*** Sennheiser HD-598 Review *** - All Star Headphones
Jun 21, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #16 of 18
I have some bad news.  Today I found out that the hd598 cable is not only proprietary in a physical sense, but also internally.  Meaning the wiring and overall innards of the stock cable head is unique and no other 2.5mm cable will ever work on it.  Ive tested many adapters and only one of them actually transmitted sound to both sides, but it was horrid quality and very monoish.  I was assured repeatedly by a multiple people that a 2.5mm cable can be specially made to fit and work on this, as a replacement for the stock cable.  After a hoard of research I had one specially made and used quality parts and wiring.  Come to find out that the HD598 will not work with just any 2.5mm head, balanced or not. 

If the hd598 didnt sound so amazing I'd be really upset right now but im more let down by this

Jun 22, 2011 at 5:38 AM Post #17 of 18

Quote:
I have some bad news.  Today I found out that the hd598 cable is not only proprietary in a physical sense, but also internally.  Meaning the wiring and overall innards of the stock cable head is unique and no other 2.5mm cable will ever work on it.  Ive tested many adapters and only one of them actually transmitted sound to both sides, but it was horrid quality and very monoish.  I was assured repeatedly by a multiple people that a 2.5mm cable can be specially made to fit and work on this, as a replacement for the stock cable.  After a hoard of research I had one specially made and used quality parts and wiring.  Come to find out that the HD598 will not work with just any 2.5mm head, balanced or not. 

If the hd598 didnt sound so amazing I'd be really upset right now but im more let down by this

That really kind of sucks...they should tell people about this, or at least offer replacement cables.

Nov 12, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #18 of 18
Hi, I've decided to get these and I'm very excited. I read your review here and I also saw it on amazon, and it was the most helpful review I found on the headphones, so thankyou for helping me make my purchase! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back