Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
May 5, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #3,632 of 7,535
@Currawong Alright, will follow your advice and tame my strong sense of having to say something when I see injustice.

Back to topic:

@kayandjohn The HD598 is still one of my favorite headphones, thanks for your comparison, really interesting to read your observations.

Cheers,
K

May 6, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #3,634 of 7,535
Funny how the 598's are considered "only good for movies and games". Obviously it's a very very under appreciated pair of headphones...

A HD598 and a Grado... With these two, its almost everything you may need at home for <$300 /pair IMO. 

The HD598 has a very good imaging and it is what makes it great for movies and gaming. The added warm sounds fun to me xD Indeed underrated.. 

May 6, 2014 at 3:18 AM Post #3,635 of 7,535
Yeah, that underrated that they're the 5th highest rated over ear headphone on headfi!

May 6, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #3,637 of 7,535
Funny how the 598's are considered "only good for movies and games". Obviously it's a very very under appreciated pair of headphones...

Yes, that's funny. And totally wrong. I love them to bits, just gave them new ear pads after 3 years - not because the old ones where bad sounding, I just felt, since they are velours - for hygienic reasons, hair products etc. better change them. 

They are VERY good for movies and games but they are brilliant for music. It's one of the headphones I will never sell.

May 6, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #3,638 of 7,535
  A HD598 and a Grado... With these two, its almost everything you may need at home for <$300 /pair IMO. 

The HD598 has a very good imaging and it is what makes it great for movies and gaming. The added warm sounds fun to me xD Indeed underrated.. 

Agree with you, modded HD558 and earpad swapped MS1i right here, good for a long time to come
tongue.gif
 (unless MS2i)

Also Koolpep, the sound will actually become more lush and warm as they get softer losing clarity along the way, the difference between new eapads and very soft ones is like the difference between the HD700 and HD650.

May 6, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #3,640 of 7,535
Yeah, that underrated that they're the 5th highest rated over ear headphone on headfi!

Have a high rate, but only a few love it. Most people think: if you have a 598 you don't ever heard any "higher end" model like, you know, 600/650. This happens with Grado?, I don't think so.
Because everyone who buy a sr60i for example is not precisely because he is a noob, it's because that pair have a "good value" for most people, and that's is. I can't say the same with 598's, because everyone think you buy a 598's not because the bang for buck, people think you buy it because you are a noob and haven't heard any better pair...

This is my opinion, of course, and I think the 598's is under appreciated because that.
I also think it's underappreciated because, as for me, it takes a long time to adjust to the benefits of this can, especially coming from anything faster and brighter, such as Grados. It took me months to start really enjoying the smooth and laid back character of the 598s and only my perseverance and very broad musical tastes saved me from getting rid of them. They simply don't work for many genres yet with other music are the perfect choice for late night chill out listening (especially with their supreme comfort). I too will never sell my 598s now as they do so many things that no other can in my collection can. Also, they look glorious to me and are always such a joy to put on and power up. Uniquely designed and sounding cans that are a beautiful example of a pair of artful and sweet headphones. Love the 598s (eventually!)

May 6, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #3,641 of 7,535
Hi guys, I know HD 598 is great at basically everything, but is one of its strong genres ballads? I'm mainly interested in how good the vocals sound.

I have a V-Moda M100 to take care of my fav genres, but I also love ballads/acoustic versions of songs and was hoping 598 could fill that out.

May 6, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #3,643 of 7,535
  Hi guys, I know HD 598 is great at basically everything, but is one of its strong genres ballads? I'm mainly interested in how good the vocals sound.

I have a V-Moda M100 to take care of my fav genres, but I also love ballads/acoustic versions of songs and was hoping 598 could fill that out.

Much as I like the Sennheiser HD 598, it does NOT actively grab me by the throat and shake me with low bass on bass-rich pieces, as for example does the Sennheiser CX-300II IEMs or the Beats Studio 2013 or Beats Pro.  But that is the ONLY thing they don't do well, in my opinion. And very few headphones that CAN do that, including those that I just mentioned, have the transparency, pitch clarity, and impact speed that the HD 598s do!

May 6, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #3,644 of 7,535
Haha, bass is not a problem for me since I have another headphone for that :) What about HD 598 in regards to purely vocals/slow ballads?

I'm mainly interested in these: Open, great soundstage, great vocals and good for slow ballads. From what I read, HD 598 fits the bill except I haven't found much info about its performance on slow ballads.

May 7, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #3,645 of 7,535
  Haha, bass is not a problem for me since I have another headphone for that :) What about HD 598 in regards to purely vocals/slow ballads?

I'm mainly interested in these: Open, great soundstage, great vocals and good for slow ballads. From what I read, HD 598 fits the bill except I haven't found much info about its performance on slow ballads.

Well, sure! The HD 598's aren't particularly fast and their mids are fairly forward, making vocals much more intimate and realistic. IMO, the HD 598's fare best with acoustic, slow music. Hope that helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back