferred.

However, perception of stage increases due to the increased distance in the pads from the ear, or larger room inside. I don't doubt you'd find the K712 airier sounds spacious. I just found it too diffuse that causes imaging to be stretched without much focus and definition compared to HD600. I prefer well defined and clear imaging that bring out lots of details and nuances.

I find that there is a trade-off in regards to stage size vs focus/definition vs bass level with sizing the pad room at least with dynamic drivers. Also, dynamic driver diameter has effect on quality of bass as well I find, particularly the lowest portion, with combination of closing the cups.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #20,515 of 23,425
Does the HD600 really need an amp if you have a high end DAP? I find that my Astell & Kern SP1000M powers them just as good as any of my amps. I have the iFi Audio iCan Pro and the Schiit Magni. With the SP1000M DAP, adding to it doesn't seem to make a difference in sound quality than the listening through the DAP alone.

Am I missing something?

Attachments

• IMG_20200604_104127.jpg
    IMG_20200604_104127.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Jun 4, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #20,517 of 23,425
Try a decent tube amp or a more powerful solid state amp like the Chord TT2 or Violectric 280 and you should hear a difference. And by try I mean trial it, in a shop if you have the chance. If you still don't hear the improvemebt in sound (as if it gains dimension is one obvious change), then as Ichos said, you are just probably not able to due to your specific hearing profile.

Jun 4, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #20,518 of 23,425
Does the HD600 really need an amp if you have a high end DAP? I find that my Astell & Kern SP1000M powers them just as good as any of my amps. I have the iFi Audio iCan Pro and the Schiit Magni. With the SP1000M DAP, adding to it doesn't seem to make a difference in sound quality than the listening through the DAP alone.

Am I missing something?
Nahh you just found out that most ss amps sound the same and that the HD600 doesn’t need anymore than about 2V to unlock it’s full acoustic capabilities:)
Though if you ask folks on Head-Fi you’re bound to end up with a multitude of reasons why they think/feel the 600 “needs” a specific amp.
I do however think that 99% of members on here never really tried a simple blindtest in order to find out what they really can hear. It’s a difficult situation too because many have spent thousands of dollars on gear that all seemed to add something new or different.
But try convincing anyone to try out a mere test where they only use their ears and you get crickets or your behind handed over to you.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #20,519 of 23,425
Thanks, guys. What I mean by missing something is that there seems to be this common held belief that an amp is an absolute must. But I don't feel that's the case.

These are audiophiles I've heard say am external amp is a must, so I assume they already have a high end source they are connecting the amp to in the first place.

Jun 4, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #20,520 of 23,425
May be you are not missing anything in terms of power or driveability.
But don't buy into stuff that all ss amps and generally that everything that measures good sounds the same.
Believe me nothing sounds the same and generally what you pay is what you hear.
Trust me I have listened to a ton of gear - not bought or owned by me if that matters - and all sound different.
Amps and dacs alike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back