Sennheiser HD 428 vs Ultrasone HFI-580
Aug 27, 2011 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

cha0sh3r0

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I currently own a pair of HD 428s, and I am looking for a upgrade, with my budget at ~$150, as I feel that they are not my type especially for rock. I am looking at the Ultrasone HFI-580s with their huge bass, but with their huge price difference( ~$120+ including shipping since I got the HD428s for $35), I am wondering whether the upgrade is worth the money. I mainly listen to rock, pop and acoustic songs. So here are a few questions about the Ultrasone HFI-580:

1) How is their soundstage and instrumental separation compared to the HD 428s? 
2) Are the mids and the highs better than the HD428s?
3) How are the vocals compared to the HD428s?
4) Ultimately, are they worth the 120 dollars for the upgrade?

Thanks in advance, and feel free to recommend any other closed headphones. :)

Aug 27, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #2 of 6
1. A lot better, $100 cans are starters, so anything lower are getting very tricky. Bass usually closes soundstage while also distorts separation. You need a really hast driver like a T50RP or Pro900 driver to put bass in it's place. That rhymed.
2. Mids would be lowered and highs wouldn't be as sparkly. Keep in mind your headphones are LOW on the scale. You don't get much out of them.
3. Bass = less highs.
4. Not really since they would be a bad choice for your Genres

Not when I think Rock and Acoustics, I think Grado. A Grado Sr80i with L-cush cups would be a much better choice. They got your highs with a awesomely clear mids with enough bass while also giving you great separation.

Other then that, there are M50's.

On the other hand, Koss Dj100's with MDR-V6 pads would fit your bill perfect. Dj style with Grado sound and the V6 pads improve the bass and comfort.

I would go Koss DJ100's, save up the rest of the money and buy a FiiO E9 later

Aug 27, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #3 of 6
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have read about the DJ100s, and it seems that they need an amp to perform well, and since I am going to use this pair of headphones on-the-go, I would probably not be considering an amp. That being said, are the DJ100s still much better than the HFI-580s unamped? 

Aug 27, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have read about the DJ100s, and it seems that they need an amp to perform well, and since I am going to use this pair of headphones on-the-go, I would probably not be considering an amp. That being said, are the DJ100s still much better than the HFI-580s unamped? 

They run at 38 ohms, 32 is the standard for portable.

You might some distortion at very high volumes and might need to turn your player up a bar or two, but there wouldn't be much problem. I mean, Koss Portapro's run at like 60ohms and still are considered amp-less/

I didn't have a problem with amping with them. A FiiO E5 helps them out a little bit too.

THe HFI-580 wouldn't be the best choice and I know the DJ100's have better Sound Quality

Aug 28, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #5 of 6
Hmm but doing a search here has revealed that an unamped DJ100s are not as good as the M50s, and I have personally tried the M50s and the HFi-580s and preferred the latter. So, I don't really think that the Dj100s will satisfy my needs if they are not amped. Are there any more suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back