Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Jun 2, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #6,361 of 7,532
  I just tore it more or less. It is a large piece but the sides are cut in. I just left that plastic web on. I would insert pictures, but it says that I don't have the needed permissions for that. (Maybe because my account is new or something). I guess I could post them somewhere else if you want.

I would like to see too. I have the 598SE one and feel like the soundstage isn't as good as some reviewers mention and I always get the vocals back of my head never in front. I would love to have some improvement.

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #6,362 of 7,532
Example of bass done wrong. Go straight at 2:30 and play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HKVvcNOQb0

If this is the kind of distorsion that you guys are getting, a lot of it might be in the source.
I can't stop wondering how much ****ty music is recorded today... How much compression and distort and garbage.
I bet the guy that mastered this is very proud of that sound. A lot of music is done this way, because the bass needs to shatter the speakers otherwise it doesn't sell... Tragic.

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #6,363 of 7,532
  Example of bass done wrong. Go straight at 2:30 and play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HKVvcNOQb0

If this is the kind of distorsion that you guys are getting, a lot of it might be in the source.
I can't stop wondering how much ****ty music is recorded today... How much compression and distort and garbage.
I bet the guy that mastered this is very proud of that sound. A lot of music is done this way, because the bass needs to shatter the speakers otherwise it doesn't sell... Tragic.

One of the worst 60 secs of my life. Thanks for sharing though. Sometimes need to experience other side of the world too.

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #6,364 of 7,532
  One of the worst 60 secs of my life. Thanks for sharing though. Sometimes need to experience other side of the world too.

Yep, listened to the whole album, same sound, deleted.
Culprit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-cPl-VfUiQ

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #6,365 of 7,532
Did you note any change in sound? Curious because the NewFantasia has a 3 ring plug, instead of the 4-ring found on Sennheiser plug.

No, the sound is identical to my ears, and besides, the sennheiser cable splits the ground at the jack, but it still plugs in with a 3 pole so the signal is identical at the headphones anyway.

Jun 2, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #6,367 of 7,532
And because I gave an exemple of bass done wrong, I must give one of bass done right also :p
Different music genre but you can tell the quality of the recording even on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn4Isj3-_pI
For a treat to your ears get this album : Rachelle Ferrell - Individuality

Jun 2, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #6,369 of 7,532
The only issue I have with my 598SE is that the pads are squeaky. They squeak on my glasses and it drives me crazy when I'm doing allot of head turning (usually while working on a design in photoshop with it spread across my two monitors)

Does anyone know of replacement pads that dont squeak but keep the sound signature of the originals?

Jun 3, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #6,370 of 7,532
  And because I gave an exemple of bass done wrong, I must give one of bass done right also :p
Different music genre but you can tell the quality of the recording even on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn4Isj3-_pI
For a treat to your ears get this album : Rachelle Ferrell - Individuality

Indeed really good. Never heard her before. Had to get the album.

Jun 3, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #6,371 of 7,532
  The only issue I have with my 598SE is that the pads are squeaky. They squeak on my glasses and it drives me crazy when I'm doing allot of head turning (usually while working on a design in photoshop with it spread across my two monitors)

Does anyone know of replacement pads that dont squeak but keep the sound signature of the originals?

As a glasses wearer myself, I know what you mean. I used to get squeaking and creaking every time I moved my head, now it only happens when I twist and tilt my head to the extremes (like petting my cat on the floor while seated in my computer chair
tongue.gif
). How long have you had the HD598 SE? The pads should produce quite a bit less squeaking/creaking once they have softened up. Truthfully I find it's that way with most headphone ear pads that start off somewhat stiffer than others (like my 99 Classics).

beerchug.gif

Jun 3, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #6,372 of 7,532

As a glasses wearer myself, I know what you mean. I used to get squeaking and creaking every time I moved my head, now it only happens when I twist and tilt my head to the extremes (like petting my cat on the floor while seated in my computer chair
tongue.gif
). How long have you had the HD598 SE? The pads should produce quite a bit less squeaking/creaking once they have softened up. Truthfully I find it's that way with most headphone ear pads that start off somewhat stiffer than others (like my 99 Classics).

beerchug.gif

I've had them since black friday 2015. Before that I had ath ad900x and they didnt squeak at all, the material on the ear pads was a bit loose of the foam, so maybe that is why. Also I used the same razer carcharias headset for pc gaming with voice chat for about 6 years (late 08-14) and they never squeaked either, although compared to the ATH or Sennys they sounded like crap.

The squeak has calmed down to more of a creaking since I bought them, so not as bad as it was when they were new. If I put on my old glasses frames they dont squeak at all... Both are the same Oakly servo XL. I guess the arms are worn enough that they aren't shiny anymore and don't squeak. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back