Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
May 1, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #3,616 of 7,535
hmm... I've heard the exact opposite, that k702 has a smaller soundstage compared to 598, but my point, have you tried both for comparison? If you haven't, then don't trust people online. I myself prefer akg over sennheiser, but no two people have exactly the same tastes, so don't take my word as the solid truth here.

I have both and once again you are just spitting out things you have read with no experience. The K/Q 702/701 has a gigantic soundstage only surpassed by the HD800 in my collection, so what you read is not true.. You have heard one model of the AKG and( I would assume based on your posts) one model of the Sennheiser, to formulate an opinion or especially before giving others advice, I would maybe listen to more then one model before saying I like brand X better then brand Y.  

May 1, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #3,617 of 7,535
   I have both and once again you are just spitting out things you have read with no experience. The K/Q 702/701 has a gigantic soundstage only surpassed by the HD800 in my collection, so what you read is not true.. You have heard one model of the AKG and( I would assume based on your posts) one model of the Sennheiser, to formulate an opinion or especially before giving others advice, I would maybe listen to more then one model before saying I like brand X better then brand Y.  

where has he said that he has only tried one model of Sennheiser and Akg?. are you just assuming that he did?that's a stupid assumption. you don't know how many models he tried.
but based on his impressions, i wouldn't take his words seriously.

May 1, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #3,618 of 7,535
  where has he said that he has only tried one model of Sennheiser and Akg?. are you just assuming that he did?that's a stupid assumption. you don't know how many models he tried.
but based on his impressions, i wouldn't take his words seriously.

That is what he stated on another post, so no it was not an assumption. I just think if you give advice you should have some sort of experience with the mentioned. People come to this site asking questions and get responses based off of "what I read" or" what I heard" and honestly, it wears thin after a while. My fault for disputing the fact that an inaccurate statement was made about headphones I can walk to my game room, listen to and give an experienced based opinion.

May 1, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #3,619 of 7,535
Oh, and on a different subject altogether, I believe I'll be upgrading from the hd598 to a hd700.  Much to my surprise, while on amazon I saw a pair of new HD700 for what I assume must have been a misentered value that after shipping cost me just under $310.  I personally have no experience with the seller, but I think I remember them being fairly reputable, as well as them having a 95% or so review rating over I think 12k reviews.  Got an email today that they shipped, so I'm quite excited about that.  I'm still thinking this is too good to be true, so until I see there's actually a HD700 in that box, I'll do my best to avoid getting my hopes up.

May 1, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #3,620 of 7,535
Oh, and on a different subject altogether, I believe I'll be upgrading from the hd598 to a hd700.  Much to my surprise, while on amazon I saw a pair of new HD700 for what I assume must have been a misentered value that after shipping cost me just under $310.  I personally have no experience with the seller, but I think I remember them being fairly reputable, as well as them having a 95% or so review rating over I think 12k reviews.  Got an email today that they shipped, so I'm quite excited about that.  I'm still thinking this is too good to be true, so until I see there's actually a HD700 in that box, I'll do my best to avoid getting my hopes up.
hmm... That seems awesome! I'll go look! I wonder if more is in stock!!!???

May 1, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #3,621 of 7,535

That's a crazy steal.  Good find.

May 2, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #3,626 of 7,535
Regarding questions on how the Sennheiser HD 598 compares to other headphones...

In this post:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/109756/rank-the-headphones-that-you-own/4095#post_10508731 ,

I selected the 12 most frequently-ranked headphones in the 1,000 most recent headphone rankings, extending back to November, 2013. There were 10 rankings of the HD 598 against the other 11 most-popular headphones, which I report in this picture (click to render it legible!):

The blue box at left cites the Sennheiser and the fact that it had a rank order of 0.36 (rounded down, of a possible range from 0.0, which is always being ranked at the top, a privilege reserved for the Sennheiser HD 800, to 0.58, or always being ranked at the bottom, as was the Koss PortaPro), as well as its price, both from Sennheiser and currently on amazon.com.

The 10 columns that follow are 10 persons' rank ordering of the Sennheiser HD 598 against 1 to 3 other of the 11 most-ranked headphones.  It consistently scores above the AKG K550 and the Audio-Technica ATH-M50.

