Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Sep 29, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #18,601 of 23,468
To get back on topic, I love the HD600s. I have tried out for extended period of time a number of higher end headphones (HD800S, Ether Flow, Elear, LCD2s) and auditioned a number of others (PS1k, LCD4, LCDX, HD800, Ether) but I honestly think I prefer the HD600s to all of those except the PS1k. I am not going to say the HD600 is an endgame can for me but it plus a PS1k maybe. If nothing else, I think they are the ultimate jazz can.

I still have a number of higher end headphones I'd like to listen to (some Stax setups, HE6, K1000, GS1k and GS2k) so who knows but for me the HD600s are about perfect.
Trying for an extended period and auditions in the store or at a meet is not the same as living with a headphone and configuring the rest of your audio chain to pair well with a headphone, which is why I would usually try gear that I didn't care for the first time a second or third audition if I didn't use my own gear. It took me a few months with the HD600 to figure out why I sometimes felt fatigued when listen to the HD600 and someone with a lot of experience said that it might be the small peak at 4-5khz of the HD600 that bothered me since brighter headphones like the HD700 and HD800 have peaks that are higher up in frequency and don't fatigue me. Even with this issue I still feel that the HD600 are really great headphones, but they may not be for everyone.

The PS1k is good but I'd never get one since there are better alternatives to me that I've heard and own at 1/4 to 1/5 the price.

Sep 29, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #18,602 of 23,468
Trying for an extended period and auditions in the store or at a meet is not the same as living with a headphone and configuring the rest of your audio chain to pair well with a headphone, which is why I would usually try gear that I didn't care for the first time a second or third audition if I didn't use my own gear. It took me a few months with the HD600 to figure out why I sometimes felt fatigued when listen to the HD600 and someone with a lot of experience said that it might be the small peak at 4-5khz of the HD600 that bothered me since brighter headphones like the HD700 and HD800 have peaks that are higher up in frequency and don't fatigue me. Even with this issue I still feel that the HD600 are really great headphones, but they may not be for everyone.

The PS1k is good but I'd never get one since there are better alternatives to me that I've heard and own at 1/4 to 1/5 the price.

The first group were at my house/ place of work not at a meet or store and were using a few different amps/ sources. I mean I find it is all personal preference. I just love the tuning and the smoothness of HD600. Listening to the HD600 to jazz particularly with tubes, I just feel like I am sitting right here in a smokey jazz club and I haven't found any headphones that transport me to the setting like that. I did like the Ether Flows quite a bit but not enough to justify the price. I am not saying that HD600s are going to be endgame cans for everyone or even most people that mess with headphones, it just might be for me.

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #18,603 of 23,468

What alternatives to PS1k are better in your opinion?

Sep 29, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #18,604 of 23,468
To get back on topic, I love the HD600s. I have tried out for extended period of time a number of higher end headphones (HD800S, Ether Flow, Elear, LCD2s) and auditioned a number of others (PS1k, LCD4, LCDX, HD800, Ether) but I honestly think I prefer the HD600s to all of those except the PS1k. I am not going to say the HD600 is an endgame can for me but it plus a PS1k maybe. If nothing else, I think they are the ultimate jazz can.

I still have a number of higher end headphones I'd like to listen to (some Stax setups, HE6, K1000, GS1k and GS2k) so who knows but for me the HD600s are about perfect.
Yeah, I've listened to a lot of headphones that do indeed produce higher fidelity sound than the HD600s, but one of the reasons I've stuck with them is that not only do they sound quite good, an undoubtedly high-fidelity sound to be happy with, they cost significantly less than those better sounding headphones while delivering most of the performance. I'll happily accept that trade-off. I still like to hear the top end of the top end, but I doubt that I'll personally ever buy any of them (unless I win a lottery jackpot, then maybe :p).

Sep 29, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #18,605 of 23,468
The first group were at my house/ place of work not at a meet or store and were using a few different amps/ sources. I mean I find it is all personal preference. I just love the tuning and the smoothness of HD600. Listening to the HD600 to jazz particularly with tubes, I just feel like I am sitting right here in a smokey jazz club and I haven't found any headphones that transport me to the setting like that. I did like the Ether Flows quite a bit but not enough to justify the price. I am not saying that HD600s are going to be endgame cans for everyone or even most people that mess with headphones, it just might be for me.

Just wanted to clarify that store auditions and meet conditions are not very good for forming a good impression of gear.

What alternatives to PS1k are better in your opinion?
Send me a PM since its getting off topic

Oct 3, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #18,607 of 23,468
There are many others that love the hd600 but had to let them go due to the treble peak affecting our ears. As i said earlier i have through many headphones and this is the first time i experienced this on my ears. I also find Sennheiser RS-120 for goodprice.
The RS-120 and HD600 are very different headphones in term of how they sound.
You are not alone with the small treble peak at 4-5khz bothering you, I'm another that had this same problem but luckily peaks higher up in frequency don't bother me.

Oct 5, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #18,609 of 23,468
I laugh when people say end game. Every-time I have said that I end up upgrading again. But that is part of the fun.

Oct 5, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #18,610 of 23,468
I laugh when people say end game. Every-time I have said that I end up upgrading again. But that is part of the fun.
I can say end game! :p Likely won't own anything higher than the HD600 and TH-X00 for a long while, but that's not gonna stop me from trying out higher end stuff to see what they're all about :wink:

Oct 5, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #18,611 of 23,468
I guess I'm lucky since I'm not looking for end game :ksc75smile:. I also don't really look for "upgrades" but a different sound from what I currently have and while some can be considered "upgrades" to me its just different.

Oct 5, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #18,613 of 23,468
I consider HD600 'endgame' in full size headphones.

(Just as HD25 in closed on ear, c-Jays lightweight headphones and Musical Fidelity (EDIT) EB50 in ears, in their respective categories )

They're easily good enough for me (and my 50 odd year old ears )to be unable to imagine anything much better.

Be content and enjoy your music

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #18,615 of 23,468
I consider HD600 'endgame' in full size headphones.

(Just as HD25 in closed on ear, c-Jays lightweight headphones and Musical Fidelity MF100 in ears, in their respective categories )

They're easily good enough for me (and my 50 odd year old ears )to be unable to imagine anything much better.

Be content and enjoy your music

My thoughts exactly, especially with 65 year old ears... I love these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back