Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Jul 13, 2017 at 4:43 AM Post #7,081 of 7,535
It's Mid-centric according to this: https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD598.pdf

But I could be reading it wrong.
Testing methodologies among testers/reviewers are not all the same, especially when it comes to the target/correction curve (theoretical flat). It's more important to compare frequencies levels relative to each other within a graph, rather than graphs from different testers/websites. For example, that graph you posted shows that the bass is elevated and there's a bit of a treble spike around 10kHz compared with the midrange frequencies. The rtings graph I posted also shows this and I did say the low mids are elevated. But both rtings.com and innerfidelity.com graphs for 598 show a slight v-shaped signature with bass and treble slightly elevated compared to the middle frequencies. Also, anything above about 10kHz is going to be all over the place on any FR chart. The difference between 10kHz and 20kHz are in reality is very small, so there the variations are magnified. If you were to take any portion of the FR range and zoom in on it to see it on a finer scale, you would see similar variations (it wouldn't look as smooth). A lot of the sound information above 10kHZ is not of much value, both in terms of testing and hearing.

Now for comparison, take a look at the HD 650 graph from the same website you linked. https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD650.pdf Zoom in on both the 598 graph and the 650 graph and compare the 2. You will see that the 650 graph is a bit closer to flat line, with more of a treble roll off, than the 598.

Neither headphone is mid-centric. The 598 is slightly v-shaped (don't take "V" literally, it just means mids are recessed compared to bass/treble). The 650 is closer to flat than 598. This is how I heard them as well.

Jul 13, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #7,082 of 7,535
Interesting, because I've just watched some comparison review and he says 598SE are rather A-shaped than V-shaped....

I did buy SE after I send my 598CS back, but my time with 598SE was so brief I really couldn't evaluate them properly. I was pissed for the headband and totally different signature than CS, which after time spent with closed back appeared to me as inferior, not to mention different than from what I remember about 598 ivory few years back (then againg distant memory can be misleading...). Figured out why not try the newest incarnation under the name 598SR. The 89 euros offer was too good to skip :) We'll see this time I will definetly give them more than a few hours :wink:

If you ask many will say 598 need a decent amp too. When it comes to HD650 I spent the whole night thinking and reading every possible forum, reviews, YT. Literally everyone is saying different contradictory things. Some say they need expensive amp, other say it's totally fine plugged straight to a decent motherboard or dedicated sound card. Some respectable reviewers like linus tech tips even say they sound miles better with just iphone than any HD under 300$. So ultimately I wouldn't know anything for sure if I don't check out for myself. It really doesn't hurt to have them at 199$ and from here in time of course I can get an amp, meanwhile don't expect them to sound like pure crap with my PC. That's why few hours ago I joined the dropp :) I think even if I stick to both of them it's gonna be totally worth it looking at the numbers they both cost me 300$, which is a fantastic deal. Basically I'm buying HD650 at a very reasonable price (even lower than amazon) with "free" HD598SR :)
And let's be honest I've read your posts and I know you'll be getting back to HD650 sooner or later :) You set the goal that you need some more serious amp for them and that's fine. Maybe I come to similar conclusion, but even then I probably still be keeping them considering how cheapo they are on massdrop. Plus I really love navy blue color scheme super stylish for me.

With respect, that youtube reviewer appears to be speaking from a purely subjective standpoint, whereas all the actual objective frequency response charts I've seen of the open back 598s do not show a mid-centric (A-shaped) sound signature. True, there is no universally agreed upon reference for a flat frequency response, but I believe most testers use a variation of the Harman response curve. I'll stick with the professional reviews that use professional equipment and identical testing methodologies across all the headphones they test, rather than someone's strictly subjective opinion, when it comes to describing FR/tonal balance/sound signature.

I think you did the right thing with the 6xx. Since you're willing to wait for 6xx, had the $300 to spend on both and think it's a good deal (and I agree, it really is, for both), then I think you got a great deal on some great cans. Congratulations! I'm not totally sold on the 650s. Maybe someday when I can justify their price (with at least $300 extra factored in for a good amp), I may get them again, but for now, the 598s with my cheap Fiio E10K or Dragonfly 1.2 when I want a bit more detail/clarity, are all the headphone I need.