Next are a few tables of my own detailed listening comparisons of the HD 598 against several other headphones, using a systematic set of 10 listening tests:

I used four "macro" tests that used all of the music, plus six "event-based" tests that compared the rendering of various small pieces of music, compared by repeating back and forth between two headphones.  I simply ranked the ability of each headphone first (3 points), second (2 points), or third (1 point) for each test.  More detail, including identity of the three songs, in this post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/704826/how-do-you-audition-compare-headphones#post_10254063 .

The macro tests were:

1. Transparency;
  2. Size, both horizontal and vertical, of sound stage;
  3. Resolution of position of two persons singing near each other;
  4. Volume of headphone with iPod turned up all the way.

The event-based tests were:

1. "Twang" of drumhead at entrance to Song 1;
  2. Preservation of features allowing me to determine pitch of bass notes in Song1 Verse 3)
  3. Finger pluck at start of bass notes at start of Song 2;
  4. Clarity of shaker, preserving differences of each shake, in Song 2 Verse 3;
  5. "Ripping" sound characteristic of horns and medium low reed organ pipes at start of Song 3;
  6. Ability to hear additional echoing chord stacked upon a huge bombast of sustained full orchestra and organ four beats later, in about third "verse" of Song 3.

Here is the result of my first comparison.  A 3 indicates that headphone was the best of the three in that test and contributes 3 points to an eventual headphone score totaled at the end... a 1 means it was the worst.  Someone has raised the reasonable objection that the HiFiMAN HE-500 was placed at a disadvantage, as it was not amplified (as was true with all comparisons) and since it has 1/130th of the efficiency of the Grado PS-500 (i.e., in sound pressure level in dB per mW of power), this is quite possible).

TestGrado PS-500HiFiMan HE-500Sennheiser HD-598
Transparency321
Width of sound st133
Positional resolution132
Volume213
Drum "twang"312
Bass pitch perception321
Bass finger pluck311
Shaker variation231
"Ripping" of organ/brass312
Discern added chord321
TOTAL241917

Here is a comparison of the HD 598 against the NAD VISO hp50 and the Beats Pro:

TestSennheiser HD 598NAD VISO hp50Beats Pro
Transparency312
Width of sound st312
Positional resolution312
Volume123
Drum "twang"231
Bass pitch perception321
Bass finger pluck231
Shaker variation321
"Ripping" of organ/brass321
Discern added chord312
TOTAL261816

And finally, here is a comparison against the Beats Studio 2013 (the newer better ones) and the Beats Pro:
TestSennheiser HD 598Beats Studio 2013Beats Pro
Transparency312
Width of sound st312
Positional resolution231
Volume132
Drum "twang"321
Bass pitch perception312
Bass finger pluck321
Shaker variation312
Discern added chord312
TOTAL271617

Since the scores of each table are based on the rank order of the Sennheiser against the other two headphones, it is quite reasonable for its score to change as the trio of headphones being ranked changes from table to table.

Finally, for those who are wondering about its unusual color, I am pleased to point out that its color scheme is very close to that of our Mercedes Benz 230 Kompressor automobile, another fine German product.  Note that the burl wood on the headphones matches the burl wood on the dash and that lines the windshield, and the beige headphones go with the beige instrument panel.

The picture shows also that I have upgraded my Sennheiser HD 598 with the 1.3-meter (shorter) cable that includes the 1/8" connector, rendering the headphone much more suited for accompanying an iPod or other portable music player and avoiding the size and weight of a larger 1/4" plug, the 1/4" - to - 1/8" converter, and 7 extra feet of cord.

Oh, and I have had these since January of 2012, or nearly 30 months now, and there has been NO cracking of the headband.  Wonderful headphones WELL worth the money.

May 2, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #3,627 of 7,535
  Regarding questions on how the Sennheiser HD 598 compares to other headphones...

In this post:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/109756/rank-the-headphones-that-you-own/4095#post_10508731 ,

I selected the 12 most frequently-ranked headphones in the 1,000 most recent headphone rankings, extending back to November, 2013. There were 10 rankings of the HD 598 against the other 11 most-popular headphones, which I report in this picture (click to render it legible!):

The blue box at left cites the Sennheiser and the fact that it had a rank order of 0.36 (rounded down, of a possible range from 0.0, which is always being ranked at the top, a privilege reserved for the Sennheiser HD 800, to 0.58, or always being ranked at the bottom, as was the Koss PortaPro), as well as its price, both from Sennheiser and currently on amazon.com.

