Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Feb 2, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #4,502 of 7,535
  I for one cannot tell a difference between flac and 320kbps mp3 ripped from the same source. Hell I probably can't even tell all the way down to 192 and usually go for VBR 0.

Shock. HORROR!  I AM AGHAST and AGOG!  (neither can I!! 
regular_smile .gif
   - in fact I hardly ever can tell Apple iTunes default encoding (256 kB/sec variable bit rate) and FLAC, and only (when I can) if I switch back and forth between two formats of the same music on the same system).

You probably won't be a candidate for my next new business venture to push the threshold of audiophile-dom... special gold power cords braided into Gordian knots with tantalum wall plugs and mohair insulation to connect your equipment to the wall in the manner most likely to make them sound best.

But maybe I can convince you that what you wear influences how you hear, and get you to buy my Couturier-Designed Shirtings for Headphone Listening:

Feb 3, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #4,503 of 7,535
Lol that thing is ridiculous! Mandatory Grado jumper suit worn by employees at their factory in order to ensure your audio products were manufactured while being infused with passion and love.

There are lots of things being said around these forums regarding sound quality. It's worth checking out if it doesn't cost anything like A/Bing the differences between different file types and formats. 

I am skeptical about cables as well, because I can't tell a difference between the stock HD598 and the new shorter ebay cable. That doesn't mean there aren't differences, and if I ever do get a chance to hear a $1000 Kevlar coated Thorium Germanium alloy hybrid cable that makes a difference, then I'll know better. I sure as hell won't spend $1000 based on impressions someone writes on here though. 

Back when my iPod classic was acting up, I decided to get one of the new highly regarded DAPs on the market - Ibasso DX90. There are people who claim that there is no discernible  sound quality differences between these "boutique" DAPs and smartphones, but I still got mine because I wanted a standalone DAP with expandable storage that had a boosted amp section. Functionality aside, after testing the DX90 vs my Nexus 5 I could hear a difference in sound quality with a wider soundstage while listening with my HD598. The difference isn't night and day, but side by side, it's quite significant. The more you know... the more you spend 
confused.gif

Feb 3, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #4,504 of 7,535
  Lol that thing is ridiculous! Mandatory Grado jumper suit worn by employees at their factory in order to ensure your audio products were manufactured while being infused with passion and love.

There are lots of things being said around these forums regarding sound quality. It's worth checking out if it doesn't cost anything like A/Bing the differences between different file types and formats. 

I am skeptical about cables as well, because I can't tell a difference between the stock HD598 and the new shorter ebay cable. That doesn't mean there aren't differences, and if I ever do get a chance to hear a $1000 Kevlar coated Thorium Germanium alloy hybrid cable that makes a difference, then I'll know better. I sure as hell won't spend $1000 based on impressions someone writes on here though. 

Back when my iPod classic was acting up, I decided to get one of the new highly regarded DAPs on the market - Ibasso DX90. There are people who claim that there is no discernible  sound quality differences between these "boutique" DAPs and smartphones, but I still got mine because I wanted a standalone DAP with expandable storage that had a boosted amp section. Functionality aside, after testing the DX90 vs my Nexus 5 I could hear a difference in sound quality with a wider soundstage while listening with my HD598. The difference isn't night and day, but side by side, it's quite significant. The more you know... the more you spend 
confused.gif

I didn't expect any differences in the cable but i realized eventually that the stock cable had more wamph in it while the Ebay cable was more crisp sounding though a little bunt sounding at the same time. Overall I found the Ebay cable to be worse than the stock cable so after 2 months of using it I switched back to the stock cable despite the inconvenient bulk.

Feb 6, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #4,506 of 7,535
Feb 6, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #4,510 of 7,535
Just got these today, and after a few hours of listening, my feelings on these are mixed.

While I like the soundstage and how comfy the earcups are (by the way, the overall look on these are beautiful), I find the instrument separation and layering not as good as I imagined. The detail on the highs are fatiguing to me, too, but really that depends on the song.

All in all though, it's definitely worth the money, so anyone out there who's considering to get it, just bite the bullet. You'll end up with headphones that definitely justify the $150 you'll spend on them. ^_^

Feb 7, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #4,513 of 7,535
Feb 7, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #4,514 of 7,535
Just got these today, and after a few hours of listening, my feelings on these are mixed.

While I like the soundstage and how comfy the earcups are (by the way, the overall look on these are beautiful), I find the instrument separation and layering not as good as I imagined. The detail on the highs are fatiguing to me, too, but really that depends on the song.

All in all though, it's definitely worth the money, so anyone out there who's considering to get it, just bite the bullet. You'll end up with headphones that definitely justify the $150 you'll spend on them. ^_^

I am curious to know which headphone you use that has better seperation and layering?

Feb 7, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #4,515 of 7,535

Just give them some time, they will nicely open!
At first, my HD598's sounded quite bad. But now, after uncountable number of playing hours and silver upgrade cable they are sublime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back