Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Jun 11, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #6,406 of 7,535
  So, I've auditioned them long enough and decided these are not for me. I got the Fiio E07K and I can tell no difference whatsoever either, in bass response or anything else, even when connecting to my phone, other than the fact I can increase the volume so much I could probably explode them if I increased it to the max. The sound is too distant and kinda veiled, I really don't like this kind of sound. If these are completely neutral and flat, after experimenting a lot with EQ I prefer a sound with emphasized highs and forward mids, and normal or very slightly emphasized bass response (as these are bass light and unable to reproduce a deceng low bass). I assume this kind of sonud that I like is v shaped without bloated bass.

I find these headphones VERY fatiguing because to get a more forward sound experience I raise the volume a lot. At my usual volume levels the mids and highs are too veiled and completely boring to me. The little Monk just sounds more pleasant because of its clarity and forward mids & highs. But now that I got used to the soundstage and superior 3D sound of the 598, the Monk seems a bit lacking in those aspects. So I'm going to need headphones that are basically the Monk blown up to full size. Can you recommend me something or should I start a thread?

Speaking of the E07K, it has the same sound as my phone or on board soundcard (which is the Realtek Alc 898). I assume my source are already of a good quality that does not benefit from an external DAC (my phone also supports USB dacs and there's no difference that I can hear other than the volume). Or that the 598 aren't good enough to notice any difference unless the source is extremely bad (such as my PC front panel audio). I also can't hear any difference between the long cable and the short cable on the 598, or between different usb cables going to the E07K.

Consider yourself lucky.  I wish I could not hear the difference in the equipment you are describing.  I would have saved a small fortune.  lol...

Jun 11, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #6,408 of 7,535
Jun 12, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #6,410 of 7,535
I'm seeing a pair of Beats in his future lol

Seriously doubt it.. Even the Sennheiser Momentum In Ear was too bass heavy for me.

If he doesn't like them then so be it, his opinions shouldn't affect our enjoyment of these great headphones. I bought 2 pairs of VE monks on the latest massdrop, so I'll compare them to the 598 to see the difference on sound once I get them later this month.

You can already start a "for sale" thread since your 598 will become useless once you get the Monk
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #6,411 of 7,535
You can already start a "for sale" thread since your 598 will become useless once you get the Monk :tongue_smile:

Haha yeah I doubt it, I much prefer the open sound signature to anything that forward. I also have HD650s now, so the 598s are on the back burner anyway. The monks were a curiosity purchase for me since they were only $5, and I don't like earphones/buds to begin with. I have M50x and while they sound good, they are too forward and closed in for my taste.

Jun 15, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #6,412 of 7,535
I fully agree with you on the cable part. One day I was listening and I wondered why they didn't sound right. Come to find out it was inserted... just not all the way. I bought the ivory ones and can't believe how neutral they are. It's like a window into the recording process. Bad recordings certainly retain their nasties. Fantastic recordings are marvelous. I am so happy with mine.

Jun 15, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #6,413 of 7,535
Finally sold my HD598. There was nothing wrong with them, I just don't like the idea of keeping headphones I no longer use.
They were superseded by my Shure SRH1840. If anybody here wants a straight-up upgrade from the HD598 with more EQ potential, give these headphones a chance.

Jun 15, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #6,414 of 7,535
Nice. Those look very sweet! 

Jun 17, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #6,415 of 7,535
ALL HD598 fans/owners:

Do yourselves a giant favor and get a silver cable for this headphone.  I did and couldn't believe how awesome it sounds now.  More clarity, and a wholly unexpected deep bass addition (not a transformation to a basshead can, just an audible and welcome slight boost).

Jun 18, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #6,417 of 7,535
  ALL HD598 fans/owners:

Do yourselves a giant favor and get a silver cable for this headphone.  I did and couldn't believe how awesome it sounds now.  More clarity, and a wholly unexpected deep bass addition (not a transformation to a basshead can, just an audible and welcome slight boost).

Absolutely agree.

Jun 18, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #6,419 of 7,535
I would contact Trevor at Norne Audio.  He is the best, and very accomodating. Though it takes time I have never been disappointed by his work.

The one I am using is from AudioMinor (compicatx on eBay).  I have to caveat that when I got the braid it was super tight, so there was no flexibility, it was hard as a wire - and as consequence, extremely microphonic.  I loosened the braids by "scrunching" the cable lengthwise, separating them, improving flexibility and microphonics considerably.

Jun 18, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #6,420 of 7,535
  ALL HD598 fans/owners:

Do yourselves a giant favour and get a silver cable for this headphone. 

I still think copper is king, and I have an OCC upgrade cable coming my way. It did magic for both my M4U 1 and Grado SR60e. Hopefully it won't get lost in transit like my USB cables. 
cool.gif

BTW, we are talking about an actual silver cable, and not plated yes?

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back