The 10 columns that follow are 10 persons' rank ordering of the Sennheiser HD 598 against 1 to 3 other of the 11 most-ranked headphones.  It consistently scores above the AKG K550 and the Audio-Technica ATH-M50.

Next are a few tables of my own detailed listening comparisons of the HD 598 against several other headphones, using a systematic set of 10 listening tests:

I used four "macro" tests that used all of the music, plus six "event-based" tests that compared the rendering of various small pieces of music, compared by repeating back and forth between two headphones.  I simply ranked the ability of each headphone first (3 points), second (2 points), or third (1 point) for each test.  More detail, including identity of the three songs, in this post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/704826/how-do-you-audition-compare-headphones#post_10254063 .

The macro tests were:

1. Transparency;
  2. Size, both horizontal and vertical, of sound stage;
  3. Resolution of position of two persons singing near each other;
  4. Volume of headphone with iPod turned up all the way.

The event-based tests were:

1. "Twang" of drumhead at entrance to Song 1;
  2. Preservation of features allowing me to determine pitch of bass notes in Song1 Verse 3)
  3. Finger pluck at start of bass notes at start of Song 2;
  4. Clarity of shaker, preserving differences of each shake, in Song 2 Verse 3;
  5. "Ripping" sound characteristic of horns and medium low reed organ pipes at start of Song 3;
  6. Ability to hear additional echoing chord stacked upon a huge bombast of sustained full orchestra and organ four beats later, in about third "verse" of Song 3.

Here is the result of my first comparison.  A 3 indicates that headphone was the best of the three in that test and contributes 3 points to an eventual headphone score totaled at the end... a 1 means it was the worst.  Someone has raised the reasonable objection that the HiFiMAN HE-500 was placed at a disadvantage, as it was not amplified (as was true with all comparisons) and since it has 1/130th of the efficiency of the Grado PS-500 (i.e., in sound pressure level in dB per mW of power), this is quite possible).

TestGrado PS-500HiFiMan HE-500Sennheiser HD-598
Transparency321
Width of sound st133
Positional resolution132
Volume213
Drum "twang"312
Bass pitch perception321
Bass finger pluck311
Shaker variation231
Discern added chord321
TOTAL241917

Here is a comparison of the HD 598 against the NAD VISO hp50 and the Beats Pro:

TestSennheiser HD 598NAD VISO hp50Beats Pro
Transparency312
Width of sound st312
Positional resolution312
Volume123
Drum "twang"231
Bass pitch perception321
Bass finger pluck231
Shaker variation321
"Ripping" of organ/brass321
Discern added chord312
TOTAL261816

And finally, here is a comparison against the Beats Studio 2013 (the newer better ones) and the Beats Pro:
TestSennheiser HD 598Beats Studio 2013Beats Pro
Transparency312
Width of sound st312
Positional resolution231
Volume132
Drum "twang"321
Bass pitch perception312
Bass finger pluck321
Shaker variation312
Discern added chord312
TOTAL271617

Since the scores of each table are based on the rank order of the Sennheiser against the other two headphones, it is quite reasonable for its score to change as the trio of headphones being ranked changes from table to table.

Finally, for those who are wondering about its unusual color, I am pleased to point out that its color scheme is very close to that of our Mercedes Benz 230 Kompressor automobile, another fine German product.  Note that the burl wood on the headphones matches the burl wood on the dash and that lines the windshield, and the beige headphones go with the beige instrument panel.

The picture shows also that I have upgraded my Sennheiser HD 598 with the 1.3-meter (shorter) cable that includes the 1/8" connector, rendering the headphone much more suited for accompanying an iPod or other portable music player and avoiding the size and weight of a larger 1/4" plug, the 1/4" - to - 1/8" converter, and 7 extra feet of cord.

Oh, and I have had these since January of 2012, or nearly 30 months now, and there has been NO cracking of the headband.  Wonderful headphones WELL worth the money.

+1 I've had these headphones for a few months and I am still loving them!

Cheers and happy Friday! 
wink.gif

May 4, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #3,630 of 7,535
Guys, please do NOT reply to inappropriate or abusive posts. It is the same as if you posted it yourself. Why you all would want to broadcast something that craps on a person or thread is beyond me. In the future just flag such posts and then ignore them. 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back