Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Oct 6, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #18,631 of 23,458
There is no subliminal or hidden or ''needing to read between the lines" message or other meaning than I will always have a pair of HD600 in my collection. But yes, the HD600 are IMHO still amongst the best headphones on the market regardless of price. When it comes to the "mid-range" sound and liquidity, the HD600 is better than many high end headphones. Two sources that I base my opinion on : 1-) my own ears, &, 2-) www.innerfidelity.com/content/sonoma-acoustics-model-one-electrostatic-headphone-and-amplifier-system, article by Tyll Hertsens, page 3, Sound quality, 3rd paragraph.

Exactly. Take a look of the measurements from innerfidelity and compare data of HD600 with those so-called TOTL products, you'll find HD600 is really great. Moreover, measurements clearly tell HD600 is better than HD650.

Oct 15, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #18,632 of 23,458
I would like to find a shorter cable not too expensive and that doesnt kill the sound quality.. the cheap one on amazon is very bad, I sent it back.. do you have any good advice?

Oct 15, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #18,636 of 23,458
I would like to find a shorter cable not too expensive and that doesnt kill the sound quality.. the cheap one on amazon is very bad, I sent it back.. do you have any good advice?

Standard cable with Velcro strap?
Choose your length take up slack, wrap it and secure it. It's so light, low profile and versatile (and not to mention Sennheiser's choice for this headphone) You don't want to be unplugging cables for different applications with these old 2 pin Sennheiser connectiins too often

AIMHO

EDIT and it has a brilliantly designed 1/4'' adapter !

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #18,637 of 23,458
Also on that subject I don't know why more companies don't include cable management.

Fine examples from my experience include Focal with their Spirit Classic and all Musical Fidelity headphones/ earphones.

Oct 15, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #18,638 of 23,458
You can buy an HD650 stock cable. It's a bit thicker than the HD600 & it's also an excellent cable.
That wouldn't work. HD650 cable is thicker and a likewise excellent cable, but it's just as long (also a 3m cable). I was entirely happy with the one on Amazon (I'm assuming it's the same one I currently use).

Oct 25, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #18,641 of 23,458
If you need new pads and/or cables, try headphone.com. They have a rather complete line of replacement parts & accessories for Sennheiser, and their prices are VERY reasonable.
As to the HD600s - I have a pair I have had for over 10 years. I replaced the ear pads and the headstrap pads with accessories from headphone.com. I also bought balanced cables from them.
If you truly want exquisite sound from your HD600s, and you have a spare power amp (with "clean" response) balanced cables are the way to go!
I have a spare McIntosh MC2205 (200 WPC). I ordered balanced cables from headphone.com, with a four pin XLR connector. I then built a "resistance box" with dual 400 watt, 10 ohm, resistors in parallel with the four pin xlr connector. I attached that to the 8 ohm taps on the MC2205, and plugged the balanced cable into the resistor box.
My theory is (1) the 10 ohm resistors would bleed enough power so the 300 ohm HD600s would not be overloaded, and (2) the watt meters on the MC2205 never get above 0.20 watts so I know I am working in the lowest distortion range of the amp.
The Mc2205 has the reputation of a very flat, smooth, response curve (but without the "punch" you get from the MC2255). Also, the HD600s have the reputation of a smooth response curve.
Putting these two together (with balanced cables) gives a "heavenly" smooth sound, with incredible detail and definition.
And with 200WPC available, there is all the "headroom" you need for transients.
If you have a good, "clean", spare power amp available, give this type of combination a try.
Thanks,
Jim

Oct 25, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #18,642 of 23,458
If you need new pads and/or cables, try headphone.com. They have a rather complete line of replacement parts & accessories for Sennheiser, and their prices are VERY reasonable.
As to the HD600s - I have a pair I have had for over 10 years. I replaced the ear pads and the headstrap pads with accessories from headphone.com. I also bought balanced cables from them.
If you truly want exquisite sound from your HD600s, and you have a spare power amp (with "clean" response) balanced cables are the way to go!
I have a spare McIntosh MC2205 (200 WPC). I ordered balanced cables from headphone.com, with a four pin XLR connector. I then built a "resistance box" with dual 400 watt, 10 ohm, resistors in parallel with the four pin xlr connector. I attached that to the 8 ohm taps on the MC2205, and plugged the balanced cable into the resistor box.
My theory is (1) the 10 ohm resistors would bleed enough power so the 300 ohm HD600s would not be overloaded, and (2) the watt meters on the MC2205 never get above 0.20 watts so I know I am working in the lowest distortion range of the amp.
The Mc2205 has the reputation of a very flat, smooth, response curve (but without the "punch" you get from the MC2255). Also, the HD600s have the reputation of a smooth response curve.
Putting these two together (with balanced cables) gives a "heavenly" smooth sound, with incredible detail and definition.
If you have a good, "clean", spare power amp available, give this type of combination a try.
Thanks,
Jim
Mmmm McIntosh! Never had or heard one, want one badly :) You're a lucky man. Well beyond my poor-boy budget, but I can dream.

I have HD600 and HD6XX, one with a Cardas 1/4" terminated cable, one with a Cardas XLR cable. My Schiit Jotunheim amp was purchased specifically to give me XLR capability :)

I'm not completely sold on XLR providing much, if any, benefit for short headphone cable runs. Having said that, I DO use XLR whenever I can, just in case :) Doing A/B testing between 1/4" and XLR on the Jotunheim isn't too advisable IMO, as there's quite a volume discrepancy between the 2 Outputs. Volume matching would be a nightmare unless you're far more inclined than I am.

Oct 25, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #18,643 of 23,458
Thanks,
Jim
Awesome amp and DIY stuff that you have there. Ill surely check the site. Thanks! Cheers!

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #18,644 of 23,458
Hey guys recently got an HD600 and have to say I absolutely love it with classical and some jazz! Imaging seems funky with other genres once more stuff is introduced but I’m fine with using just for the good stuff. I was using a Peachtree Audio dac it but it just took a poop. Had it paired to a school Asgard and also have a Darkvoice with some nice tubes. Hoping to upgrade to a Hugo2 come I come tax.
Anyways can someone suggest a portable dac/amp combo to hold me over till I can afford the Hugo2? I’d consider mojo but had one and I like it but afraid if might be too aggressive for the HD600. I wasn’t something just s little laid back and warm. Imaging and fine details are key for me. Been considering peachtree shift, burson portable, ifi Black (can’t remember exact model.). Anything in particular you guys think I should be looking at?

Oct 26, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #18,645 of 23,458
Has anyone thought of pad rolling your 600s with the likes of dekoni? Im wondering how would they sound with the dekoni hybrids.
Why would anyone want to?!??

They sound pretty perfect and are perfectly comfortable. Leave well alone imo.

Okay maybe a little wider soundstage might be nice but there is too much chance of buggering up the sound to even bother AIMAAHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back