Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Sep 11, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #18,541 of 23,456
Sep 18, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #18,543 of 23,456
Just ordered my HD 600. Now looking for a short cable (1.2 m ~ 1.5m). I saw some on Ebay and Amazon. Didn't particularly like them. Are there other options out there? Could you point me to some? Not looking to spend more than $25. Thanks.

Sep 18, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #18,544 of 23,456
Just ordered my HD 600. Now looking for a short cable (1.2 m ~ 1.5m). I saw some on Ebay and Amazon. Didn't particularly like them. Are there other options out there? Could you point me to some? Not looking to spend more than $25. Thanks.

I bought this one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Replacem...var=580281546662&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649,

i did not yet received the item so i don't know how good is, i don't expect a sound improvement, i expect the same quality in a shorter package :)

Sep 18, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #18,545 of 23,456

At $25 you will be hard pressed to find anything decent. Since I built my own cables the parts alone are over $25 so I would not expect much for $25. I think you would have to go to $50-60 to find a decent cable since the cost of the parts would be about $40-60 depending on the cable and jacks selected.

Sep 19, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #18,546 of 23,456
The standard cable is so light and flexible. I just use a Velcro strap to take up the slack as needed. Love it

Sep 19, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #18,547 of 23,456
I bought this one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Replacement-Cable-For-Sennheiser-HD414-HD420-HD430-HD650-HD600-HD580-headphones/281238052332?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=580281546662&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649,

i did not yet received the item so i don't know how good is, i don't expect a sound improvement, i expect the same quality in a shorter package :)
This is the exact cable I have. Good cheap cable IMO. Have used it almost as long as I've had the HD600 since I bought it not too long after I bought the HD600.

Sep 19, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #18,548 of 23,456
This is the exact cable I have. Good cheap cable IMO. Have used it almost as long as I've had the HD600 since I bought it not too long after I bought the HD600.
I got those cables from the same vendor but for a HD700 but while the quality is good for the price I found that the covering on the cable can be a little microphonic at times.

Sep 19, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #18,549 of 23,456
An upgrade to my equipment totally transformed the sound of my HD 600's. Sooo transparent now and not lacking in attack and are presenting music with authority and even more detail. Definitely not polite sounding now. These headphones really to scale impressively with equipment. They're practically limitless, never thought I could be so impressed.

In addition to my Violectric gear, I'm using the SurfCables balanced XLR cables.

Edit: For future reference:

DAT RS 05 -> DAC v850 -> HPA v281

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #18,550 of 23,456
those cables we're reviewed by Zeos on youtube, or at least in one of his videos he mention this particular cable, i don't remember exactly; therefore i'm sure is not that bad, but again what i expect is the same sound quality in shorter cable so more confy to use on a desktop setup or on a couch :) at least for me.

Sep 20, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #18,551 of 23,456
I got those cables from the same vendor but for a HD700 but while the quality is good for the price I found that the covering on the cable can be a little microphonic at times.
Yeah, it does use that stiff plastic-like material for sheathing, but if not moving around much, I find that it's not really bothersome. I only have ever used it at a desk (I have one for the HD600 and an equivalent for my SHP9500 at work) so in my case, microphonics has never been an issue.

those cables we're reviewed by Zeos on youtube, or at least in one of his videos he mention this particular cable, i don't remember exactly; therefore i'm sure is not that bad, but again what i expect is the same sound quality in shorter cable so more confy to use on a desktop setup or on a couch :) at least for me.
I'd consider it to fit your needs perfectly. To be fair, I don't believe much in a cable's ability to significantly change a headphone's signature, but that's a discussion for another thread that I'd rather not get into. When I bought it, I was purely looking for a shorter cable to use at my desktop setup so I didn't have to have a large bundle of cable sitting next to my amp and IMO, this cable fit the bill perfectly. Also was nice for me because I had a 3.5mm output desktop amp at the time, but I intended to get one with a 6.3mm output at some point (I have one now) and this cable has a very nice native solution for connecting to the two different sizes. Never had to worry about an adapter or unnecessary strain on the cable.

Sep 20, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #18,552 of 23,456
i just bought a new to me, but older HD600, i want to say they are about 10yrs old, and as listened more to them, i've come to realize i'm hearing a slight channel imbalance, when i first started noticing the imbalance, i ordered new pads which i'd planned to do anyway, that really offered no help. when use my usual cans, no issues at all.
i can go into windows and adjust the balance to where the levels match and the imaging centers, the offending channel (L) sounds great, pristine, no distortion at all.
i'm using a project sunrise iii amp, with multiple all carefully biased. my magnum headphone flawless, the hd600 has the imbalance.
can a bad driver just loose volume like that, while remaining otherwise good sounding ?
or an i loosing my mind ??

Sep 20, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #18,553 of 23,456
i just bought a new to me, but older HD600, i want to say they are about 10yrs old, and as listened more to them, i've come to realize i'm hearing a slight channel imbalance, when i first started noticing the imbalance, i ordered new pads which i'd planned to do anyway, that really offered no help. when use my usual cans, no issues at all.
i can go into windows and adjust the balance to where the levels match and the imaging centers, the offending channel (L) sounds great, pristine, no distortion at all.
i'm using a project sunrise iii amp, with multiple all carefully biased. my magnum headphone flawless, the hd600 has the imbalance.
can a bad driver just loose volume like that, while remaining otherwise good sounding ?
or an i loosing my mind ??

I know my original new pair had a slight imbalance, ended up sending it in after a few months of questioning my sanity and hearing, they sent me an entirely new pair, and that has worked fine. I've also had (much cheaper) headphones in the past which simply got quieter over time in one or both sides, and I only noticed it when I got a new pair. So it can definitely happen.

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #18,554 of 23,456
I know my original new pair had a slight imbalance, ended up sending it in after a few months of questioning my sanity and hearing, they sent me an entirely new pair, and that has worked fine. I've also had (much cheaper) headphones in the past which simply got quieter over time in one or both sides, and I only noticed it when I got a new pair. So it can definitely happen.
I feel the same thing with my hd600s. The weird thing is they only sound unbalanced when a&Bing with other headphones and on some songs they sound perfectly centered. Can this just be the way they are and the way they placer instrumentos? Because Its not really a true inbalance.... Its just that sometimes just feel a little deviated to the right but only sometimes and really barely while others they sound perfectly fine....

They are still under warranty until march of 2018. Would you guys advise me to send them to sennheiser for repair? If so and if they havê in fact a problem what will happen? Will sennheiser just give me a brand new pair or will they just replace the drivers?

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #18,555 of 23,456
I feel the same thing with my hd600s. The weird thing is they only sound unbalanced when a&Bing with other headphones and on some songs they sound perfectly centered. Can this just be the way they are and the way they placer instrumentos? Because Its not really a true inbalance.... Its just that sometimes just feel a little deviated to the right but only sometimes and really barely while others they sound perfectly fine....

They are still under warranty until march of 2018. Would you guys advise me to send them to sennheiser for repair? If so and if they havê in fact a problem what will happen? Will sennheiser just give me a brand new pair or will they just replace the drivers?
Most likely a brand new pair. Mine had a new serial number on the box and it certainly smelled new. Took a little burn in period, and the replacement set still sounds a little unbalanced at times, until I play around with it and realize it's either the song or my ears causing the effect. But no more persistent feeling of something being off like with the original pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back