​
*** Sennheiser HD-598 Review ***
 ​
The Jack of all Trades
 ​

(taken from sennheisers website )
 ​
 ​
[td] Transducer principle[/td] [td] dynamic, open[/td] [td] Ear coupling[/td] [td] circumaural[/td] [td] Frequency response[/td] [td] 12 – 38500 Hz[/td] [td] THD, total harmonic distortion[/td] [td] < 0.1 % (1 kHz/100 dB SPL)[/td] [td] Sound pressure level (SPL)[/td] [td] 112 dB[/td] [td] Impedance[/td] [td] 50 Ω[/td] [td] Cable length[/td] [td] 3 m OFC single -sided, exchangeable[/td] [td] Jack plug[/td] [td] 6.3 mm[/td] [td] Weight[/td] [td] 270 g[/td]
 ​

Well, its true.  The Hd598 is an all star player and a real jack of all trades.  I've been unable to find any genre that sounds bad on this set.  I really feel dumb for being so bias regarding its color scheme...I originally avoided this set solely because I disliked the colors.  If i could go back in time to around a year ago when the first images of the HD598 were released, I would punch myself and make sure I pre ordered it with next day shipping. 

Build and Comfort

The weight is evenly distributed and causes no pain or discomfort at all.  It is easily wearable indefinitely, as the clamp factor is minimal and the headband is very cushy.  I wish the padding on the headband were the same as the earpads, I am just nitpicking, its still very comfortable and conforms very well to my head.  Uneven weight is a huge problem for me, if any of you know me...this is something I whine about a lot...those dang headbands...why can't they get it right!? Well...thankfully Sennheisers usually don't have that problem, this set is damned comfortable and them some. 

After playing with it for a bit, I came to enjoy the colors, I think its solidly built and I really enjoy the imitation wood accents.  I think the set boasts a posh experience.  The grills are a typical senn mesh and the set itself feels likes its made of a sturdy plastics...not as thick feeling as an Ultrasone, but still pretty good, I guess the lack of thickness in the plastics makes sense if you want to listen to it for more than a few minutes without feeling like a lead box is strapped to your head.

Bass

This set is not bass light, despite what some people are saying.  It is neither lacking nor too heavy, if you are bass head I would dissuade you from this set.  Its not for you.  However, the overall quality is just "good".  Not great, I've definitely heard better in the Beyers of equal price.  The bass is much different than the Beyers, though.  The HD598 bass is very soft and extremely forgiving.  There is not much slam to it, its gentle and caressing.  There is a fair amount of weight to it and it reaches to a moderately deep level at 12hz.  To anyone who enjoys classical or jazz, this is just the type of bass you want.  Again, you will find it neither lacking nor too heavy.  It handles rock pretty well but I did find it handling tracks with a lot of bass "not so good"  There is a fair amount of distortion when heavy bass appears in a track.  The bass does not overshadow or overpower the mids or highs, which is not a common thing to hear in a set these days. 

The Mids, Highs and Soundstage

Well, the  HD 598 is right at that boarder of forward sound, its not as forward as the DT770 for example, not too far off from it and resides in that "just right for relaxation" area.  Its again, forgiving in every way.  Extremely relaxing and warm.  No, I would not call them neutral.  Maybe my ears are breaking, but out of my Fiio e11 and E9 the mids are velvety and lush, foward and very smooth.  The highs are crisp and never harsh, in fact nothing on this set is harsh.  Tracks that I've known to be too sibilant became very enjoyable. If i had to rate the overall clarity or use a term to describe them, I would say its "just good"  Not great, not special alone....but as a whole ( the bass to mids to highs ) it is all very special due to the fact that nothing overpowers anything else.  The bass through the highs are all equally clear and smooth.

The soundstage is staggering, angled drivers FOR THE WIN.  No, I did not find it to be as big as the AD700.  This is a bit exaggerated if you ask me, the AD700 seemed noticeably more tall.  However, thats where it ended.  The HD 598 is without question more wide and textured, more layered and with a hell of a lot more detail and separation.  The overall soundstage is wider than tall, but again, the height is still extremely tall so you shouldnt find it lacking at all.  It is definitely the best soundstage experience I have ever owned outside of the T1.  Imaging is fantastic, the soundstage is definitely one of the biggest available for such a price and as A SOUNDSTAGE NUT BAR...I fell in love with the hd 598 instantly.  Coming from the DT770 Luke Skybeyer and flowing right into this was a godsend to me...the stage is excellent. Nuff' said.

Gripes about the Cable

Well, the cable is on the thin side and detachable.  This is good except the socket into the can is proprietary and there are no replacement cables for it...so why did Sennheiser make this detachable if they offer no replacement cables and its damned near impossible to find a 2.5mm adapter or cable that will fit into the socket?  It is kind of annoying, as I have heard many times that the cable is limiting the sound quality of the set so any other nice cable will make the experience that much better...but there is no chance I will recable the set just for the sake of a bit of sound quality. I'd rather have nicer portable cable that isnt a gargantuan at 10ft long, also one that is more sturdy and of a higher quality.

Overall the set is amazing in every way.  Its clear, smooth, forgiving and comfortable to boot.  Without question the HD598 gets my vote for the Best set of 2010-2011.  This is a keeper folks, sennheiser hit a home run with this.  Great job, Sennheiser!

*high five 

Jun 10, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #3 of 18
Thanks for the review. I agree with most all of it. I love how it's mids are slightly forward, but it still retains it's smooth signature. I always found it more detailed than many of the other Sennheiser headphones. I've even compared them side by side! It's still fairly forgiving too.

