Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
May 24, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #6,992 of 7,535
Nope, I actually have a more important question. Are the 598, 598SR and 598SE basically the same except the color and band(and cable)? Same sound quality? I have to place and order on Amazon IT(598SR on sale) before it's sold out, so it is a little bit urgent.

How it appears to me:

Original HD 598 - Only available in "Ivory." Comes with one cable. The long one with no remote. Includes an adapter. "Marshmallow" headband.

HD 598 SE - Black only. Comes with both a long cable and a short cable. No button remote. No adapter. "Marshmallow" headband.

HD 598 SR - As above only with the headband from the 598 Cs closed back. Only available in Black.

As far as I can tell all three use exactly the same transducers and have the exact same physical "E.A.R" setup.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I love my 598 originals. If the SR is in fact different in terms of drivers/performance then I want to know...

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #6,993 of 7,535
Nope, I actually have a more important question. Are the 598, 598SR and 598SE basically the same except the color and band(and cable)? Same sound quality? I have to place and order on Amazon IT(598SR on sale) before it's sold out, so it is a little bit urgent.
Get the 598SR. They are all the same, but the 598SR headband is better.

May 24, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #6,994 of 7,535
Get the 598SR. They are all the same, but the 598SR headband is better.

Yeah, that's my take too. I love the squishy original headband on the 598, but having owned the 598 Cs for a couple weeks now I think I might prefer the new one. That said, if you already have a pair of 598s you'll probably want to stick with those, as the only difference is the headband and color (and the short mic remote cable.)

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #6,995 of 7,535
How it appears to me:

Original HD 598 - Only available in "Ivory." Comes with one cable. The long one with no remote. Includes an adapter. "Marshmallow" headband.

HD 598 SE - Black and Ivory. Comes with both the long cable and the short mic/button cable. No adapter. "Marshmallow" headband.

HD 598 SR - As above only with the headband from the 598 Cs closed back. Only available in Black.

As far as I can tell all three use exactly the same transducers and have the exact same physical "E.A.R" setup.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I love my 598 originals. If the SR is in fact different in terms of drivers/performance then I want to know...
One correction - The short cable that comes with HD 598 SE has no remote button/mic. It is a simple short cable.

May 24, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #6,997 of 7,535
Don't discount the CS, unless you are against closed headphones, as they are currently €70~ cheaper than the €172 SR on your Amazon. Seems like the best bang/buck to me.

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #6,999 of 7,535
Thanks for the answers, I'll simply go with the SR.
Don't discount the CS, unless you are against closed headphones, as they are currently €70~ cheaper than the €172 SR on your Amazon. Seems like the best bang/buck to me.
I've tried few weeks ago an open headphone for the first time (a friend's 598) and I immediately fell in love with them. Open is now my priority.

May 24, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #7,001 of 7,535
I emailed Sennheiser to ask them if I could order the mic cable from the 598Cs since I miss it since getting the 598SE. They told me the part number is 572281 and it's like $26. Totally worth it in my opinion if you plan on using these with your phone like I do around the house or when working.

May 24, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #7,002 of 7,535
How it appears to me:

HD 598 SE - Black and Ivory. Comes with both a long cable and a short cable. No button remote. No adapter. "Marshmallow" headband.

The HD 598 SE, the one that comes with both a long cable and short cable (no button remote), is only available in black, not ivory.

May 26, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #7,003 of 7,535
They're finally here. I can't really say if they are 100% identical to the standard 598, but they probably are. There is one thing that really bothers me: I think there is something wrong with the right headphone. The left one is really comfortable, as if my ear were floating inside the headphone (just as I remembered while using my friend's 598), but the right one's inside really touches my ear(as if it were smaller), and after some minutes it's annoying. I tried my friend's 598 for quite some time, so I know it's not my ears that have different sizes, and I immediately noticed it while wearing these new ones for the first time. Feels weird. Might return it and just go with the regular 598.

May 26, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #7,004 of 7,535
They're finally here. I can't really say if they are 100% identical to the standard 598, but they probably are. There is one thing that really bothers me: I think there is something wrong with the right headphone. The left one is really comfortable, as if my ear were floating inside the headphone (just as I remembered while using my friend's 598), but the right one's inside really touches my ear(as if it were smaller), and after some minutes it's annoying. I tried my friend's 598 for quite some time, so I know it's not my ears that have different sizes, and I immediately noticed it while wearing these new ones for the first time. Feels weird. Might return it and just go with the regular 598.
Could be a combination of both, your ears and the headphones. The ones you got could be could be uniformly smaller than your friend's AND your one ear sticks out just a tad more than the other. Could just be the headphones themselves. It could also be that the padding got more compressed in the box on one side versus the other. I'd give them about a week, and keep using them. Don't put them back in the box. Let them breathe. If it's the earpad, it may decompress. If they're still off after that, consider exchanging for an identical pair, if you like this style/color/features.

How do they sound?

May 27, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #7,005 of 7,535
Could be a combination of both, your ears and the headphones. The ones you got could be could be uniformly smaller than your friend's AND your one ear sticks out just a tad more than the other. Could just be the headphones themselves. It could also be that the padding got more compressed in the box on one side versus the other. I'd give them about a week, and keep using them. Don't put them back in the box. Let them breathe. If it's the earpad, it may decompress. If they're still off after that, consider exchanging for an identical pair, if you like this style/color/features.

How do they sound?
The sound just fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back