1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by Headstar, Feb 22, 2011.
First

Back
313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322
324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333
Next

Last
  1. Frosty3258

I wouldn't be too worked about them being fake, although it is obviously a possibility. My computer had significant hissing and I purchased an odac/o2 combo. I haven't heard the modi bUT it seems to be very good and often compared with the 02. My deciding factor is I travel and the o2 was compact. Honestly I think the 598s sound just fine out of a phone so I imagine any neutral amp Dac should do great. As far as burn in you will adjust to the 598s presentation but I personally don't think the headphone changes. After a week or two of the 598 I would be curious to hear your impression of the dt990 if you still have them.

2. LEntless

Burn in? Just use at normal volumes. You will not notice much of a difference, but there is slightly increased lower mids when burned in. I know this as I burned in my 598's and then tried two new ones- all three back to back. They now sound exactly like mine.

3. biggbenn74
    Just pulled the trigger on a pair of these for $50! I think they'll be worth the money even if they just sit in my Passat back home. :)

4. Arsis
    New?

5. biggbenn74

Used, but still.

6. Arsis
    Absolutely!... $50 for new I would have suspected counterfeit. I love them, enjoy!
    :beerchug:

7. MAGICAL ESKIMO

Thanks for the replies guys :)
    I think I'll get the modi 2 as the one place in the UK that is an official reseller is fairly local to me.

I still have the DT990s so in a couple of weeks I will report back with my thoughts!

8. crazychile

I bought my pair off of amazon just a few weeks ago and they are real. Plus with their return policy your risk is pretty low.

9. mikoss
    Consider the Wyrd with it. I've heard from some very trustworthy people that it is a great combo.

10. deepfreeze

I'd hold off on the Wyrd. I borrowed a Modi 1 from a friend a year or so ago and it had all sorts of glitches and drop-outs if you even looked at it funny which the Wyrd fixed. However, I just got my Modi 2/Magni 2 stack and the Modi 2 runs perfectly on its own.

11. amnesiac75
    I liked the vali / modi combo with the hd598s a little better than magni/modi it was small and been over a year so it would be hard to describe the difference but remmember preferring the vali.

12. notfitforpublic
    x2 on the Vali. The touch of warmth from the Vali did wonders for both the 598 and 558.

13. silverfire
    Wow, still a steal.

14. WilliamLeonhart
    Yep but the Vali is a tube amp. 

I'm really interested in comparing the O2+ODAC vs the Magni Modi in term of transparency. Sold my DIY O2+ODAC the other day and now I'm pondering which pair to get, the Schitts or a new O2+ODAC (from JDS or Epiphany, with better build than my old one). 

First

Back
313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322
324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333
Next

Last