Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Jun 4, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #6,376 of 7,535
Do you just cut it off? And also do you know exactly the changes that it makes?

I cut it using paper scissors, it's not a difficult mod to perform. As for the changes, the soundstage got even bigger and the bass got a teeny bit better pronounced.

Jun 4, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #6,377 of 7,535
Hd650s on the way on Monday, will do some back to back testing with the hd598se for those interested. I'm not usually a proponent of extensive burn in but everything I've read on these say it improves them. We shall see!

Jun 4, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #6,378 of 7,535
Hey guys,
I have a pair of HD598 Special Edition, still brand new and sealed because I would like to know what interface should I get before opening them.

I read that these headphones are very easy to drive so I suppose it's better to not use an amp in order to avoid altered sound signature, distortion or even SNR. Right?

So my question is: does an audio interface (such as Focusrite Scarlett) provide good sound quality on HD598?

Jun 4, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #6,380 of 7,535
  Hey guys,
I have a pair of HD598 Special Edition, still brand new and sealed because I would like to know what interface should I get before opening them.

I read that these headphones are very easy to drive so I suppose it's better to not use an amp in order to avoid altered sound signature, distortion or even SNR. Right?

So my question is: does an audio interface (such as Focusrite Scarlett) provide good sound quality on HD598?

Focusrite has a pretty decent amp/dac section. Should be fine.

Jun 4, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #6,381 of 7,535
  Decent DAC/Amp combo would be the purest and best solutions for you.

But I know that Audioengine D1, for example, is not ideal with low impedance heaadphones such HD598, because its output impedance is too high (10 ohms).
Is there somewhere a list of DAC/amp that have less than 5ohms output impedance?

Focusrite has ap retty dacent amp/dac section. Should be fine.

Thanks for the reply. Focusrite Scarlett is my main choice at the moment.

Jun 4, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #6,382 of 7,535
But I know that Audioengine D1, for example, is not ideal with low impedance heaadphones such HD598, because its output impedance is too high (10 ohms).
Is there somewhere a list of DAC/amp that have less than 5ohms output impedance?

I don't know the actual specs, but people say that one of the best pairings for the 598 is the Schitt Magni2 and Modi2 stack. Double benefit since it's very budget-friendly: you can have a champion DAC/amp combo for 200 bucks. If you want to add tubes, you can replace the Magni for the Vali for only about $50 more.

Myself, I haven't tried it yet, but I'm planning to get the Modi2 DAC and the Vali2 amp.

Jun 4, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #6,383 of 7,535
The problem is that I also need monitor speakers output for my Alesis Elevate 5 active.
So, with Magni 2 Uber, the combo starts to be less budget-friendly.

By the way I would like to know how much ohms Magni 2 delivers on headphones output impedance.

P.S: just curious, why Schiit doesn't provide black finish on Magni like they do on Asgard? In my opinion it could look even better.

Jun 5, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #6,385 of 7,535
I don't know the actual specs, but people say that one of the best pairings for the 598 is the Schitt Magni2 and Modi2 stack. Double benefit since it's very budget-friendly: you can have a champion DAC/amp combo for 200 bucks. If you want to add tubes, you can replace the Magni for the Vali for only about $50 more.

Myself, I haven't tried it yet, but I'm planning to get the Modi2 DAC and the Vali2 amp.

I have the original Modi and Magni2U on my iMac that sound terrific with my HD598SE. I also have a Vali2 that I've paired the Modi and it too is a great match withe 598SE.

Jun 5, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #6,386 of 7,535
Had the Modi&Magni combo. Sounded terrific with the HD598.

Jun 6, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #6,390 of 7,535
  Could someone please post exactly where I can get an "audiophile" quality headphone cable mod for my Senn HD 598 SE?

TIA, delSol

I don't know what "audophile" quality headphone cable means, as I've never heard a difference between cables.  So my recommendation would be this one from eBay which I (and many others ITT) have purchased: http://goo.gl/e9m8WU.

Hi delSol, please refer to my review: http://www.head-fi.org/t/573899/sennheiser-hd518-hd558-hd598-support-thread/870#post_11268343

€150 for a cable?  I don't think spending the approximate value of the headphones on a cable makes much sense, but each to their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back