In terms of needing an amp... in terms of volume, a cheap amp will work just fine, but I find the 650 sounding a bit thin/lifeless/boring out of my iphone. A bit better out of the E10K. And again, even better (except for soundstage) out of the Magni 2. They become more alive and dynamic the more quality power you feed them. As many have said, they scale nicely with better amps. The 598 benefits from an amp, but not nearly as much as 650. They don't scale as much with better quality amplification. IMO, they sound pretty great out of an iphone. So a lot of the comments you read, you have to take with a huge grain of salt, because if someone only ever heard 650 from an iphone or laptop, they can't say how much better it sounds with a good quality dedicated amp, so to them they may sound great and they'll say they don't need an amp (but you may want one). You need to know others' full experience and points of reference and comparison to have a good understanding of their comments.

I was just a bit confused why you decided to get SR after complaining about the SE, since they're supposed to sound identical. I totally understand wanting to get a second listen and spending more time with them. I hope you do and end up enjoying them (and finally realize how much better they sound than the 598 Cs :)).

You will always read a bunch of subjective, contradictory opinions online. That's why it's always best to try for yourself, and another reason I think you did the right thing here. Like you said, if you don't like the SR, you can return them, or even sell them and still get your money back. And the 6xx, you'll be able to sell, but will likely lose a bit on them, as Massdrop has sold something like 20 thousand of them so far this year. I just hope the quality doesn't suffer with over 20 thousand still to be made and delivered in about 5 months. I heard the quality of the AKG K7xx suffered in later drops due to the massive amount of orders and promised delivery time.

Jul 13, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #7,083 of 7,535
Yeah I really hope 598SR will be at least a little V-shaped, since it's a promise for them to be fun sounding and not boring... Who knows maybe after serious burn-in they'll be finally enjoyable. I'll definetly test them in this regard as well as other aspects.

Part of the reason why I've decided to plunge in massdrop deal was that to me HD650 always has been and still is an ultimate gem when it comes to headphones. There's really no higher goal for me since I don't and never will plan to spend more than 300$ on a pair of HD. It's like a psychological thing it's the final road when it comes to audiophile gear, so yes partly I've got them purely out of my ego :)
I know they won't show true potential without 300$+ amp, but I'm not aiming to squeez them 100% right now. I'll be perfectly happy if I manage 70-80% of their potential with sound card or some cheapo 100$ amp like yours fio e10 k, which I consider to buy. Then in the coming years I'll conider more serious amp when the budget allows me, and I wouldn't worry if massdrop drops another deal or not, since I will already have them. It's like an investment for the future :) Till then if I like 598SR they probably gonna be my most used home HD along with PX100-II, which is my comfort king.

Jul 13, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #7,084 of 7,535
Interesting, because I've just watched some comparison review and he says 598SE are rather A-shaped than V-shaped.....

It sure as hell isn't V shape. It doesn't even have enough bass to qualify it near V shape...

Jul 13, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #7,085 of 7,535
The 598 is nice for watching movies/TV, and gaming, but no good for music. It doesnt go loud enough, and when you DO turn it up in the slightest, the bass craps out and distorts.

Jul 13, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #7,086 of 7,535
@MixMasterMan
Oh please stop making me regret getting 598SR at a amazon prime day 89euros deal! After all these are marketed as a home AUDIO high-end phones, not a gaming one :) But I understand what U mean, probably too neutral for you... However it doesn't mean they're bad for music...

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #7,087 of 7,535
@MixMasterMan
Oh please stop making me regret getting 598SR at a amazon prime day 89euros deal! After all these are marketed as a home AUDIO high-end phones, not a gaming one :) But I understand what U mean, probably too neutral for you... However it doesn't mean they're bad for music...

Thats a good deal. But did you get them for music? - if so, if you like EDM/Rock/Pop/Rap, you may be dissapointed. The soundstage is great, of course, but they are very bass lite, and have a weird EQ in the mid through treble. A few cuts here and there, that make things choppy instead of smooth and linear. The treble def has a character that is unique/special though.

I wasn't following the thread, so don't know of you mentioned any preferences. For $100? For music? Its a toss up, but ATH-40x's are hard to beat at that price point.

Jul 13, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #7,088 of 7,535
It's Mid-centric according to this: https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD598.pdf

But I could be reading it wrong.

Without looking at any graphs, my ears say mid-centric... not that I feel like anything is missing. I need to find some time to try them with my tube amp which I have only had for a couple of weeks. I have only used them straight out of my Daps or with my portable amp (Fiio E12A) added to a DAP plus occasionally with my desktop setup.

Jul 13, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #7,089 of 7,535
@MixMasterMan

It is great for music. That is all I use it for and is the reason I bought it. Stop second guessing yourself and just enjoy your music and whatever else you choose to do with them. It's a headphone... not a new house or car...

