Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Jun 1, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #7,026 of 7,535
Thanks! Color and cable doesn't matter to me if sound same of regular HD 598. The headband is worst ou better comparing regular version?
From what I've read on here, most people like the new headband better than the old one. When I had the 598 Cs, I thought the headband was a bit more comfortable than the puffy headband of my ivory 598, which is still quite comfortable. Some complained that the original puffy headband put a little too much pressure on the top of the head.

Thanks! Since I can't find HD 598SE anymore, I 'll buy SR version.

HD 599 have a real difference to justify $90 in price?
Unlikely. Some have said the 599 does sound different than 598, though.

Jun 1, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #7,027 of 7,535
It's the same headband as the SE/Cs version. Personally I like it better than the original "marshmallow" style but YMMV as always.
Actually, the SE has the original puffy headband, same as ivory 598. SE only changes color and adds an extra short cable. Cs is closed back and sounds very different than the open back 598s (ivory, SE, SR). I would consider the Cs a 598 in name only. I've read it's similar, and possibly identical sounding, to HD 569.

Jun 1, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #7,028 of 7,535
Actually, the SE has the original puffy headband, same as ivory 598. SE only changes color and adds an extra short cable. Cs is closed back and sounds very different than the open back 598s (ivory, SE, SR). I would consider the Cs a 598 in name only. I've read it's similar, and possibly identical sounding, to HD 569.

Cool. Thanks for the correction!

Personally, I love the 598 Cs.

Jun 2, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #7,029 of 7,535
Jun 2, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #7,030 of 7,535
I was just thinking. Sennheiser really listens to its customers. They've addressed the most common complaints about the HD 598 (not that there were many). Biggest complaint was that many people, including myself, thought that they can be a bit light in the bass at times. It appears this was addressed with the release of the HD 599. Another common complaint was that the puffy (or marshmallow) style headband could put a bit too much pressure on top of the head (something I noticed when they were new, but have either broken in or I got used to them). Senn introduced a much more comfortable, smooth headband with the HD 598 SR. Another big complaint was that it only came in ivory when released. Senn introduced the SE and SR models, both black. Some people wanted shorter cables. Senn added those too with the SE and SR.

I gained much respect for Sennheiser when I first heard my ivory 598s, which validated all the acclaim I've heard and read about the company over the years. I have even more respect for them now seeing as how they listen to their customers and use that feedback to improve their products. Great job, Sennheiser! Keep doing what you're doing.

Jun 2, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #7,031 of 7,535
The HD 599 does have more bass than the 598, and I'd say it's pretty good for an open headphone. But both still have the muddy high-bass/low-mid that most Sennheisers have, and in my experience the high-bass bump is more of an issue than the lacking low-bass. DT 990 is slightly better balanced in that regard.

Jun 2, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #7,032 of 7,535
The HD 599 does have more bass than the 598, and I'd say it's pretty good for an open headphone. But both still have the muddy high-bass/low-mid that most Sennheisers have, and in my experience the high-bass bump is more of an issue than the lacking low-bass. DT 990 is slightly better balanced in that regard.
Agree that the elevated high bass and low mids is not ideal if one is looking for a neutral sound signature, but most 598 owners will tell you that they enjoy the added warmth. It gives the sound a fullness and body and makes them sound more musical and lush. Sure they color the sound but in a way that most people enjoy. The 598s are not for anyone looking for mixing/mastering.

Great review, btw.

Jun 5, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #7,033 of 7,535
Rtings.com has finally reviewed the HD 599. They say it has better bass response than the 598 (most people's biggest complaint about 598). First link is the review. Second link compares both cans' frequency response curves. You can see that 599 has more low bass, but also has a bit of a dip in the high mids. Otherwise, the 2 curves are very similar.

http://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sennheiser/hd-599

http://www.rtings.com/headphones/graph#408/323/246

I read the review but let more undecided what headphone to buy. Since I don't live in US my options is very small, Sennheiser is easier to find in budget around 200~250.

Today I have an Audio Techinica ADH-AD700x, its great for gaming but poor for music and movies(almost no bass), so I'm looking for one all around headphone for Gaming 70% and 30% music and movies. I was Intending to buy HD 598 but more bass of HD 599 let me in doubt ('cause AD700x lack of bass) but I'm note sure about bass 'cause a year ago I had HD 518 and I don't like, I think HD 518 has too much bass and affect my gameplay.

Jun 5, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #7,034 of 7,535

Interesting to know that they did actually tweak the sound some. A touch more bass is welcome for sure.

Jun 5, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #7,035 of 7,535
I read the review but let more undecided what headphone to buy. Since I don't live in US my options is very small, Sennheiser is easier to find in budget around 200~250.

Today I have an Audio Techinica ADH-AD700x, its great for gaming but poor for music and movies(almost no bass), so I'm looking for one all around headphone for Gaming 70% and 30% music and movies. I was Intending to buy HD 598 but more bass of HD 599 let me in doubt ('cause AD700x lack of bass) but I'm note sure about bass 'cause a year ago I had HD 518 and I don't like, I think HD 518 has too much bass and affect my gameplay.
I know a lot of people use 598 specifically for gaming and really like them. They're also quite good for music and movies. I can't really comment on the 599 because I've never actually heard it, but looking at the frequency response curves of both 598 and 599 that rtings.com provides, the increase in bass seems to be pretty much all low bass. The mid-high bass seems to be virtually identical between the 2 headphones. This should mean the midrange and high frequencies shouldn't really be affected much, if at all, by the increase in low bass, between the 2. In other words, there shouldn't be a big difference for gaming purposes. If I were you, I would personally go with the cheaper and proven product for gaming - the 598. Of course, it's up to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back