Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Jul 12, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #7,051 of 7,535
Holly crap I just noticed massdrop HD650 for 199$! Now I just don't know what to do.... Should I cancel my HD598 order for 100$ and get HD650? Mind you I don't posses a set of amps and my primary use for open back headphones is PC and laptop.

I personally prefer my 598s over my husbands 650s. The clamp on the 650 made it impossible to give them a fair chance though. As you realize, the 650s need a lot of amping. The 598 does benefit from an amp as well. Adding a small portable amp would be nice. Massdrop takes ages before you get them... if I need or want something I want it now if I have the money. With massdrop you pay now and then wait...and wait...and wait...

What is the impedance on the Massdrop offering?

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #7,052 of 7,535
I personally prefer my 598s over my husbands 650s. The clamp on the 650 made it impossible to give them a fair chance though. As you realize, the 650s need a lot of amping. The 598 does benefit from an amp as well. Adding a small portable amp would be nice. Massdrop takes ages before you get them... if I need or want something I want it now if I have the money. With massdrop you pay now and then wait...and wait...and wait...

What is the impedance on the Massdrop offering?
Spec-wise everything is the same except different color and shorter cable. Impedence is standard 300ohm. I'm aware it won't be very good with portable devices, but like I said my primary use for big headphones is home use with PC and laptop. Will a standard PC motherboard be enough to drive 300ohms phones?

From what I've read many people say 598 sound distant more relaxed and neutral, even "boring", while 650 is more fun, darker and bassier (for that I'm sure).

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #7,053 of 7,535
Holly crap I just noticed massdrop HD650 for 199$! Now I just don't know what to do.... Should I cancel my HD598 order for 100$ and get HD650? Mind you I don't posses a set of amps and my primary use for open back headphones is PC and laptop.
Personally, I'd go for the 650... and if you want to make it as portable as the 598, invest in a shorter cable and in a good, lower priced portable amp like the Cayin C5

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #7,055 of 7,535
I can't answer that for you. I added an inexpensive amp to my desktop setup to use with all my phones. I know some people get better soundcards and then still add amps. Don,t go down the rabbit hole! There is no end! Stick with the 598 for now. They will always have a place even if you decide later to get more gear. There are many choices in every price range.

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #7,056 of 7,535
In fact, the DAP I use has enough output power to sufficiently push the HD650s. Depending on your equipment, you might not even need a portable amp.

He did say he had a standard PC motherboard and laptop...

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #7,057 of 7,535
Spec-wise everything is the same except different color and shorter cable. Impedence is standard 300ohm. I'm aware it won't be very good with portable devices, but like I said my primary use for big headphones is home use with PC and laptop. Will a standard PC motherboard be enough to drive 300ohms phones?

From what I've read many people say 598 sound distant more relaxed and neutral, even "boring", while 650 is more fun, darker and bassier (for that I'm sure).

I usually go for relaxed but it actually sounds like you would love the Mezes but they are closed. I love my Mezes. Confused yet?

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #7,059 of 7,535
I usually go for relaxed but it actually sounds like you would love the Mezes but they are closed. I love my Mezes. Confused yet?
I used to have the Meze's, and regret selling them. But they're $309... unless you can find someone like me to sell them to you. But they should hold you over for a long time.. not make you want anything else for a while

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #7,062 of 7,535
I've had 598CS for a while the bass was totally enough for me it was well refined and crunchy, but I fear 598SR bass might be weaker. For whatever reason I started to believe 650 posses bass from 598CS and other benefits from 598SE/SR :)

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #7,063 of 7,535
Well in that case I might end up with both phones :D In case I don't like 598 i will hve a month to send them back. In case 650 won't be a big step up over 598 I should easily sell them at a price I got them :wink:

They both have different sound signatures, so you might end up keeping both. I prefer the 598 over the 6XX for certain genres, e.g. orchestra/classical and then some tracks from other genres that requires a cleaner/leaner sound, faster PRaT with extended highs and wider soundstage. I wouldn't classify 598 as boring, especially compared to 6XX which is more laidback and smooth.

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #7,064 of 7,535
They both have different sound signatures, so you might end up keeping both. I prefer the 598 over the 6XX for certain genres, e.g. orchestra/classical and then some tracks from other genres that requires a cleaner/leaner sound, faster PRaT with extended highs and wider soundstage. I wouldn't classify 598 as boring, especially compared to 6XX which is more laidback and smooth.
Having multiple phones for different genres is my worst nightmare :wink: I'm pracital person and ultimately I prefer stick to one product. Out of them which do you think is more universal all arounder?
One thing that really bothers me about HD650 ist the double sided cable, but I might get used to this.

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #7,065 of 7,535
They definitely have distinctive sound signatures, although they still sound related... But I too prefer the 598 over the 650 for certain genres, especially because the 598s have more sound stage, which creates a different listening experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back