The only negative is the sound isn't as super clear as some other headphones in it's price range, but there isn't another headphone that's open quite like it that I've found. The K601 is very close. The only other negative is that the soundstage isn't as good as the K601, but that's nit-picking. K601 also has far better imaging, but doesn't give me that more forward sound, but pretty close.

My vote for Best Headphones of 2010-2011 are this and the DJ100. Both sound very similar, but the DJ100 has more bass I think and much more forward mids. For those that want a portable that sounds similar to the HD-598, the DJ100 is worth a try. I always said I'd never find a headphone I like as much as the DJ100 under $200, but the HD-598 sure came close.

K601 hasn't been on my head in two weeks..ugh..I guess that means I must prefer the DJ100 and HD-598. I wish I had more time to listen to all of my headphones. I'm thinking of selling the K702 again and getting a Shure SRH-940 or SA5000.

Jun 10, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #4 of 18
Great review!

Wait until you listened to them for some time. You will like them even more.

They are really a hit. Even a fellow head-fier with HD-800s, LCD-2, Grado RS1i etc. was impressed by this "budget" audiophile headphone. All non-audiophile listeners are simply amazed by their sound and soundstage...

Thanks for the review.

Jun 10, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #5 of 18
Great review swbfcheater! I'm glad you like them!

The presentation of the HD598 is actually closer to neutral to my ears than most of the new headphones I've heard and I don't have to EQ much to get it really close to neutral to my ears. I just recessed the upper mids a bit and the upper treble. They aren't the most detailed headphones in the world so I was a fair bit more liberal on a linear phase EQ with them. Have you watched movies and played games with them yet? =)

Jun 10, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #7 of 18
Nice review! I've had my HD598's for only 2 weeks and I like 'em more every time I put them on. The comfort and soundstage are amazing. I got these primarily for my jazz collection - listening to Sonny Rollins' "Way Out West" album with these is like being in the studio. (I'm using the E7/E9 combo btw)

Jun 10, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #8 of 18
Nicely done! It's great to see more and more raving reviews popping up for these. They are fantastic.

It's funny, my Top 3 headphones of all time all were released this year: HD598, HE-500, SRH940.

Jun 11, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #10 of 18
Nice review, very short and to-the-point.

I must say though, I'm not the biggest fan of the HD595.  I like it for classical, but that's about it, really.  I honestly prefer my GR07s for pretty much everything else.  Have you ever had a chance to try out the 595?  I'm wondering if it's worth it to sell that and upgrade to this...or just go for the D2000 like I was planning.

Jun 11, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #11 of 18
I have owned the HD595, yes.  If you want a better sound stage experience and more bass, then its a great upgrade.  Pick up the HD598 used if possible.  Its definitely an upgrade in every way.  More dynamic, larger soundstage but differently shaped ( much nicer IMO ), definitely more bass and a more relaxed and smooth sound.  I found the hd595 to be a bit harsh and odd in presentation...however the HD 598 surpassed my expectations and continues to impress me.  Out of the Fiio E11, it sounds very nice and with the Fiio E9...its noticeably more dynamic and the stage depth is more textured and layered ( more of it ).  

Well worth every penny.  I did buy a small 2.5mm adapter for this in attempt to use a better shorter cable, however I have no idea if it will fit yet, still waiting for it to arrive but Im sure if it does...it could be the only adapter that would fit it and I'll make sure to link people to it.  I mean...I just came from the DT 770 and DT 880 and sold them off quickly...i dont want to sell this HD 598.   Its just too smooth and relaxed, extremely soft and forgiving where as pretty much every damned set of headphones I've owned in the past 2 or 3 years have been polar opposite...slamming bass, harsh tinny highs, odd presentation ect ect...none of this exists in the HD 598 :)

Jun 11, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
I have owned the HD595, yes.  If you want a better sound stage experience and more bass, then its a great upgrade.  Pick up the HD598 used if possible.  Its definitely an upgrade in every way.  More dynamic, larger soundstage but differently shaped ( much nicer IMO ), definitely more bass and a more relaxed and smooth sound.  I found the hd595 to be a bit harsh and odd in presentation...however the HD 598 surpassed my expectations and continues to impress me.  Out of the Fiio E11, it sounds very nice and with the Fiio E9...its noticeably more dynamic and the stage depth is more textured and layered ( more of it ).  

Well worth every penny.  I did buy a small 2.5mm adapter for this in attempt to use a better shorter cable, however I have no idea if it will fit yet, still waiting for it to arrive but Im sure if it does...it could be the only adapter that would fit it and I'll make sure to link people to it.

Hmm...I'll just have to see if I can find it cheap used or wait until it goes down in price.  Might take a few years though...I just got my 595s a few months ago though, so I'm in no huge hurry to get rid of them.  If I do end up getting a D2000 I'll decide what to do with my 595s then.  I've seen so much unanimous praise for the 598s that I'll definitely have to try them out eventually.

Unfortunately though, it looks like the resale value of the 595s has dropped to rock bottom...

Jun 11, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #13 of 18
I tell ya, this guy and the SRH940 are proving that great audio does not have to cost an arm and a leg.  Happy ears and happy wallets, who would've thunk it?
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #14 of 18

Quote:
I tell ya, this guy and the SRH940 are proving that great audio does not have to cost an arm and a leg.  Happy ears and happy wallets, who would've thunk it?
biggrin.gif

You bet, technology will only get smaller, cheaper, more efficient and overall just better and better as time goes on.  Perhaps Sennheiser or ultrasone will hire me so I can help design the next new amazing feature or design to boost this theory I have :)

Jun 11, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #15 of 18
After trying out the 598 I was quite underwhelmed by the soundstage of my AD900s, the 598 has the perfect soundstage IMO, but I found it much too boring. Its not very good for black metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back