Meanwhile... I am listening to what I bought on Amazon Prime Day... could not help doing it...
Editing to say I am quite enjoying these AKG240 mkii $55 Prime Day deal. Left to burn in overnight and listening off and on today while they continue to play on my desktop setup. I keep listening longer than I expected to. Kinda cheap build but sound great to me. Might be time to eat something...

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #7,090 of 7,535
The 598 is nice for watching movies/TV, and gaming, but no good for music. It doesnt go loud enough, and when you DO turn it up in the slightest, the bass craps out and distorts.
Define "music" and "loud enough"... They are perfect for my music.
Whenever I read this sort of comments I feel sorry for the poster's ears. I have a work colleague at my right hand, with closed back on-ears and I can hear his trance music blasting while I'm listening to my KSC75 (on softer passages). I feel sorry for him too.
Remember, It is impossible to fix your hearing once it's damaged.

Jul 13, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #7,091 of 7,535
Without looking at any graphs, my ears say mid-centric... not that I feel like anything is missing. I need to find some time to try them with my tube amp which I have only had for a couple of weeks. I have only used them straight out of my Daps or with my portable amp (Fiio E12A) added to a DAP plus occasionally with my desktop setup.

Yes, regardless of graphs, my ears say mid-centric, too, which is also the consensus.

Jul 13, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #7,092 of 7,535
It is great for music. That is all I use it for and is the reason I bought it. Stop second guessing yourself and just enjoy your music and whatever else you choose to do with them. It's a headphone... not a new house or car...

Meanwhile... I am listening to what I bought on Amazon Prime Day... could not help doing it...

This is the first pair of good quality headphones that I have and I still have it to this date. It is great for both music and gaming imo. Obviously it's not going to beat a $1000 high-end headphones out there but you are getting a lot out of these headphones consider how much they cost when it's on sale. I used them quite often until I upgraded my headphones.

Jul 13, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #7,093 of 7,535
This is the first pair of good quality headphones that I have and I still have it to this date. It is great for both music and gaming imo. Obviously it's not going to beat a $1000 high-end headphones out there but you are getting a lot out of these headphones consider how much they cost when it's on sale. I used them quite often until I upgraded my headphones.

High end is not always more enjoyable. I can enjoy my 598s for hours at a time but when I tried my husband's Audeze LCD X (about 10 times the cost of my 598s), I listened to two albums and my neck hurt so badly the next day that I knew I would never put them on again. I will say that what I heard did blow me away at the time. Carl Palmer,s drums were amazing! ...and I have seen him live and up close.

In the end comfort is more important than anything. As some of you younger people get older you will understand. Neck pain is no fun.

Meanwhile... these Amazon Prime deal AKGs are feeling light as a feather and I am happily enjoying my music even though I know they have not fully burned in (about 14 hours so far)... if burn in is real but that is a whole different discussion. I do it so I won't lose credibility in some threads... lol

Jul 13, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #7,094 of 7,535
High end is not always more enjoyable. I can enjoy my 598s for hours at a time but when I tried my husband's Audeze LCD X (about 10 times the cost of my 598s), I listened to two albums and my neck hurt so badly the next day that I knew I would never put them on again. I will say that what I heard did blow me away at the time. Carl Palmer,s drums were amazing! ...and I have seen him live and up close.

In the end comfort is more important than anything. As some of you younger people get older you will understand. Neck pain is no fun.

Meanwhile... these Amazon Prime deal AKGs are feeling light as a feather and I am happily enjoying my music even though I know they have not fully burned in (about 14 hours so far)... if burn in is real but that is a whole different discussion. I do it so I won't lose credibility in some threads... lol

I have the Audeze LCD-2, probably similar weight to your husband's LCD-X. Yes they are heavy and not that comfortable. The hd598 is one of the more comfortable headphones I tried.

Jul 13, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #7,095 of 7,535
Define "music" and "loud enough"... They are perfect for my music.
Whenever I read this sort of comments I feel sorry for the poster's ears. I have a work colleague at my right hand, with closed back on-ears and I can hear his trance music blasting while I'm listening to my KSC75 (on softer passages). I feel sorry for him too.
Remember, It is impossible to fix your hearing once it's damaged.

My hearing is fine. The 598 just can't handle bass quantity. It is already bass lite, so when you try to boost the bass to even things out, it will distort at louder volumes. Not blow your ears out volume! :) - If you don't mind a lack of low end and body, its all good. The 598's will get loud enough, just fine. Still, that missing low-mid and below "body" is detrimental for music (to me. And im a treble maniac, too!), and I feel there are better choices for music in the price range. It's all good. The 598 is a nice headphone, and at the price point, is one of the best (if not the best) open back's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back