Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Jun 6, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #6,391 of 7,535
  Could someone please post exactly where I can get an "audiophile" quality headphone cable mod for my Senn HD 598 SE?

TIA, delSol

http://www.amazon.com/Oyaide-Hpc-35hd598-1-3m-Headphone-Cable/dp/B00A71AFHU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_23_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=31WE4reqFoL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL320_SR320%2C320_&refRID=1BFTRA6WNXGAT0HBD6A2

Jun 6, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #6,392 of 7,535

€150 for a cable?  I don't think spending the approximate value of the headphones on a cable makes much sense, but each to their own.

Hi Hammy, you are completely right. But to me it makes a great value as I am enjoying my headphones extensively every day about year and a half for now. My philosophy is to squish maximum amount of performance from given product. You wont believe how superb my HD598 rig performs today.

Jun 6, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #6,393 of 7,535

Hi Hammy, you are completely right. But to me it makes a great value as I am enjoying my headphones extensively every day about year and a half for now. My philosophy is to squish maximum amount of performance from given product. You wont believe how superb my HD598 rig performs today.

I would argue that one would get better value spending €300-€350 (cost of HD598 + magic cable) on better headphones to begin with.  That's not to say HD598 aren't fantastic value at their pricepoint.

I'm sure the cable you suggested does indeed qualify as an "audiophile" cable, and I'm genuinely happy you're enjoying your setup.  .LT isn't that far, you could show me the benefits of silver. 
wink.gif

Jun 6, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #6,394 of 7,535

I would argue that one would get better value spending €300-€350 (cost of HD598 + magic cable) on better headphones to begin with.  That's not to say HD598 aren't fantastic value at their pricepoint.

I'm sure the cable you suggested does indeed qualify as an "audiophile" cable, and I'm genuinely happy you're enjoying your setup.  .LT isn't that far, you could show me the benefits of silver. 
wink.gif

That is the classic "teaching" here on head-fi.

Jun 10, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #6,395 of 7,535
So, I've auditioned them long enough and decided these are not for me. I got the Fiio E07K and I can tell no difference whatsoever either, in bass response or anything else, even when connecting to my phone, other than the fact I can increase the volume so much I could probably explode them if I increased it to the max. The sound is too distant and kinda veiled, I really don't like this kind of sound. If these are completely neutral and flat, after experimenting a lot with EQ I prefer a sound with emphasized highs and forward mids, and normal or very slightly emphasized bass response (as these are bass light and unable to reproduce a deceng low bass). I assume this kind of sonud that I like is v shaped without bloated bass.

I find these headphones VERY fatiguing because to get a more forward sound experience I raise the volume a lot. At my usual volume levels the mids and highs are too veiled and completely boring to me. The little Monk just sounds more pleasant because of its clarity and forward mids & highs. But now that I got used to the soundstage and superior 3D sound of the 598, the Monk seems a bit lacking in those aspects. So I'm going to need headphones that are basically the Monk blown up to full size. Can you recommend me something or should I start a thread?

Speaking of the E07K, it has the same sound as my phone or on board soundcard (which is the Realtek Alc 898). I assume my source are already of a good quality that does not benefit from an external DAC (my phone also supports USB dacs and there's no difference that I can hear other than the volume). Or that the 598 aren't good enough to notice any difference unless the source is extremely bad (such as my PC front panel audio). I also can't hear any difference between the long cable and the short cable on the 598, or between different usb cables going to the E07K.

Jun 10, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #6,396 of 7,535
  So, I've auditioned them long enough and decided these are not for me. I got the Fiio E07K and I can tell no difference whatsoever either, in bass response or anything else, even when connecting to my phone, other than the fact I can increase the volume so much I could probably explode them if I increased it to the max. The sound is too distant and kinda veiled, I really don't like this kind of sound. If these are completely neutral and flat, after experimenting a lot with EQ I prefer a sound with emphasized highs and forward mids, and normal or very slightly emphasized bass response (as these are bass light and unable to reproduce a deceng low bass). I assume this kind of sonud that I like is v shaped without bloated bass.

I find these headphones VERY fatiguing because to get a more forward sound experience I raise the volume a lot. At my usual volume levels the mids and highs are too veiled and completely boring to me. The little Monk just sounds more pleasant because of its clarity and forward mids & highs. But now that I got used to the soundstage and superior 3D sound of the 598, the Monk seems a bit lacking in those aspects. So I'm going to need headphones that are basically the Monk blown up to full size. Can you recommend me something or should I start a thread?

Speaking of the E07K, it has the same sound as my phone or on board soundcard (which is the Realtek Alc 898). I assume my source are already of a good quality that does not benefit from an external DAC (my phone also supports USB dacs and there's no difference that I can hear other than the volume). Or that the 598 aren't good enough to notice any difference unless the source is extremely bad (such as my PC front panel audio). I also can't hear any difference between the long cable and the short cable on the 598, or between different usb cables going to the E07K.

Based on what you describe you'd like, I think you should forget about open back and try the ATH M50x or CAL! if on a budget. They both have a more "immediate" sound, not "distant", more dynamic and pumped up, and I think you may like that.

Jun 11, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #6,397 of 7,535

Based on what you describe you'd like, I think you should forget about open back and try the ATH M50x or CAL! if on a budget. They both have a more "immediate" sound, not "distant", more dynamic and pumped up, and I think you may like that.

Unfortunately the M50x, are too isolating and I don't like that. I tried the old M50 (not x) and they were alright with SQ as far as I remember, but they were very heavy and not very comfortable due to the closed design.

Is there really no open back with a more forward sound experience for the same price? A semi-open would be fine too.

Jun 11, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #6,399 of 7,535
@MRK1  Most of the other open cans I've tried are all close to $300.  I can recommend some if you're willing to spend that much, but aside from the X2, none of the open cans have accentuated bass.  I tried Grado SR80i a while back and they were too bright/trebly for my taste and couldn't reproduce very low bass (no good for EDM or rap/hip-hop).  Plus, they didn't really have a wide spacious 3D sound.

The Koss Porta Pro are very good for their price.  Maybe start there, and if not enough for you, work your way up.

Jun 11, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #6,400 of 7,535
@MRK1 recommendations, off the top of my head I can recommend the Superlux HD681 EVO, really great price!!! I really enjoy those a lot!
In fact if I had a choice of keeping either my $150.00 HD598 or the $45.00 HD681 ... I would lose the HD598's without hesitation. The HD681 Comes with 2 different pads as well. Has a great funky bass to it. semi open design. Only big negative for me is the design... they appear a tad weird wearing them but I use them indoors or around the house for gaming, music and games. lol

Jun 11, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #6,401 of 7,535

Being proud user of HD598's this offends me a lot.

Jun 11, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #6,403 of 7,535
If he doesn't like them then so be it, his opinions shouldn't affect our enjoyment of these great headphones. I bought 2 pairs of VE monks on the latest massdrop, so I'll compare them to the 598 to see the difference on sound once I get them later this month.

Jun 11, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #6,405 of 7,535
All in good fun my man.

Haha yeah I know, I just see people getting offended by others opinions allot on here and I just wanted to give some positive vibes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back