Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Jun 1, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #4,801 of 7,535
I mentioned this previously in another post, but i was originally trying to decide between HD600s and '650s. There were just too many conflicting opinions that I couldn't decide which one was for me. I may be giving up a bit with the HD-598s, but I'm really happy with my decision so far.

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #4,802 of 7,535
I mentioned this previously in another post, but i was originally trying to decide between HD600s and '650s. There were just too many conflicting opinions that I couldn't decide which one was for me. I may be giving up a bit with the HD-598s, but I'm really happy with my decision so far.

You even got away with a cheaper solution.

Between hd600 and hd650, the sound is extremely similar, you can choose either and be happy. 

Jun 2, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #4,804 of 7,535
  To me the HD600, HD650 and HD598 never sound familiar, even though they're all great. 

Yeah, I'm afraid that if I were to go to the 600 or 650, I may lose something I like about the '598. I think I'm finished with adding Sennheiser models to the collection for now. I need to save up for an electrostatic amp for my next purchase anyway.

Jun 2, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #4,806 of 7,535
What stats are you looking at?

I have Koss ESP-950s which come with their own amp. However the amp is the weak link and I was going to upgrade to something like the Stax SRM-727II or a KGST variant. Once I have the amp I may move up to Stax SR-007v2 Earspeakers.

Unfortunately once you make the decision to go with electrostatics, upgrades aren't cheap.

Jun 2, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #4,807 of 7,535
 I have Koss ESP-950s which come with their own amp. However the amp is the weak link and I was going to upgrade to something like the Stax SRM-727II or a KGST variant. Once I have the amp I may move up to Stax SR-007v2 Earspeakers.

Unfortunately once you make the decision to go with electrostatics, upgrades aren't cheap.

Stax are not cheap haha. I'm currently trying the planer world and liking it so far, would love to try some stats though. My favorite speakers are stats.

Jun 2, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #4,808 of 7,535
Stax are not cheap haha. I'm currently trying the planer world and liking it so far, would love to try some stats though. My favorite speakers are stats.

I tried a pair of HE-400s lastyear and wanted to love them but just couldn't. Something just wasn't right with them. I know there are other planar options out there but they start getting into the electrostatic price range so I just decided to make the jump. Although there are some things I am enjoying more on the HD598s right now, over my 'stats.

Ironically I prefer the sound of planar speakers (Magneplanar) over electrostatic speakers. I never heard the top model Martin Logans, but the smaller ones with a dynamic woofer just don't do it for me compared to Magneplanars.

Jun 2, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #4,809 of 7,535
I tried a pair of HE-400s lastyear and wanted to love them but just couldn't. Something just wasn't right with them. I know there are other planar options out there but they start getting into the electrostatic price range so I just decided to make the jump. Although there are some things I am enjoying more on the HD598s right now, over my 'stats.

Ironically I prefer the sound of planar speakers (Magneplanar) over electrostatic speakers. I never heard the top model Martin Logans, but the smaller ones with a dynamic woofer just don't do it for me compared to Magneplanars.

Actually it was the smaller martin loans that did it for me. I don't know if this was your issue but I didn't like the transition from the mids into the lows where the woofer kicked in. Maybe bad crossover or a bad pairing. When I was younger my friends dad had some maggies, I had no idea at the time what they were and was only amazed at how such a thin speaker could be so loud. But I wish I could give them a listen now that I have matured. I really want to get the 60 xt by Martin Logan though. Sorry to be off topic though and to not further derail the thread preference aside the 598s truly deliver great quality. I have a pair of alpha primes I just picked up, which are significantly costlier and I often referred to them as a 598 with better bass. There are many other differences but they are comparable across the board. Of all the headphones I have owned the 598s are something special and the only ones I decided to keep around through upgrades.

Jun 3, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #4,810 of 7,535
... I didn't like the transition from the mids into the lows where the woofer kicked in. Maybe bad crossover or a bad pairing.

Yes this is EXACTLY the issue. Getting a dynamic woofer to mate coherently with an electrostatic panel is nearly impossible.

Jun 5, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #4,812 of 7,535
Jun 5, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #4,814 of 7,535
Thanks. I prefer neutral bass and how is this compared to Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros?

I have to say the customs are great, completely different headphone from the 598 but the bass with adjustments can go from bloated and fun to a more accurate amount. For edm I would say the customs. for vocals, acustics,instrumental (which the customs are still pretty good at) 598. For rock I prefer the customs but some may prefer the 598.

Jun 5, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #4,815 of 7,535
Perhaps one of the worst choice for EDM, I'm afraid. TheHD598 is rather bass-light and its bass also lacks punch. Overall I think it's best for slower, more relaxing music

Thanks. I prefer neutral bass and how is this compared to Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros?

I simply can't think of any reasoning behind why people say the HD598 are light on bass. I am not jumping on a soapbox here and mean no disrespect but compared to what? Below shows you what I will use as a baseline for comparison.

On the left is the Panasonic RP-HTF600-S. With it's massive 50mm drivers they are considered to be a contender for 'King of the Bass Head'. On the far right are the Meelec Atlas, probably one of the most bass heavy on-ear headphones on the market. For balance I threw in the PSB M4U 1 and the Sennheiser Momentum. And just to show you how much I appreciate good, clean, and POWERFUL bass I included a shot of one of my speakers; Dual 8" 300W RMS woofers and a self powered 10" 500W RMS sub-woofer. And that is my right-rear channel.

In terms of overall bass quantity the rankings for Mid-bass/Sub-bass out of 10 are as followed:

Panasonic RP-HTF600-S: 10/10
Atlas: 11/11
Momentum and M4U 1: 8/8 (Although the PSB's bass quality compared to the rest is so off the chart it's like Thor's hammer vs a walnut)
HD598: 7/6

While not exactly in bass-head territory, 7/6 is a very solid score. My ears tell me that the HD598 handles sub-bass down to 27Hz before there is no longer only rumble. Even all of the various frequency curves from the headphone sites out there show the HD598's bass not too far behind the Momentums.

I just spent the past 3 hours A/B the Panasonic RP-HTF600-S against the HD598, listening to various Electronica artists such as Muse, KMFDM, Alfio, Freezepop, Audiomatic, Krama, Sideform and many more. Despite not doing so good with genres like Hard Rock, Metal, Punk, Alternative, and Hiphop and Rap, because of how clean the sound is with Electronica (yay computers!) it sounds superb!  Like shockingly good. The expansive sound-stage of the HD598 really adds to the listening experience. It's almost an enigma; they are average with the faster, louder Rock-type genres yet can handle the speed, power and energy for Electronica.

While I don't own a pair of Custom Ones, I can tell you how they compare against the DT 770 Pro. The HD598 are definitely more neutral while the beyers are in bass-head territory.

My 2 cents.

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back