Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Sep 23, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #18,571 of 23,425
Hello everyone, I really need your opinion, I've bought HD 600 almost 4 months ago, first it was really dull and felt really vailed and I didn't liked it at all but now they are really better I really love them when I listen to music with them, but I heard really extra ordinary and good things about them only negative thing people has to say about them is that they are vailed which in my opinion after the burn in they are not at all! in fact they are really easy to listen to and your dont feel your ears fatigued, but with my setup I don't feel they are really fantastic, they are good, just really good, better than everything I had (this is my first good quality headphone) I am using Creative Sound Blaster Zx amplified headphone jack, I am really disappointed with their in game performance, its like you are not in game and you are watching the game form the TV, footsteps are really close and not precise, I am well aware of this that they are not a gaming headphones they are not designed for gaming, I am really obsessing over this I researched and some people say you have to change the cable, some people have said to me a sound card is a really bad choice for powering HD600, so now I am wondering what should be my next move, a new amp or cable or entirely new headphones for only gaming cause I love how they sound with music. My friend has HD598 custom and handmade 300 ohms, they are so amazing on gaming I get goose bumps every time I play games with his rig, fir example in Crysis 3 game, its like you have the helmet on when you shoot with your gun you feel sound starting from your gun and spreading in environment, But I tried with my HD600 the same games I was heartbroken, he also uses a sound card for his 598, So I need help on these two topics, 1.Is it from the HD600 or the way I am powering them up and can be improved. 2. if I wanted to buy new headphones for gaming is normal HD598 (not the handmade and custom, but regular 50 ohms one) is good or it has to be custom, Many many thanks in advance for your help and opinions.

It sounds like you're looking for a larger soundstage. As a consequence of the HD 600's upper midrange-forward tuning, it tends to make everything sound close to you, with a really obvious center image but not a whole lot of deflection to either side. Headphones with a bit less upper midrange and a little more treble (the HD 598, at least in stock form, fits here) will project a larger image; something like a DT880 with significantly more treble will go even further in that direction.

It's your choice what direction to go, though I can tell you from my experience that there are no miracles to be had futzing around with components. The HD 600 has its own sonic flavor, just like every other headphone. And just like no matter what bowl you put it in or which spoon you use to eat it, vanilla ice cream will never magically turn into chocolate, the HD 600 will not magically grow a big soundstage. It is what it is.

My advice would be to pick up a second set specifically for gaming if the HD 600 is unsatisfying in this area. I'd say go with the HD 598 if you've heard it and liked it, except I have no idea what your friend did to end up with a 300 ohm variant, apart from somehow transplanting HD 6x0 drivers into it, which I'm sure would sound WAY different from a stock HD 598. It might still be worth taking a shot at it if you can find a good deal, though, especially since the 599 is now out and you might find a good price on the older model as retailers are trying to clear old stock.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #18,572 of 23,425
I finally got on board the HD600 train, having acquired a set that was in a slightly damaged box-but-otherwise-new for an eminently reasonable $189. Wow, these are enjoyable. I spent about a dozen hours over the weekend listening (mainly to opera) and they really knock it out of the park.

Sep 25, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #18,573 of 23,425
Yeah, it does use that stiff plastic-like material for sheathing, but if not moving around much, I find that it's not really bothersome. I only have ever used it at a desk (I have one for the HD600 and an equivalent for my SHP9500 at work) so in my case, microphonics has never been an issue.

I'd consider it to fit your needs perfectly. To be fair, I don't believe much in a cable's ability to significantly change a headphone's signature, but that's a discussion for another thread that I'd rather not get into. When I bought it, I was purely looking for a shorter cable to use at my desktop setup so I didn't have to have a large bundle of cable sitting next to my amp and IMO, this cable fit the bill perfectly. Also was nice for me because I had a 3.5mm output desktop amp at the time, but I intended to get one with a 6.3mm output at some point (I have one now) and this cable has a very nice native solution for connecting to the two different sizes. Never had to worry about an adapter or unnecessary strain on the cable.
just today I found in my mailbox the cable, for the price I have to say it's a must buy, good overall quality, happy with :)

Sep 25, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #18,574 of 23,425
I finally got on board the HD600 train, having acquired a set that was in a slightly damaged box-but-otherwise-new for an eminently reasonable $189. Wow, these are enjoyable. I spent about a dozen hours over the weekend listening (mainly to opera) and they really knock it out of the park.

At $189, an HD 600 is basically unbeatable. Even for the almost $100 I paid for my set, it was a fantastic deal.

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #18,575 of 23,425
Hi, just wait for them to complete the burn in process, they will sound much better, first when I got them I was like meh they are good not amazing but after nearly 4 months, I can tell there are improvements to treble and bass, the sound stage maybe a bit narrow for my taste (and gaming) but sure I do really enjoy listening music with them, I mostly listen to Epic, Classical, Jazz and sometimes country and rock.

Sep 27, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #18,578 of 23,425
Hi

Have a new HD600 for some months now but never used it until now with my desktop rig and I like it a lot especially comfort. Do you people recommend doing any mod on it or just leave it the way it is?

Sep 27, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #18,579 of 23,425
Hi

Have a new HD600 for some months now but never used it until now with my desktop rig and I like it a lot especially comfort. Do you people recommend doing any mod on it or just leave it the way it is?
All I've done is get a shorter cable so I didn't have a pile of cable sitting on my desk in front of my amp. Otherwise, just leaving a good thing as it is.

Sep 28, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #18,581 of 23,425
How much burning in does HD600 need? I assume around 200h. Sounds awesome already...30h :)

Sep 28, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #18,583 of 23,425
I noticed something really odd and amazing about my HD600s, I noticed when they are on my head (I mean I am using them lol), when I push them forward as much my ears are comfortable, I feel bit of treble and detail boost! have any of you guys tried this? I think its quite amazing!

Sep 28, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #18,584 of 23,425
How much burning in does HD600 need? I assume around 200h. Sounds awesome already...30h :)

Actually there is no evidence burn in will help - quite the opposite actually (there is more actual evidence that burn-in or break-in effects are so small to be questionable as far as audibility goes with headphones/earphones). You will get more difference in frequency response from moving them on your head a little, or in the condition of the pads.

My advice - just use them.

Interestingly Sennheiser (like Shure and most of the other large manufacturers) don't make any claims re burn-in. SHure engineers even said it would make no difference. The only ones making claims are the smaller boutique operators. Ask them for evidence (frequency response plots) showing evidence of burn-in. You won't get replies.

Sep 28, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #18,585 of 23,425
What i feel ia mostly related with the vocals.... on some tracks they seem to lean a bit to the right side instead of completely centereď. But we are talking about something that is very small.... like 5%. But like i said is not noticeable on all songs. Some actually do feel centered at times.

This is so annoyingly frequent. And usually to the right. Drives me crazy, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back