Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Jun 6, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #7,036 of 7,535
I read the review but let more undecided what headphone to buy. Since I don't live in US my options is very small, Sennheiser is easier to find in budget around 200~250.

Today I have an Audio Techinica ADH-AD700x, its great for gaming but poor for music and movies(almost no bass), so I'm looking for one all around headphone for Gaming 70% and 30% music and movies. I was Intending to buy HD 598 but more bass of HD 599 let me in doubt ('cause AD700x lack of bass) but I'm note sure about bass 'cause a year ago I had HD 518 and I don't like, I think HD 518 has too much bass and affect my gameplay.
I own both the Senns. HD518 and HD598. The 518's have a bit more bass and lower mid-range than the 598's, so they sound a little bassier than the 598's. The 598's also have a bit more upper mid-range and treble. They sound a little brighter with a more open and airy sound than the 518's.
As far as bass goes, if the 518's were too bassy for you, the 598's would probably work better for you. However, I've never heard the AD 700x, so I don't know if the 598's will have too much or too little bass for you.

Jun 6, 2017 at 7:15 AM Post #7,037 of 7,535
I know a lot of people use 598 specifically for gaming and really like them. They're also quite good for music and movies. I can't really comment on the 599 because I've never actually heard it, but looking at the frequency response curves of both 598 and 599 that rtings.com provides, the increase in bass seems to be pretty much all low bass. The mid-high bass seems to be virtually identical between the 2 headphones. This should mean the midrange and high frequencies shouldn't really be affected much, if at all, by the increase in low bass, between the 2. In other words, there shouldn't be a big difference for gaming purposes. If I were you, I would personally go with the cheaper and proven product for gaming - the 598. Of course, it's up to you.

Thanks LazyListener! I think I'll buy a 598, almost $100 price difference.

I own both the Senns. HD518 and HD598. The 518's have a bit more bass and lower mid-range than the 598's, so they sound a little bassier than the 598's. The 598's also have a bit more upper mid-range and treble. They sound a little brighter with a more open and airy sound than the 518's.
As far as bass goes, if the 518's were too bassy for you, the 598's would probably work better for you. However, I've never heard the AD 700x, so I don't know if the 598's will have too much or too little bass for you.

Thanks! After reading this I think HD 598 is a nice option to balanced bass for me.

Jul 11, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #7,039 of 7,535
Jul 11, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #7,040 of 7,535
Jul 11, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #7,041 of 7,535
Picking the CS up myself for the same price. Interested to compare the comfort and sound to the ol' beige marshmallows which I always found comfortable and pleasing.

I've had my CSs for a while. They sound very good for the price tier. They have a different signature than he original 598, but they're exceptionally open sounding for closed cans. I really like mine.

Jul 11, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #7,042 of 7,535
The deal also kicked off on amazon.com for 110$ https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-H...d=1499784851&sr=8-3&keywords=sennheiser+hd598

Picking the CS up myself for the same price. Interested to compare the comfort and sound to the ol' beige marshmallows which I always found comfortable and pleasing.
New band is much more durable and in my opinion more comfortable. Old band is better looking, but problematic

I paid nearly twice that a year ago for my Sennheiser HD598SE...still love them!
Got CS last year for 99$, loved them but they were picky with some music genres so I returned them. Also due to dirt-magnet velvet material, which I don't think is time-proof.
Many years ago I was given 598 ivory, right when they premiered on the market. also returned them due to infamous cracking problem they suffered at a time

Not a big fanboy of 598 whatever color/incarnation though.... I just wanted a decent open back headphones for gaming, occasional music, movies and youtube :) I'm very well aware of they're shortcomings, but the 89E/100$ deal was simply irresistable :wink: My guess is at that price these are pretty hard to beat!

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #7,043 of 7,535
The deal also kicked off on amazon.com for 110$ https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-H...d=1499784851&sr=8-3&keywords=sennheiser+hd598

New band is much more durable and in my opinion more comfortable. Old band is better looking, but problematic

Got CS last year for 99$, loved them but they were picky with some music genres so I returned them. Also due to dirt-magnet velvet material, which I don't think is time-proof.
Many years ago I was given 598 ivory, right when they premiered on the market. also returned them due to infamous cracking problem they suffered at a time

Not a big fanboy of 598 whatever color/incarnation though.... I just wanted a decent open back headphones for gaming, occasional music, movies and youtube :) I'm very well aware of they're shortcomings, but the 89E/100$ deal was simply irresistable :wink: My guess is at that price these are pretty hard to beat!

I think you will be happy. They are great all arounders. I have many headphones that are considered "better" but I am always comfortable and satisfied when I use my 598s. I probably would have never gotten them if they had not come out with the black SE version. Not a fan of ivory headphones. I have tried on my husband's CS pair and because I found the clamp to be too much for me I never really compared the sound. I also prefer my headband to the new style but that's just me.

Jul 11, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #7,044 of 7,535
I think you will be happy. They are great all arounders. I have many headphones that are considered "better" but I am always comfortable and satisfied when I use my 598s. I probably would have never gotten them if they had not come out with the black SE version. Not a fan of ivory headphones. I have tried on my husband's CS pair and because I found the clamp to be too much for me I never really compared the sound. I also prefer my headband to the new style but that's just me.

I completely agree with this. They're super all rounders, especially if you already own and like the 59xxx open backs. They won't blow anyone's mind, but they're great work horse cans at a steal of a price.

Jul 11, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #7,045 of 7,535
I think they're outstanding headphones, especially for the price... In recent months, I've sold nearly the entirety of my headphone inventory but I've held onto to these as testament .

I was tempted to buy the HD 598SR during the Prime Deal, thinking there might be an upgrade to the sound.. but it looks like the change is only cosmetically to the headband. So I got a "Like New" Thinksound ON2 at a huge discount, instead.

Jul 11, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #7,046 of 7,535
I think they're outstanding headphones, especially for the price... In recent months, I've sold nearly the entirety of my headphone inventory but I've held onto to these as testament .

I was tempted to buy the HD 598SR during the Prime Deal, thinking there might be an upgrade to the sound.. but it looks like the change is only cosmetically to the headband. So I got a "Like New" Thinksound ON2 at a huge discount, instead.

Great decision! I have had my Thinksound ON1 for about a year now and I love it. The ON2 is meant to be a slight upgrade in sound and build.

Jul 11, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #7,047 of 7,535
Great decision! I have had my Thinksound ON1 for about a year now and I love it. The ON2 is meant to be a slight upgrade in sound and build.

I've been uncertain about buying the ON2 given that Thinksound doesn't have the pedigree of, let's say, Sennheiser, but then I stumbled upon the deal and just had to get them. I've never read anything bad about them. Even my beloved HD 598s has its detractors.

Jul 11, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #7,048 of 7,535
For the price the 598SR seems to be a simple choice for a decent pair of cans from Amazon.ca for 109 bucks on sale.

Little while ago the Denon MM400 were just a little above the $300 cdn price but that was probably one of the best SQ in that price range. I'll probably be picking up the 598sr for my 8yrs old. Since it's open HP she can hear me scream when it's time to get off the roblox game on the PC....LOL!!

Jul 12, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #7,049 of 7,535
Holly crap I just noticed massdrop HD650 for 199$! Now I just don't know what to do.... Should I cancel my HD598 order for 100$ and get HD650? Mind you I don't posses a set of amps and my primary use for open back headphones is PC and laptop.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back